Blow that Dough 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
We just took our first cruise on Azamara. It is a small boutique cruise ship that focuses on country intensive itineraries. We did the Italy Intensive cruise. Upon boarding, we purchased an upgraded cabin. We then booked a Scotland intensive cruise for next year.

I wouldn’t have paid for either of these without the BTD encouragement. It’s so hard to go from being a lifelong saver to a spender.

Just signed a contract to have the siding, soffits, trim and gutters replaced on our 1940 Jersey Shore home. $59,000 with a 50 year warranty we’ll never see the end of. The new siding will be insulated, which is nice for an old home.
That will be nice, like wrapping the whole home in a sweater.
@PandaBear that's a great trip. Iceland is on our list.

In the next six months, Canary Islands for November

Nice! Mee too!

Looking for ideas for Santa Cruz De Tenerife. Just a few days worth. Suggestions? Also will it be shorts (70s°F) or jeans weather?

I usually go to the south of Gran Canaria in the winter since it has really nice and warm but not hot climate all year round.

In Tenerife it might cross over into jeans weather in the winter.

Well, our freezer crapped itself last night. DW went and bought the only big freezer they had in stock at Lowe's. About $800, DW used some gift cards for part of the purchase, and got a $100 off for opening a Lowe's American Express card, and charged the rest. Because we have/had a long record of buying materials there for our rentals ( we just sold them), they gave us the Lowe's Pro Card, which allows for cheaper deliveries, and some $10 discounts on certain purchases over the next year.

Just had all new kitchen appliances dropped off. Our oven is burning out at the bottom, and our fridge is held together with duct tape, so I guess it was time. But we’re also doing new flooring, new counters, new cabinets, new lighting. I’ve never fully done over the kitchen before so this is my first and last.

Just booked a 2 week Antarctica Cruise in February. Haven’t been on a cruise since a couple of years before the pandemic. Long overdue!

But the excursions are so expensive! More than 2x what the daily cruise rate is pp. That seems nuts!

Sometimes it’s cheaper to book the all inclusive cruises. I have my eye on Celebrity’s Galapagos tours. I have a friend who went and absolutely loved it. They sell out very quickly, so 2025 would be the earliest probably.

We used Quasar Expeditions for our one week cruise in the Galapagos. It was a fantastic trip. There were about 26 guests on board.

Just booked a 12 day cruise from Baltimore to USVI, BVI, etc. for December. It will get us out of the cold and fill the space between Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Last week I lost the crown off a tooth- dentist had seen it recently and thought it was loose. My amateur opinion based on how little is left is that they won't be able to put on a new crown- so I think I'm in line for an implant. My 8th.:facepalm: Dentist had already observed that there's an opposing tooth on the bottom so leaving it without a tooth up top would have bad results.

I can't complain about my overall health for my age (70) but I have a darned expensive mouth.

And, in other news, I've decided it's time to replace the grubby shower enclosure and bathtub in my 30-year old house. I've been doing an upgrade every year as the budget allows- replacing windows, quartz kitchen countertops, plantation shutters. But I do love this house and hope I can stay in it for many years.

Last week I lost the crown off a tooth- dentist had seen it recently and thought it was loose. My amateur opinion based on how little is left is that they won't be able to put on a new crown- so I think I'm in line for an implant. My 8th.:facepalm: Dentist had already observed that there's an opposing tooth on the bottom so leaving it without a tooth up top would have bad results.

I can't complain about my overall health for my age (70) but I have a darned expensive mouth.

And, in other news, I've decided it's time to replace the grubby shower enclosure and bathtub in my 30-year old house. I've been doing an upgrade every year as the budget allows- replacing windows, quartz kitchen countertops, plantation shutters. But I do love this house and hope I can stay in it for many years.

Yeah, dental work....there is a new Tesla Model Y in my mouth ( spent over the last few years).

What size battery? How many miles do you get on a charge?:cool:

My dentist's wife drives the "Y" and he drives a supercharged Jaguar (really!). :LOL:

And I get free dental floss, a very small tube of toothpaste and a cheap toothbrush after my cleaning visits.

Ack. I thought the bathroom redo would be about $15K. It's double that, even after I backed down from my HGTV-inspired wet room vision. I trust this firm- they enclosed a deck in my last house and turned a screened-in back porch into a 3-season room in this house 7 years ago. Their work withstands the test of time. I don't want to hire it out to any old handyman and I don't want to use those nasty pre-fab plastic enclosures. The work has to be done; the shower and tub are almost 30 years old and some of the grouting is moldy despite scrubbing it. I can see a potential buyer taking $30K off their offer for that (although, of course, I have no illusion it will add that much to the sale value).

Well, Dad left me over $200K when he died in 2021. I'd planned on giving it away over 10 years, most to the kids' 529s, some for a family trip to Charleston next year and the rest to charity. I don't think Dad would object to my taking $15K out of the inheritance for home improvement.

tile walls above the bathtub?

then just have the tile removed & replaced with solid panels.

Not my BTD. My niece's husband is a corporate pilot. He's test driving a new Gulfstream today. If he likes it, his boss will put down a $10m down payment on the $73m jet to be delivered in 3 years.

Way, way beyond the $1,000 I just spent on materials to build a workbench.

tile walls above the bathtub?

then just have the tile removed & replaced with solid panels.

Yes, I'm doing solid panels. It's the floor tile that will have the bare strip. I can live with it- or, as I noted, insert pieces of the extra tile till I get it all replaced.

A couple of mentions of the Galapagos here. BTDT.

There is a limited number of boats permitted by the Ecuadorian government. Most are small/like 16 passengers plus staff including a guide/host. Island landings, walking paths, etc. are designed for these small groups. There are a few larger boats, but because of size I have to think that some islands are off-limits. But, regardless, walking narrow paths with a crowd IMO is not fun. There are also hotel options, but the islands are far enough apart that many are inaccessible from the hotel program just due to distance.

Because of the limits, all travel arrangers are selling he same small boats and collecting a markup. I did some detective work and found the owners' web sites for many of the boats. This is where the best prices can be found and last-minute deals can be negotiated. We ended up saving about 40% vs the prices we first got. Comparisons are tricky, with air fare from Guayaquil sometimes omitted and park fees sometimes omitted. Both must be paid, though. Just be aware.

My boat-owner spreadsheet is at least 5 years old and probably intuitive only to me, but if you'd like a copy just PM.

Just sold my DJI Mini 3 Pro. PLEASE convince me NOT to buy the New Mini 4 Pro.

Sorry. I think you should have bought the Mini 4 Pro before you off loaded the 3. :D

Just sold my DJI Mini 3 Pro. PLEASE convince me NOT to buy the New Mini 4 Pro.

Sorry. I think you should have bought the Mini 4 Pro before you off loaded the 3. :D

He should have, but no need for concern with 2 day shipping from Amazon.
But, he should get right on it!

Speaking of drones, a local guy has posted a few videos from his drone as the sun sets over the Gulf.
I suggested he program the drone to ascend at the same rate as the sun sets. Then try to catch the green blip--over an extended time period.
I don't know if it is possible, but it would be cool!

https://www.google.com/search?clien...dkPBa0Q0pQJegQIDBAB&biw=1856&bih=828&dpr=1.03

Attachments

• Green Flash from Setting Sun.jpg
    Green Flash from Setting Sun.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 4

Not a good answer, :facepalm: you are supposed to be convincing me not to get another one.

It had sat in its case for over 3 weeks, after I took arial photos of the house to put on Zillow.

My dentist's wife drives the "Y" and he drives a supercharged Jaguar (really!). :LOL:

And I get free dental floss, a very small tube of toothpaste and a cheap toothbrush after my cleaning visits.

My husband has had a similar amount of work done.

Once, while visiting a hygienist in Texas, she pointed out to me that DH has the price of a very nice new car in his mouth.

“What did you get?” she asked me.

“A husband with great teeth,” I replied.

Enjoy every one of those teeth, Aja! You earned them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom