Blow that Dough 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
Around the world in 24 days? In a group of 75? Oh boy. I don't think this way of BTD is for me.

I much prefer to spend 24 days exploring just a much smaller part of the world.

Absolutely!

We hope our kid at some point gets posted to Australia so we can visit him there.

But given such a long trip we'd be spending at least 24 days there.

Maybe take the train from Sydney to Adelaide to Darwin.

I paid $5.12 for a dozen of large eggs yesterday at WM. We're heading for the $1/egg pricing!

Whao! I had to check my last (Norwegian) shopping receipt and I paid around 39 cents per egg. And that is with the current inflated prices.

Whao! I had to check my last (Norwegian) shopping receipt and I paid around 39 cents per egg. And that is with the current inflated prices.

I looked at restaurants around Scandinavian capitals, and saw prices that made me want to visit Italy again, where restaurant prices were even lower than in the US now.

I am going to look at grocery prices in Scandinavia next to satisfy my curiosity.

I looked at restaurants around Scandinavian capitals, and saw prices that made me want to visit Italy again, where restaurant prices were even lower than in the US now.

I am going to look at grocery prices in Scandinavia next to satisfy my curiosity.

The farmers unions are very strong in Norway so we are (in)famous for expensive groceries combined with poor selection. So plenty of opportunities to Blow that Dough! :D

But having said that - the food choices that are available are mostly good/excellent quality.

And as a country we are proud of the fact that our chickens do not have salmonella. So please enjoy raw eggs - or runny ones - if that is your thing.

Egg prices are due to the Avian flu.

Went to the store, the egg section was half empty.

I paid $5.12 for a dozen of large eggs yesterday at WM. We're heading for the $1/egg pricing!

I guess when an egg sells at the same price as a pound of chicken - it's time to change protein sources.:LOL:

This whole issue "should" sort itself out eventually. In the mean time, I still think of eggs as a fairly good protein source - and worth the price (usually.) But YMMV.

I don't care about protein, I care about flavor.

If I want (or need for recipe), Imma gonna buy some eggs.

Easy.

We decided to replace our 20+ year old working-but-getting-more-finnicky Sears Kenmore washing machine. Soon after installing a refurbished timer to keep it going, it started acting up by stopping during the cycle. We could restart by pressing the dial a few times, but that was getting old. We no longer saw a reason to remain "frugal" with it.

We did not need anything fancy, no need for internet connectivity to tell us "the rise cycle has just started" :). We bought a GE Hotpoint washing machine that we caught on sale for under $500. So far, so good. Iinterestingly the new machines use much less water for the loads in the wash cycle, things change in 20 years. Now that we are not washing loads generated by a houseful of kids, we should give this one less wear and tear.

The timing was good as we were able to donate the old machine to a local youth fundraiser that was collecting scrap metal. The same day the new machine was delivered, the fundraiser folks came and removed the old washer for free. Win-win!

I’m totally mortified by the water dripping from the ceiling onto the grand piano!

I walked around the old club today and was relieved to see that the grand piano was moved and the finish appears fine. That piano is probably the most valuable single item in the entire ca 1913 clubhouse, which itself is a Roaring 20s time capsule, musty smell and all.

It’s comical how much maintenance needs to be done. The owner is a neighborhood millionaire but it would be quite helpful to the membership if the next owner is a billionaire. There’s hardly any water pressure, the lockers are rust buckets, you don’t want to look in the corners too closely, the tiles are coming off and everything needs paint. Yesterday I got set for a sauna and, of course, it’s out of service. When the amateurish staff actually knows a piece of information I request, or otherwise manages to help me, I thank them and they respond with the massively-irritating, “no problem,” which causes me to put my hands in my pockets to keep from strangling them and forcing them to their knees until they reply with, “You’re welcome.” In my recurring etiquette lesson fantasy, I would then smile, loosen my grip and say, “Namaste.”

On the bright side, membership is only $129/mo and I am enjoying the in person yoga classes in an elegant old room, which is the reason I joined. That’s actually a good price in my neighborhood for unlimited yoga, plus they offer a bunch of other benefits a regular yoga studio doesn’t, like wine, travel, book and other classes I’m interested in, an outdoor pool, pickle ball, a few restaurants and bars and an elegant reading room with a fireplace, with a WSJ subscription. And I’m going to use the reciprocity they have with a club in Savannah when we go there soon for the rest of the winter, assuming someone eventually replies to my email about it. So, my strategy is to enjoy what I can from it, remember the cheap price, and laugh off the rest.

Last edited:
The owner is a neighborhood millionaire but it would be quite helpful to the membership if the next owner is a billionaire.

I chuckled when I read this as I (and most here) are also neighborhood millionaires! I guess "billionaire" is the "new millionaire."

My post from BTD 2022:
Not BTD but still funny for us. DH just ordered two Sony PlayStation game controllers. What for? The Tesla and the Apple TV. He ordered one red and one black to match the Tesla.

We’ve never used game controllers before and have no idea how it will pan out, that’s why it feels like BTD.
OK finally got to try out a wireless game controller in our Tesla. Here DH is playing Beach Buggy Racing and notice that his character is driving our red Model X! :LOL::ROFLMAO:

Works great BTW.

Attachments

• DA22E036-A1CE-44E1-BA30-3600D0D4DE1E.jpeg
    DA22E036-A1CE-44E1-BA30-3600D0D4DE1E.jpeg
    315.2 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
I chuckled when I read this as I (and most here) are also neighborhood millionaires! I guess "billionaire" is the "new millionaire."

OK, me, too, but I don’t want the word getting out. That club owner might raise his prices.

My post from BTD 2022:
OK finally got to try out a wireless game controller in our Tesla. Here DH is playing Beach Buggy Racing and notice that his character is driving our red Model X! :LOL::ROFLMAO:

Works great BTW.

Very nice! I wonder if my old PS2 controllers would work? If so perhaps this reply belongs in the Cheapwads thread...but then - buying a second Tesla is a good blow.

got some large eggs, 1 doz for $1.99 yesterday at local Safeway, not the brand I usually buy because they were >$7!

I ordered a new fleece jacket from an after-Christmas sale at REI, letting go $56 from the personal treasury. It replaces one that I bought in a thrift shop about five years ago where the shoulders have faded from black to a color I can't quite characterize.

Despite the "fridge fiasco" thread, or maybe because of it, I decided to go forward with replacing our 12 year old Samsung refrigerator. It has the well-documented unfixable issues with water and ice building up on the floor under the crispers, which requires manual labor from me once a month or so to remove.

I checked out the selection at Lowes, Best Buy, and Home Depot today. We've been very happy with our LG washer and dryer, plus they have most of the top rated models in Consumer Reports, so I ordered a French-door with only a water dispenser in the door (leaves more room in the fridge and less things to go wrong) and two freezer drawers, to make it easier for DH to reach the important stuff (ice cream!) from his wheelchair. I scheduled the delivery for two weeks out to give me time to work down the contents so that the actual perishables will fit into ice chests, as I have little hope that the garage will be cold given how warm January has been here. Anyway, nice to have that research completed and the order placed.

I haven't counted the dough I've blown, - not nearly as much as others here, but I have made 20 Amazon orders in the first 17 days of 2023.

I've bought 2 refrigerators in the past month. One to upgrade the frig in our snowbird place from 18 cu ft to 25 cu ft. Then because the 18 cu ft Samsung POS in the motorhome, decided to replace it as well with a 21 cu ft. That was tougher as i had to do cabinet modifications to alliw it to fit. But both new ones are Whirlpool, side by side modrls bought from local scratch and dent seller. $2400 spent between both. Sold the house 18 cu ft for $200, and deciding what to do with the Samsung POS. It still works, but the fresh food side won't cool below 40F. Not acceptable, and I'm tired of messing with that POS. Will probably sell it, just letting buyer know the fresh food side is not as cool as supposed to be.

I haven't counted the dough I've blown, - not nearly as much as others here, but I have made 20 Amazon orders in the first 17 days of 2023.

One thing about it Ronstar, you are stimulating the economy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom