Blow that Dough 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not trying to brag (although I did), just suggesting y'all might want to consider doing items on your bucket list while you are capable of doing them, not waiting too long.

I'm a good steep hiker, so I wound up waiting in the shade for the younger folks on the big uphill climbs. But that might not be true in 3 or 4 years; in fact I might not be able to do them at all.

I’m very glad it took the stairs up to the top of the dome of St. Peter’s in the Vatican in my 50’s. And did the stairs up to the top of Gotto’s Tower in my 60’s. When I did I turned to my companion and noted that we were the only two white haired guys at the top level. I confess, there were some lower levels where we took breaks and enjoyed the view out over Florence. I also walked the Cinque Terre trails (bad, washed out and narrow as they were) a few years back.

Carpe Diem!

There is the Chicago Aquarium. I had always wanted to visit because they have Beluga whales. Fortunately I got to see them in the wild.

Well, I knew this day would come.

I started out taking my granddaughter to Chicago (hour-long flight from Des Moines where they live) for an overnight when she was 4. We stayed at the Hilton O'Hare and she LOVED the runway view. When her sister was old enough (and we were past COVID) she came with us- so, one extra airfare, higher food expenses. Well, the girls are 9 and 6 now and Little Brother, aged 4, FINALLY decided to get out of diapers/Pull-ups so we're all booked for April of next year. I decided to get 2 adjoining rooms and then realized that with 2 rooms we could have DDIL accompany us. (My son will be studying for actuarial exams so would use the weekend to study.)

DDIL was thrilled at the suggestion. (Yes, I told her I'd pay her airfare.) That's booked, plus two adjoining rooms at the Hilton at a rate that includes breakfast (food prices there are a ripoff so I think we'll be ahead of the game). Hotel reservation for 2 nights is $1,700 all-in.:facepalm: The hotel has little going for it other than Location, Location, Location, but I can't deprive Little Brother of at least one stay with a runway view. After that I may put my Grandma foot down and insist we stay by the Navy Pier, since they love the Children's Museum.

Well, when I leave this world I want them to have a treasure trove of Grandma Athena stories. And I love my DDIL. We should have a great time.:D

Time spent with grandkids is so well worth whatever $ is spent!

My childhood friend still talks about the camping trip my Grandparents took she and I on when we were about 10. Memories last a lifetime.

I so enjoy my time with my grandsons, no matter what we do.

Have a wonderful trip!

There is the Chicago Aquarium. I had always wanted to visit because they have Beluga whales. Fortunately I got to see them in the wild.

Depending upon the time, there is also the Museum of Science and Industry, the Museum of Natural History and the Planetarium.

As far as "down town," I haven't actually been for several years. 20 years ago, we took the kids window shopping downtown but not sure that's still a good idea so YMMV.

Last edited:
Back from the Tour de Mont Blanc ...

Congrats!!! I'm envious. Did you do the full loop? I am interested in doing at least a section of it. I was thinking of staying in towns and using a luggage transfer service, rather than go the refuges route - although the refuges look pretty cool too. Do you recommend one over the other?

Depending upon the time, there is also the Museum of Science and Industry, the Museum of Natural History and the Planetarium.
OMG, these are treasures!!! IMO anyway.

My parents took my brothers and me to Chicago for a few days in 1955 specifically to see the Museum of Science and Industry, and the Museum of Natural History.

I still remember both museums, clear as day, even the individual exhibits and which ones were my favorites. The Museum of Science and Industry was especially incredible. I loved the chemistry experiments you could do yourself, by pushing a button and then watching the experiment being done inside a glass enclosure. The first day ended with me sitting by myself next to Foucault's pendulum in the Museum of Science and Industry, for an hour or more. My parents thought I was lost but no, when they found me I was sitting there on the floor blown away (so to speak) by the implications, in wonder and astonishment that I could really see hard evidence of the earth's rotation. I didn't believe it would work until I saw it, and there it was in plain sight.

Quite an experience for any 7-8 year old kid. Huge impact on my life and steered me towards the general area of interest that was to determine my future career.

OMG, these are treasures!!! IMO anyway.

My parents took my brothers and me to Chicago for a few days in 1955 specifically to see the Museum of Science and Industry, and the Museum of Natural History.

I still remember both museums, clear as day, even the individual exhibits and which ones were my favorites. The Museum of Science and Industry was especially incredible. I loved the chemistry experiments you could do yourself, by pushing a button and then watching the experiment being done inside a glass enclosure. The first day ended with me sitting by myself next to Foucault's pendulum in the Museum of Science and Industry, for an hour or more. My parents thought I was lost but no, when they found me I was sitting there on the floor blown away (so to speak) by the implications, in wonder and astonishment that I could really see hard evidence of the earth's rotation. I didn't believe it would work until I saw it, and there it was in plain sight.

Quite an experience for any 7-8 year old kid. Huge impact on my life and steered me towards the general area of interest that was to determine my future career.

I was about 13 (7th grade) when I first went to the Museum of Science and Industry. I too was fascinated by Foucault's pendulum. I recall a thought experiment I had at the time in which the pendulum was suspended over the North pole (could have been the South pole) and, in my mind, I could visualize the Earth rotating under the pendulum. That helped me understand why the pendulum seemed to move over time. Of course, I had no understanding of the trigonometric calculations needed at Chicago's latitude to explain the path of the pendulum.

My big question? Who gets the thing going and how often does someone have to "grab" it and start it up again. Just the fact that it could be unattended for so long was quite a revelation to me. Another thought experiment was to think about the forces that would ultimately make the pendulum "stop." Air resistance would be minimal vs such a heavy weight and any mechanical strain in the cable would also be minimal. In any case, I think it was then that I decided I wanted to spend my life in the sciences.

I wasn't sure which one. Biology also seemed pretty "cool." I still recall the human bodies "sectioned" (heh, heh, frozen and cut with a band saw?:yuk:) Gross but utterly fascinating.

I eventually chose chemistry, but loved the biological sciences and got involved therein in a tangential way. Very good memories (I won my trip to the museum by correctly identifying 4 objects in a sealed cigar box. - 7th grade science project.)

Reactions: W2R
Fast note: the girls are in the pool and I'm about to join them. We've been to the Field Museum and the Aquarium on previous trips but their favorite is the Children's Museum. They love the public transport, especially the subway, but also enjoy the occasional Uber rides if we get a talkative driver. Oh, and they love the pigeons. Go figure. They claim there are none at home in Des Moines. Wonderful to see things through kids' eyes.

Their other grandmother (grandfather died 1/2022) takes them camping, to state fairs, on road trips with DS and DDIL to Colorado, the Badlands, etc. Totally different experiences so that's even better.

An interview with the author of "Die with Zero" (haven't read it yet) solidified my thinking- I can leave them $X when I leave this earth or I can leave them with 95% of x and wonderful memories. I choose the latter!

Fast note: the girls are in the pool and I'm about to join them. We've been to the Field Museum and the Aquarium on previous trips but their favorite is the Children's Museum. They love the public transport, especially the subway, but also enjoy the occasional Uber rides if we get a talkative driver. Oh, and they love the pigeons. Go figure. They claim there are none at home in Des Moines. Wonderful to see things through kids' eyes.

Their other grandmother (grandfather died 1/2022) takes them camping, to state fairs, on road trips with DS and DDIL to Colorado, the Badlands, etc. Totally different experiences so that's even better.

An interview with the author of "Die with Zero" (haven't read it yet) solidified my thinking- I can leave them $X when I leave this earth or I can leave them with 95% of x and wonderful memories. I choose the latter!

For sure! As long as you are able to do this memories are the best for children!

The first day ended with me sitting by myself next to Foucault's pendulum in the Museum of Science and Industry, for an hour or more. My parents thought I was lost but no, when they found me I was sitting there on the floor blown away (so to speak) by the implications, in wonder and astonishment that I could really see hard evidence of the earth's rotation. I didn't believe it would work until I saw it, and there it was in plain sight.

I too was fascinated by Foucault's pendulum. I recall a thought experiment I had at the time in which the pendulum was suspended over the North pole (could have been the South pole) and, in my mind, I could visualize the Earth rotating under the pendulum. That helped me understand why the pendulum seemed to move over time. Of course, I had no understanding of the trigonometric calculations needed at Chicago's latitude to explain the path of the pendulum.

My big question? Who gets the thing going and how often does someone have to "grab" it and start it up again. Just the fact that it could be unattended for so long was quite a revelation to me. Another thought experiment was to think about the forces that would ultimately make the pendulum "stop." Air resistance would be minimal vs such a heavy weight and any mechanical strain in the cable would also be minimal. In any case, I think it was then that I decided I wanted to spend my life in the sciences.

They had one of these at the Smithsonian Museum that I was also fascinated with as a kid. However, my main thought was "If I touch it and knock it out of whack, will I be able to get away without getting caught?" I decided I couldn't (too crowded), so I didn't. But it was soooo tempting.

$5000 to our local vets. One dog had surgery to remove a lump in his chest. Thankfully not cancerous and he is well on his way to [emoji12]
Our other dog had routine surgery to do a dental cleaning and remove some teeth and then remove some moles that could get irritated and then they’d bleed. Very routine and he was recovering nicely. But, two weeks after surgery, he stopped eating. I’m trying to figure it out two growths we’re discovered: one in her nasal cavity and one in her throat. So we ended up having to make the difficult decision to euthanize her.
There is a local vet who only does in home euthanasia. So grateful for this service….after so many vet visits over the last three weeks, we could keep her at home. She was able to be cuddled up in her bed and the whole family could be there.
I’m grateful we were able to make decisions based on what was best for our pets and not on what we could afford.

Well, I think I did something to finally qualify for this thread. Yesterday, I went out and bought this...

Attachments

• IMG_4353.jpg
    IMG_4353.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 90
$5000 to our local vets. One dog had surgery to remove a lump in his chest. Thankfully not cancerous and he is well on his way to [emoji12]
Our other dog had routine surgery to do a dental cleaning and remove some teeth and then remove some moles that could get irritated and then they’d bleed. Very routine and he was recovering nicely. But, two weeks after surgery, he stopped eating. I’m trying to figure it out two growths we’re discovered: one in her nasal cavity and one in her throat. So we ended up having to make the difficult decision to euthanize her.
There is a local vet who only does in home euthanasia. So grateful for this service….after so many vet visits over the last three weeks, we could keep her at home. She was able to be cuddled up in her bed and the whole family could be there.
I’m grateful we were able to make decisions based on what was best for our pets and not on what we could afford.

Sorry for the loss of your dog.

Andre--nice car!
DH is looking over my shoulder drooling! Camero?

Just put down payment on the visa for our family trip to Hawaii next summer, 7 of us in all, with kids and grands.

Thanks everyone. It's a 2023 Dodge Charger R/T. It has the 5.7/345 CID Hemi, but it's just the somewhat mild 370 hp version. It replaced my deteriorating 2003 Buick Regal, which was getting to the point that it would have Blown My Dough, if I'd kept it much longer. The transmission was starting to go, and even though it's a relatively simple 4-speed automatic, my mechanic warned me the the prices of EVERYTHING have gone up, so a replacement would be a lot more than whatever outdated figure I had in my mind. The plastic intake manifold was also starting to go bad, and it needed exhaust/emissions work, and had other issues. So, out with the old, and in with the new!

The pic at the bottom is the Charger with its "cousin", the last new vehicle I bought. That one's a 2012 Dodge Ram, also with the 345 Hemi. Admittedly this purchase was a bit of a sticker shock. Out the door, with tax, tags, an extended warranty/protection plan that I probably don't need, and the $500 they gave me for that Regal time bomb, the total came out to just over $54,000. In contrast, the Ram was only $20,750, out the door. At first I was going to pass on the extended warranty/protection thing, but the finance guy mentioned that even if something simple like the touch screen goes, that's like $3,000 right there. And those big, rims and low profile tires seem like they're just begging to hit a curb or pothole!

My uncle blurted out jokingly "well I guess you can forget about retiring early!" but realistically, I don't think it's going to change my retirement plans. I put $10K down, financed the rest, but planning to pay it off after 3-4 months. If I had known how bad interest rates really were, I would have paid cash for the whole thing. The money I'm planning to use is currently earning around 5.1% in an MMA, but the interest rate is around 8.1%! But, thinking a bit deeper, since I have to pay tax on the interest that MMA earns, I'm guessing they would have had to get the rate down to around 3.7-3.8% just for me to really break even, and I don't think that's realistic.

Attachments

• IMG_4340.jpg
    IMG_4340.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 58
  • IMG_4351.jpg
    IMG_4351.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 55
  • IMG_4357.jpg
    IMG_4357.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 52
PandaBear: I am so sorry hearing about your dog. Hugs.

Andre: Nice looking car. Enjoy your rides.

PandaBear, sorry for the loss of your dog. Making the decision is never easy. I can still remember having to put my 13 year old golden retriever to sleep, back in 2008, and even to this day, if I think too much about it, I'll get a bit emotional. It was the first time I ever had to actually make that decision myself, as in the past we'd have pets die of old age, get hit by a car, or when I was younger, my parents or grandparents would make the decision.

Big hug.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom