Blow that Dough 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
My car leaked all oil when driving back home in the early morning of 12/31. Already costed close to $800. I will know on Monday if the mechanics will find more serious problems. May need to buy a new car.

What kind of car ? and did you stop when you saw the oil light ?

I was driving my car when the oil light came on, so Pulled in right away to a parking lot, and turned it off. Checked the oil and it was down :facepalm: Luckily I always carry a quart in the trunk (habit from old days of driving crap cars). So I put the quart in. and checked and I could read the oil level.
Drove home, and filled it the rest of the way. No damage !

What kind of car ? and did you stop when you saw the oil light ?

I was driving my car when the oil light came on, so Pulled in right away to a parking lot, and turned it off. Checked the oil and it was down :facepalm: Luckily I always carry a quart in the trunk (habit from old days of driving crap cars). So I put the quart in. and checked and I could read the oil level.
Drove home, and filled it the rest of the way. No damage !

It was in the middle of a raining night and I had to drive it home. I added 14 quarts of oil during the driving. It is a 2010 Lexus RX350.

WHELP, DW went and did it, going to stay 8 days at Mystique, Santorini...

We've been wanting to go for last couple years but......

So it's done 700,000 and we'll enjoy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We got married on Santorini at the chapel of St, Irene.

Try the Gallini restaurant
OPA!

I made reservations for camping away from all the fireworks for the 4th of July weekend. $76 woohoo! That's our travel budget for 2023!
:D
It is an annual tradition, we go into the national forests to keep our furry friends happy. We even take extra dogs, an extended pack enjoying the peace and quiet.

That sounds amazing! Where does one pick up extra dogs?

It was in the middle of a raining night and I had to drive it home. I added 14 quarts of oil during the driving. It is a 2010 Lexus RX350.

Fourteen? Yowzah. You got home at least. I'll guess it's new car time. Unless you want to fund major repairs like a new engine. I'll hope it OK for your sake, won't hold my breath.

That sounds amazing! Where does one pick up extra dogs?

The silken windhound is the tall one in the picture and part of our daytime pack, but she is not our doggo. She just goes camping with us whilst her dad stays home and works.
IMG-9399.jpg

That was a couple of years ago and everybody has lost some color. Here they are this week helping my visiting brother relax.
PXL-20221226-211550104.jpg

The jack is deaf now and does not care about fireworks, but the silken is dismayed to say the least.

I totally understand the extra camping dogs as when we had the motor home and 4 Maltese we would take my son’s 2 big dogs too because they loved camping. The Maltese didn’t like it but the big guys loved to swim and hike.

We got married on Santorini at the chapel of St, Irene.

Try the Gallini restaurant
OPA!

Will do !

You all took the fun out out of my BTD entry !!!!!!!!! :cool:

Thought someone would say 700,000 for 8days, what are you in the Greek God suite :confused::confused:

Then my comeback was oh I forgot that's 700K Marriott points :dance:

We BTD every week at the supermarket!:mad:

Don't tell ME inflation is only 10%.

_B

Ski trip to Austria -Jan.
Ski trip to Switzerland -Feb.
Trip to UK for 80s disco party-Feb.
Ski trip to Sweden-Mar.

Trip to Uzbekistan-Apr.
Trip to hike part of Santiago de Compostela-May.
Trip to Jordan with 99s-Oct-Nov.
Donation to museum-Jan.
Donation to engineering organization for scholarships-Jan.
Trip to NL to visit friend-May-June.
Possible trip to Amsterdam or Basel to meet parents after/before their cruise.
Provence-trip was cancelled due to COVID-was a DIY-probably do in Sep.

And, will be for sure this year (earliest Oct, latest Dec) ending being an employee of any kind. Will still consult on interesting jobs, but that will be enjoyable and very small part-time. First quit notice is to university from adjunct position this month.

Happy New Year to all!!! And best wishes for a great 2023.

These are 4 separate trips or part of one long trip?

Going back home in-between each of these trips?

I try to space the intercontinental trips by at least a month.

I live in Germany right now and will be traveling from there for all if those trips. Plan on moving back to USA end of year....

I live in Germany right now and will be traveling from there for all if those trips. Plan on moving back to USA end of year....

OK that makes more sense then.

Maybe you should mix in some skiing in CO or Whistler./

Actually lift tickets in the Alps don't seem as high as they are in the US especially if you get a pass for several days or a week.

Maybe Switzerland is different though, higher than in Austria, France or Italy.

Will do !

You all took the fun out out of my BTD entry !!!!!!!!! :cool:

Thought someone would say 700,000 for 8days, what are you in the Greek God suite :confused::confused:

Then my comeback was oh I forgot that's 700K Marriott points :dance:

I am sorry, I did not mean to take any of your fun. To clarify, we stopped in Santorini on a Med cruise. I had made arrangements months earlier, and it was just the two of us-no big wedding.
After the ceremony, we had a car and driver take us on a tour of the island.

Attachments

• wedding1.jpeg
    wedding1.jpeg
    154.1 KB · Views: 115
We celebrate our 40th wedding anniversary this year. We have not yet decided on the specifics, but it definitely will be a BTD situation :).

Blowing less dough in 2023 than 2022, due to less allowable spending. At least for now, will be limited to some type of new car, and a bit more than 2 months diving, orangutan trekking, and eating in Indonesia, Singapore, and Malaysia (with lie flat seating to and from). Probably will add another two months in New Zealand later in the year, depending upon how much the new car costs....

I am sorry, I did not mean to take any of your fun. To clarify, we stopped in Santorini on a Med cruise. I had made arrangements months earlier, and it was just the two of us-no big wedding.
After the ceremony, we had a car and driver take us on a tour of the island.

cant wait to see all this !!!

Travel to London, Rome, Zurich and Munich in June.

New solar installation at home. Although it count as an investment (IRR 10 year @ ~10%) , it still feels like blowing the $$

<mod note> Multiple posts discussing Covid were removed. Members are reminded that the Covid forum is still the preferred location for all Covid related discussions.

Booked a couple Airbnb’s. One in Scottsdale for a week late winter and one for Ft. Collins Co 10 days in the summer.

We booked a week-long RV trip on Outdoorsy for the last week in March. I was able to find a model that we're considering buying, so this will be a great opportunity to live with it for a week to see if we like it.

Edit: I wrote RV, but it's actually a class-B van.

Where are you planning to camp??

Outdoorsy was the gateway "drug" for us. Wanted to try RV'ing for decades, but it seemed it would never make sense financially. After FIRE and moving to SE AZ, we started renting class C rigs from Outdoorsy. We had a blast! We rented 3 rigs over a year, eventually a 30 ft class A mini "bus".

We ended up buying a 35 ft diesel pusher later in 2021 and logged 100 camping nights and 12000 miles. The rig is great in camp and on the open roads but can be a pain in town. Got to plan stops ahead of time since it's so big. Honestly, this is no longer camping, but really a mobile condo that we take to the beach and the mountains. A class B or even little C would be more practical, but it would be too close to real camping to sell to DW!

Bought a 2 year old Tesla Model 3 to have as a second car in the family. If I wanted a new one there is a waiting list. The low mileage car made me blow $40.000 and was available now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom