Blow that Dough! - 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Booked tickets to Prague in May. My DB is there on a Fulbright Scholarship so we're going to land and wing it! Let the train take us where it may. Stay in hotels on the spur of the moment. Wonder the streets like vagabonds. Can't wait to see Vienna.

Received the Sansung Galaxy 10.1" tablet that I ordered on Black Friday. The screen/picture is stunning! I'm so glad to get away from the Kindle Fire and its limitations.

The "guards" really, really obscure your view of the world. Not sure they are good!

You are good. When I worked at a residential construcion company first thing we did when we got the saw was take the guard off but put it in the truck in case we were inspected.

The key is to only raise the blade to the height of the material you are cutting.

Saw a co-worker cut a 2x4, then quickly throw a piece of plywood up, and ended up cutting the tip of his finger off since the blade depth was so high. Always adjust down!

Booked tickets to Prague in May. My DB is there on a Fulbright Scholarship so we're going to land and wing it!

Magnificent city (although overrun with tourists). One of the best tram systems I've ever seen, so very easy to get around. You'll definitely enjoy it.

400$ on Blaze pizza gift cards. Got 20 free pizza passes with the purchase.

I'm a big fan.

Received the Sansung Galaxy 10.1" tablet that I ordered on Black Friday. The screen/picture is stunning! I'm so glad to get away from the Kindle Fire and its limitations.

Can you elaborate on the Fire shortcomings ? Amazon is practically giving them away lately... have been awful tempted although I don't really need one.

blowing the dough this winter: running the thermostat at 71 and not turning it down at night! (the dog is cold at less than 105).

blowing the dough this winter: running the thermostat at 71 and not turning it down at night! (the dog is cold at less than 105).

Although I'm a saver at heart, indoor temperature is one thing I've never compromised at to save money. I've taken it a step further though and in summer will now leave the windows open all day if it's not excessively hot, then close them at night and cool it down with the AC.

I just feel like posting this 1993 song by Alain Souchon, "Foule Sentimentale", which I posted before. Just found out that I first did that one year ago. Somehow it felt like a lot longer than that.

* I can imagine BBBAMI dancing to this song.

Foule Sentimentale / Sentimental Fool
Oh la la la vie en rose / Oh la la the rosy life
Le rose qu'on nous propose / The rose they sell us
D'avoir les quantités des choses / To have lots of stuff
Qui donnent envie d'autre chose / Which makes us want even more
Aïe, on nous fait croire / Aye, they make us believe
Que le bonheur c'est d'avoir / Happiness is to own
De l'avoir plein nos armoires / To have our chests full of stuff...

Can you elaborate on the Fire shortcomings ? Amazon is practically giving them away lately... have been awful tempted although I don't really need one.

Limited apps is my only complaint. You can jailbreak them though.
But so cheap they're worth it.

New today: From this day forward we will not wash and re-use ziplock bags! (well, may still re-use the ones that just had bread in them).

We do still re-use dryer sheets though.

Limited selection of apps because Google and Amazon don't play well together. Plus I like the native Android interface much better than Fire's dumbed down interface.

New today: From this day forward we will not wash and re-use ziplock bags! (well, may still re-use the ones that just had bread in them).

Now you've really gone off the deep end.

Limited apps is my only complaint. You can jailbreak them though. But so cheap they're worth it.

Limited selection of apps because Google and Amazon don't play well together. Plus I like the native Android interface much better than Fire's dumbed down interface.

Thanks all. I have a laptop so only use a tablet for Netflix and Youtube basically. The 10" Fire is really cheap so I might grab one.

Cheers.

Thanks all. I have a laptop so only use a tablet for Netflix and Youtube basically. The 10" Fire is really cheap so I might grab one.

Cheers.

I bought one.
I consider the Fire HD 10 to be really worth it.

As for the limited app part, it is simple to fix.
I downloaded 4 files, and installed them.
Now I have Amazon apps available via Amazon, and google apps available via google play store.

No difficult jail break needed.

I used it when I went camping. I downloaded a bunch of Netflix movies and Amazon movies (I had free Prime at the time) and I have a netflix subscription. Then I watched the movies off-line when didn't have internet access.

We also watched an offline movie/show while on a flight recently.

And thus your 4 star recycles dryer sheet rating. :D

Last edited:
I bought one.
I consider the Fire HD 10 to be really worth it.

As for the limited app part, it is simple to fix.
I downloaded 4 files, and installed them.
Now I have Amazon apps available via Amazon, and google apps available via google play store.

No difficult jail break needed.
What 4 files? Is it an APK extractor, or something else?

There is a trade-in deal for kindles now. https://smile.amazon.com/b/ref=gbps_tit_m-2_5eab_8f666711?&node=10825011011&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
Send an old one back and get 25% off of a new, plus you might get trade-in value. I'm getting $30 for my old 8.9, bought in 2012. They verify the condition when they receive it.

I don't know if I'm going to get a new one since I have an HD 8 that is fine, but I'm going to get rid of this old one I had to search for.

What 4 files? Is it an APK extractor, or something else?

There is a trade-in deal for kindles now. https://smile.amazon.com/b/ref=gbps_tit_m-2_5eab_8f666711?&node=10825011011&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
Send an old one back and get 25% off of a new, plus you might get trade-in value. I'm getting $30 for my old 8.9, bought in 2012. They verify the condition when they receive it.

I don't know if I'm going to get a new one since I have an HD 8 that is fine, but I'm going to get rid of this old one I had to search for.

Here is a YouTube that has the links and explains how to do this on your Fire. I did this and it works great.
https://youtu.be/i4UdEo5mCnI

You are good. When I worked at a residential construcion company first thing we did when we got the saw was take the guard off but put it in the truck in case we were inspected.

The key is to only raise the blade to the height of the material you are cutting.

Saw a co-worker cut a 2x4, then quickly throw a piece of plywood up, and ended up cutting the tip of his finger off since the blade depth was so high. Always adjust down!

Never do “quickly” with a power tool...

Could have cut half his hand off at the palm. :nonono:

Update on my 10/24 post (#874)

Dropped $3500 when it was it was all over, $800 of it with the favorite HS GF:) Really enjoyed the Dom with her ;)

To say that part of the trip "went well" is an understatement, already planning another B-T-D opportunity with her.....

I hosted the aforementioned "favorite HS GF" (post #909) in the 850 for 5 days last week. Definitely blew the dough-over $1,200:
Gulf view condo for her-$600
Waterfront dining (dinner and 2 lunches)-$550 (got a bottle of Dom at good price :))
Miscellaneous food and dining-$100

Well worth it, and my kids like her. DD said "third time's a charm!"

We're meeting in TX for NYE and that looks like another 2 grand, good way to end the year ;)

So the "favorite HS GF" is now just "DGF" :)

Last edited:
I hosted the aforementioned "favorite HS GF" (post #909) in the 850 for 5 days last week. Definitely blew the dough-over $1,200:
Gulf view condo for her-$600
Waterfront dining (dinner and 2 lunches)-$550 (got a bottle of Dom at good price :))
Miscellaneous food and dining-$100

Well worth it, and my kids like her. DD said "third time's a charm!"

We're meeting in TX for NYE and that looks like another 2 grand, good way to end the year ;)

So the "favorite HS GF" is now just "DGF" :)

Well, that's great! :cool:

Market "dropped" about 6 figures from the portfolio the last two months.
Blow that dough!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom