Blow that Dough 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im half scottish and get it. My grandfathers (maternal side) family immigrated when he was 12. Glascow.

Frugality is in our dna.

My Scottish heritage goes back a bit farther. Not sure what percentage I am. Now, I'm happy to just be called pake - pronounced pah-kay. Our neighbor was so proud of his frugality that his license plate said pake. I wanted to ask him how much his vanity plate cost him, but I let it go as he was an elder.:angel:

Like some other Hawaiian words, pake started life as something approaching a slur, but Hawaiians have a way over time of softening and rounding the edges of words (like a stone in the surf.) Now it means some level of frugality. Spoken harshly - it means cheap! Spoken in normal tone, it has the connotation of very frugal - or "more frugal than I am.":cool:

Do you sleep East-West or North-South? I'm 6'3" so can't sleep East-West in a Promaster.

We are just 5'9" and 5'5" tall, but we sleep north-south with our heads to the rear. The Promaster is wider than the Transit or Sprinter so those won't help you much. There are some tricks that can make a 6'3" bed for east-west sleeping in a Promaster if you're doing a custom build.

Some pictures of our layout are in a thread I started in December 2021 after we completed the build-out:

https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f29/anybody-campervan-part-2-a-112061.html

In July we're heading out to Seattle, then up the coast by ferry to Skagway, then into Yukon and back down the AlCan. Should be 7-8 weeks and this is one of our "bucket list" trips we've talked about for a long time. In December we're heading to AZ / NM / TX for a few months to get away from MN winters.

Since we spend a lot of nights in the van and we are in our 60's we wanted comfortable, accessible beds with easy access to the "facilities" in the middle of the night.

PM me if you want to know anything more. I can talk about vans all day (at least that's what DW says!)

Campervans are so much fun!

BrianB

DH at work and a little snack with Cava.

This has become an annual tradition. It only takes DH about 3 days to completely carve one up. We vacuum pack and freeze most of it - a year’s supply of Jamón Ibérico de Bellota.

Attachments

• IMG_2925.jpeg
    IMG_2925.jpeg
    343.5 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_2926.jpeg
    IMG_2926.jpeg
    406.4 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
Just booked a suite on a new Celebrity ship for a Mediterranean cruise next year to celebrate our 25th anniversary. Italy, Greece, Croatia and Montenegro. Looking forward to it!

Went to Costco yesterday, always a BTD Visit. [emoji33]

We usually go in with maybe four items on our shopping list, and come away with 30. It’s especially easy to get carried away in the wine section.

Last edited:
Been lurking a bit on the site and apologies for not contributing more over the course of the last year... Starting up a new business with my sister. Should cost a few bucks to get everything in place so that's the big spend in 2023. Was done last Summer but one can only play so much golf, fix stuff around the house, lend a hand to family and friends, etc. Too much free time can be problem, especially going from working six days a week for twenty plus years to zero!

Just booked a suite on a new Celebrity ship for a Mediterranean cruise next year to celebrate our 25th anniversary. Italy, Greece, Croatia and Montenegro. Looking forward to it!

Fun! Make sure you come back to tell us abut it, please.
DH and I have thought of going on one.

Been lurking a bit on the site and apologies for not contributing more over the course of the last year... Starting up a new business with my sister. Should cost a few bucks to get everything in place so that's the big spend in 2023. Was done last Summer but one can only play so much golf, fix stuff around the house, lend a hand to family and friends, etc. Too much free time can be problem, especially going from working six days a week for twenty plus years to zero!

Family business for 75 years. Depending upon how much you invest, you can find it easier to get in than to get out (other than just shutting down and losing your investment.) Just a thought as YMMV.

Family business for 75 years. Depending upon how much you invest, you can find it easier to get in than to get out (other than just shutting down and losing your investment.) Just a thought as YMMV.
100% Correct!

Bought a 3d printer a few days ago that is consuming me, and I have printed anything yet.

Which one?

I have been 3d printing for over 10 years. I make all sorts of useful things. I am not into printing figures and such. If there is a need around the house, I print it rather than buy, if at all possible.

Which one?

I have been 3d printing for over 10 years. I make all sorts of useful things. I am not into printing figures and such. If there is a need around the house, I print it rather than buy, if at all possible.

I got an Ender 3 v2 to get myself started. I'm not going to print figures either. Starting off with little storage bins/ organization gizmos and some woodworking aids.

I may upgrade printers at some point, but I may not need to if I'm only making simple parts and such.

What printer do you have?

I got an Ender 3 v2 to get myself started. I'm not going to print figures either. Starting off with little storage bins/ organization gizmos and some woodworking aids.

I may upgrade printers at some point, but I may not need to if I'm only making simple parts and such.

What printer do you have?

I will try to fit it all in here so as not to disrupt the thread (too much), I can answer questions via Message if you like or start a new thread.

I have a hybrid version of the FlashForge Creator Pro. A heated bed is mandatory for ABS printing as PLA is really not up to it for practical parts. I print all sorts of Garage stuff and clips and fasteners and the list goes on. I use Sketchup pro for design as it is easy. I used to use AutoCAD but it was way overkill.

Hi SueJ,

Deck looks really nice! We did a similar project right before FIRE. Used existing piers and joists. I think the color is Tiki something. Railing and spindles similar to yours which was a nice upgrade from the wood.

We have been happy with it. Only comment is Trex deck is more like a piece of furniture.

Is the awning also new and do you like it?

I guess we did BTD but was pre-retire. Not sure that counts.

Thanks!

The awning was installed in 2017. But it is our 2nd Sunsetter awning. Our 1st one was a manual model, same size, same color. We got that one in 1991. It held up really well but the old style manual models involved pulling the awning out and down from the wall, sliding some rafter arms and then lifting each side of the awning until the legs could be mounted on the deck. In 1991 we were 36 years old and could handle it just fine. As we got older the old awning got much heavier!

This new motorized one operates differently and has a remote control. It's so much easier.

What do you mean about the Trex deck is more like a piece of furniture?

The exit strategy should be in writing at the beginning when everyone is still all smiles. If you wait until later, problems arise.
When I started my business we had a well described exit plan. It held up for 24 years until I sold. It worked and no one complained.
We valued shares every year and had an agreement as to who could buy them. When I sold it was very orderly with even a party at the end.

Bought a handcrafted mosaic patio table during our recent trip to Jordan. Arrived yesterday. Expensive but I love it.

table2.jpg

Bought a handcrafted mosaic patio table during our recent trip to Jordan. Arrived yesterday. Expensive but I love it.

View attachment 46042

I'm pretty sure we went to that exact shop last fall. It is beautiful. Sadly, no place for it in our house.

We replaced the 40 year old 4 meter socket entrance panel and 4 feeds to each apartment and replaced 2 100 amp Federal Pacific breaker boxes. Bid was awarded in 10/21, but we could not find a 4 meter panel because of supply chain issues. Went with a 6 socket and dummied 2. Original quote was $5300.

The entrance panel was damaged by the electric company when they pulled the meters and then replaced with Smart meters years ago. The FP breaker boxes were cutting edge at the time (1972) but the company went out of business due to their faulty design. I had a hard time trying to replace a breaker back in 2021, hence the need to replace.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom