Blow that Dough 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
Paid for two first class tickets Vancouver to Rome return for a month in southern Italy in September.

Paid for two first class tickets VaIcouver to Rome return for a month in southern Italy in September.

I like it! I've still never pulled the trigger on 1st class. Good news, I'll never willingly go back to coach (minus.)

Enjoy (Would love to see some pictures!)

I bought premium economy seats on a trip to France earlier this month and got upgraded both ways.

So I spent about half of what business class would cost, kind of the opposite of BTD. But I had United Plus Points which expire at end of January so I played the upgrade game.

Bought premium economy tix to London in September too, again going for upgrades.

So I figured I’d spend on Wi-Fi but they wanted $27 or more each way. I just watched some show I downloaded to my iPad instead and got some sleep.

I flew Brisbane to SFO in biz last November and for some reason only charged $8 for Wi-Fi on that flight. I think my red line is $25.

It’s the principle!:LOL:

Thanks, I'm in and living out of a few boxes. My dog is confused and I am having trouble sleeping.:confused:

I have a meeting is with the builder Tuesday to look things over and discuss the remaining schedule to completion. The house is framed and the roof and windows are in. It looks like it's time for the city inspection of wiring and plumbing before they sheetrock the interior.

If you are at the house, before the sheetrock goes up. Take a bunch of photos or video of all the walls, ceilings as you walk around.

Then you will have a good idea where the pipes and wires are when they are all covered. In case you later decide to open anything up, or notice an issue.

If you are at the house, before the sheetrock goes up. Take a bunch of photos or video of all the walls, ceilings as you walk around.

Then you will have a good idea where the pipes and wires are when they are all covered. In case you later decide to open anything up, or notice an issue.

I recommend this to everyone I know that's building a house. You can also take it a step further and add some measurements to the pics.

Also, if it hasn't been done, add extra support between the studs for grab bars, towel bars, wall mounted TVs, railings, etc.

Yes, please do this. It makes a world of difference down the road when you're going to remodeling or just wanting to know where the pipes are for some future project. We did this in our last home as it was being built. We lived in it for close to 30 years and referred back to the pics often. When we sold the house, we gave all the build photos to the new owners.

DW and I both visited the dentist yesterday. $3114.72.
My least favorite way to BTD. :(

Triple witching "hour". This summer we have to renovate the pool, drill a new well and repave a 200 foot driveway. Probably going to see a 35-40% spike in our burn rate this year.

I was just a bit lower than that, and that included both DW and I getting new gold crowns. They also offer a significant discount for paying by check/cash rather than CC. I couldn't turn that down, even though I get cash back from the CC. (heh, heh, I want to keep my dentist happy - imagine an unhappy dentist with a drill turning several thousand rpm.:LOL:)

Owwwwwww, I'm sorry!

Hopefully all is now well in finniski1 world now. :flowers:

I decided to BTD this morning on an upgrade to business class for my September flight from Philadelphia to Zurich. I spent roughly $1500 for the original Premium Economy seats on American Airlines several months ago. AA then gives you the opportunity to pay more for individual segments after the initial purchase. That price goes up and down based on whatever algorithm they use. The Philly-Zurich segment eventually dropped below $2000, so I grabbed it. So $3500 total airfare. This compares to the $4800 they wanted for full business class when I initially purchased the ticket. I can easily tolerate Premium Economy on the return from Zurich since that's not an overnight flight. But at least now, maybe I can catch a little shuteye at the start of the trip so I can hit the ground running upon landing in Zurich.

Last edited:
I like it! I've still never pulled the trigger on 1st class. Good news, I'll never willingly go back to coach (minus.)

Enjoy (Would love to see some pictures!)
I should mention that we had dropped into our travel agent and she said best she expected was $8000+ PP and then called next day with a one day sale for BA for $3600 PP. So blowing that dough with an eye on prices!

Apparently these one day sales show up regularly. We just got lucky that it was Rome! She saw Paris and Dublin in the next few days.

Paid for new plank flooring and cabinets today per CC. I believe all material will be here next week. I then can get started on the makeover.

I should mention that we had dropped into our travel agent and she said best she expected was $8000+ PP and then called next day with a one day sale for BA for $3600 PP. So blowing that dough with an eye on prices!

Apparently these one day sales show up regularly. We just got lucky that it was Rome! She saw Paris and Dublin in the next few days.

What a great travel agent! So glad it w*rked out for you.

Got a large new framed canvas print for my living room. The one I have hanging there is quite old, from my much younger frugal days. I built the frame myself even.

I've been looking for a nice abstract sort of landscape in muted tones, big enough, but not wanting to spend $700+ like everything I liked seemed to be. Yes, I'd scavenged every Homegoods in a tri-county area. And yes I've been looking for over a year to go "THAT ONE" to no avail. Then I saw one recently I really liked on Pottery Barn.... $699..oi

So I googled the artist and picture name. I found them in multiple other places, including one that does canvas prints of their entire collection, and found one I liked even better and DH agreed when I showed him side by side and asked him to pick. Then there was (of course) a big discount for father's day, and a sign up discount, so I got 35% off. They had free shipping and returns so my risk was minimal. I ended up going a little bigger than the one I'm replacing, but still came in at about half the PB price.

It arrived today, and looks just as shown, ready to hang - that's the project for tomorrow.

Paid off the balance for my snowbird place in FL. Actually a HELOC on permanent home that was the money to buy the snowbird place, but it suits the logical aspect of now having both places paid off. The interest rates on the HELOC have been going up since it is variable, and with (mostly) recovery in the markets it was good time to pull the money out to pay off the balance.

My mom has a young driver that needs minor surgery/ hernia. He is about the same age of my son and since he has no means to pay for it. I am going to pay for it and used some of the savings that I got from using an insurance broker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom