Blow that Dough 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very nice and thanks for sharing.

I have another thread on this topic but I'm going to purchase my wife a 2 carrot Dimond ring for our 38th anniversary and present it to her in February of next year on a Caribbean cruise. I've already sold some assets for the purchase. I must say it is nice collecting 4.5% interest on the ring money at an online bank while I do my ring research :D

Great looking upgrade. I'm guessing you've added significantly more to your home's value than you spent. Good investment!

I must say it is nice collecting 4.5% interest on the ring money at an online bank while I do my ring research :D

I agree. Now that I think of it, over the last couple of months I've BTD'd $270,000 on CDs paying 5+% with maturities of 6 and 12 months. And yes, I do have plenty in equities. Crazy times.

I agree. Now that I think of it, over the last couple of months I've BTD'd $270,000 on CDs paying 5+% with maturities of 6 and 12 months. And yes, I do have plenty in equities. Crazy times.

Yeah, I wish I had some cash! A lesson to all you young'uns. DON'T put all your money into tIRAs and 401(k)s.

Yeah, I wish I had some cash! A lesson to all you young'uns. DON'T put all your money into tIRAs and 401(k)s.

All my T Bill and CD buying is IN my IRA so I don't have to pay income tax (yet) on the interest. Other securities are in my taxable brokerage account.

I assume what you have in your tax deferred accounts is "money" in the form of securities? You can sell those, you know, and buy CD's T bills, etc. if you want to join the parade.

Also, you can use funds from RMDs for fixed income purchases if you like.

I have another thread on this topic but I'm going to purchase my wife a 2 carrot Dimond ring for our 38th anniversary and present it to her in February of next year on a Caribbean cruise. I've already sold some assets for the purchase. I must say it is nice collecting 4.5% interest on the ring money at an online bank while I do my ring research :D

Yes - I remember. I have been getting all sorts of ads popping up on my phone and computer since your thread. :LOL: It's a good thing I enjoy looking at jewelry!

We did a quick weekend to Boston to see a baseball game at Fenway and can cross that stadium off our list. Expensive, but worth it. The hotel was over $500 with parking but 2 blocks from the stadium. Worth every penny.

All my T Bill and CD buying is IN my IRA so I don't have to pay income tax (yet) on the interest. Other securities are in my taxable brokerage account.

I assume what you have in your tax deferred accounts is "money" in the form of securities? You can sell those, you know, and buy CD's T bills, etc. if you want to join the parade.

Also, you can use funds from RMDs for fixed income purchases if you like.

I'm okay with what my securities are doing right now within my 401(k). I just don't have any cash right now to get some of the nice CDs floating around.

RMDs are already spoken for.

Just wishful thinking on my part, I guess.

We did a quick weekend to Boston to see a baseball game at Fenway and can cross that stadium off our list. Expensive, but worth it. The hotel was over $500 with parking but 2 blocks from the stadium. Worth every penny.
That's a retirement goal I'm musing with, see a game at every stadium....or, at least, start with Fenway, Wrigley, Yankees (haven't been there in 30+ years, I'm sure it's very different), SF Giants game, maybe, and then see if/when I get tired of it!

We plan to hit KC and St. Louis in August, and the 2 Florida stadiums in September. That will make 7 for the year.

Wriggly next June when the Mets visit. Really looking forward to that one.

DH is taking "the boys" (DS, DSiL, DGS age 7) to Seattle for a weekend baseball experience. Staying in the Hilton Embassy Suites, 0.5 miles from the stadium, so it's walkable for the game. DGS first baseball game!
DH and I are also going up for a two night stay in September for our 45the anniversary.
Seattle has become so expensive from the last time we went there!

I'm okay with what my securities are doing right now within my 401(k). I just don't have any cash right now to get some of the nice CDs floating around.

RMDs are already spoken for.

Just wishful thinking on my part, I guess.

Do you have anything that you're not keen on and could sell and use the proceeds to buy those nice CDs?

When I was on a ship recently, they had one of those fancy fully automatic espresso machines. The kind where you just push a button to get an espresso, cappuccino, latte, americano, whatever you want. I liked the coffee it produced so much I found myself using it several times a day, and wondered about getting something like that for home.

Turned out it was a $20K machine, but a bit of searching turned up a highly recommended semi-automatic machine that did the same thing with just a bit of manual input, and only cost $1K. So I went ahead and bought one.

I'm just delighted with it. Very little effort and it turns out the best coffee drinks I've ever had at home. Self-cleaning as well, which means a lot for as little use as it gets here. That was some dough well worth blowing!

Those coffee machines were at every hotel and on the boat on my recent trip to Croatia, and I loved them as well. Care to share what machine you bought? I don't think I am blowing enough dough with my Nespresso machine.

When I was on a ship recently, they had one of those fancy fully automatic espresso machines. The kind where you just push a button to get an espresso, cappuccino, latte, americano, whatever you want. I liked the coffee it produced so much I found myself using it several times a day, and wondered about getting something like that for home.

Turned out it was a $20K machine, but a bit of searching turned up a highly recommended semi-automatic machine that did the same thing with just a bit of manual input, and only cost $1K. So I went ahead and bought one.

I'm just delighted with it. Very little effort and it turns out the best coffee drinks I've ever had at home. Self-cleaning as well, which means a lot for as little use as it gets here. That was some dough well worth blowing!

Those coffee machines were at every hotel and on the boat on my recent trip to Croatia, and I loved them as well. Care to share what machine you bought? I don't think I am blowing enough dough with my Nespresso machine.

Those commercial machines must require a lot of maintenance, with the volume of beverages they put out.

I got rid of my Illy capsule machine, still have an espresso but went for Aeropress.

It’s all manual but it’s not too bad. I use ground up coffee rather than beans and grinding my own.

It doesn’t produce crema so if I want espresso drinks, either go to a cafe or fire up the Nespresso.

I want to avoid buying more Nestle products. While there are a lot of good third party capsules, most of them don’t have recycling programs. Peet’s does have recycling and they sell Peet’s capsules at Costco for a great price, much less than Nespresso. Then they have occasional sales which make them really cheap.

We "Just" purchased this one from Amazon on Sale for under $300. Now we do not drink Lattes, and if we decided to, Milk Frothers are cheap.

We have had the real expensive ~$1000 ones too before, we found that they all need some TLC and good regular Cleaning. Our last one' an upscale DeLongui got to the point where we could not get the right parts and Even this Engineer had a problem dismantling it to get to the failed parts, it ended up in the trash when I gave up. "O" rings were easy to get but that was it.

This one requires less cleaning, but still needs TLC, but is a lot cheaper than our last one. When it carks it we will buy a new one. I added an AutoFill system for the water reservoir so all it needs is Beans. Easier than going to Starbucks.

https://tchibo.us/products/the-tchibo

Attachments

• 41Ln6Yh1pRS.jpg
    41Ln6Yh1pRS.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 54
We "Just" purchased this one from Amazon on Sale for under $300. Now we do not drink Lattes, and if we decided to, Milk Frothers are cheap.

We have had the real expensive ~$1000 ones too before, we found that they all need some TLC and good regular Cleaning. Our last one' an upscale DeLongui got to the point where we could not get the right parts and Even this Engineer had a problem dismantling it to get to the failed parts, it ended up in the trash when I gave up. "O" rings were easy to get but that was it.

This one requires less cleaning, but still needs TLC, but is a lot cheaper than our last one. When it carks it we will buy a new one. I added an AutoFill system for the water reservoir so all it needs is Beans. Easier than going to Starbucks.

https://tchibo.us/products/the-tchibo

Curious...what's the max amount of coffee (in ounces) this can prepare in one brew? It's not in the specs.

Put a deposit on this today. Will be the third RV for us since 2006. Had 2 others for 3-4 year stints. Will take a 24 hour round trip (not at once!) drive to pick it up in the midwest in April. Some real sweet deals on these trailers lately.

Plan is to escape New England winters with it starting this fall....

Attachments

• 187RB.jpg
    187RB.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 68
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom