Boosting Immunity

Anyone read of a recommended dose for Selenium for this sort of purpose?

The LEF list has changed a bit from the one they had during SARS.

I'd like to know exactly what parts of the immune function chain of events are "boosted" by each suggested supplement. Even the below is vague:

>
1-3, 1-6 Beta Glucans: Research has shown that these compounds up-regulate the function of the innate immune system. This part of your immune system is the first line of defense against viruses and bacteria. It helps your white blood cells bind to and kill viruses and bacteria.

Note: Patients with autoimmune diseases should not take this.

Anyone read of a recommended dose for Selenium for this sort of purpose?

The RDA for selenium is 55 mcg. You can supposedly take up to 200 mcg daily in supplement form without any adverse effects. I usually try to get my selenium through food, however. Three or four brazil nuts is enough. Other foods high in selenium include sardines, eggs, and garlic.

Interesting research article from Pubmed on boosting immunity for viral infections, including COVID19:

"For a viral disease like COVID-19, where no pharmacological strategies for prevention or treatment are presently available and the exact time of the ending of the alarming situation is unknown, nutritional strategies for enhancing immunity is something to be explored. In addition to treating malnutrition and weight reduction in obese healthy subjects, in this review we have highlighted the potential preventive and therapeutic application of few vitamins, trace elements, several nutraceuticals and probiotics. In the current global context with limited movements, it is difficult to obtain a balanced and varied diet. Therefore, achieving recommended amounts of calories and micronutrient will be a challenge. Selective micronutrient supplementations may be beneficial especially for vulnerable populations such as the elderly."

There is a summary of the recommendations in Table 5.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7161532/

Interesting research article from Pubmed on boosting immunity for viral infections, including COVID19:

"For a viral disease like COVID-19, where no pharmacological strategies for prevention or treatment are presently available and the exact time of the ending of the alarming situation is unknown, nutritional strategies for enhancing immunity is something to be explored. In addition to treating malnutrition and weight reduction in obese healthy subjects, in this review we have highlighted the potential preventive and therapeutic application of few vitamins, trace elements, several nutraceuticals and probiotics. In the current global context with limited movements, it is difficult to obtain a balanced and varied diet. Therefore, achieving recommended amounts of calories and micronutrient will be a challenge. Selective micronutrient supplementations may be beneficial especially for vulnerable populations such as the elderly."

There is a summary of the recommendations in Table 5.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7161532/
Interesting article.

I see so many varied recommendations for Vit D that I'm never sure how much to take. Here it says 5000iu/day.

"In regards to the global vitamin D deficiency especially in the population of the northern hemisphere during the winter, supplementation of vitamin D (5000IU/daily) may be effective for both high risk e.g. diabetes and obese individuals, and self-quarantined individuals [97]. Toxicity of vitamin D is rare and modestly high doses (2000–5000 IU/daily) can be taken for years*"

Interesting article.

I see so many varied recommendations for Vit D that I'm never sure how much to take. Here it says 5000iu/day.

"In regards to the global vitamin D deficiency especially in the population of the northern hemisphere during the winter, supplementation of vitamin D (5000IU/daily) may be effective for both high risk e.g. diabetes and obese individuals, and self-quarantined individuals [97]. Toxicity of vitamin D is rare and modestly high doses (2000–5000 IU/daily) can be taken for years*"

I am not really sure either. Before I read this paper, I was outside for 30 - 60 minutes a day and taking 400 IU in pill form based on this article -

""In England, Scotland and Wales, public health bodies have revised recommendations since the COVID-19 outbreak. Recommendations now state that all adults should take at least 400 IU vitamin D daily. Whereas there are currently no results from randomised controlled trials to conclusively prove that vitamin D beneficially affects COVID-19 outcomes, there is strong circumstantial evidence of associations between vitamin D and the severity of COVID-19 responses, including death."

COVID19 is linked to blood clots and the immunity article mentioned sufficient vitamins D + E, which both thin the blood.

Last edited:
The government dosage recommendations never keep up with actual practice. For example, the official Tolerable Upper Limit for Vit. C is only 2g/day. Of course, many people take 5-10g/day.

I am not really sure either. Before I read this paper, I was outside for 30 - 60 minutes a day and taking 400 IU in pill form based on this article -

""In England, Scotland and Wales, public health bodies have revised recommendations since the COVID-19 outbreak. Recommendations now state that all adults should take at least 400 IU vitamin D daily. Whereas there are currently no results from randomised controlled trials to conclusively prove that vitamin D beneficially affects COVID-19 outcomes, there is strong circumstantial evidence of associations between vitamin D and the severity of COVID-19 responses, including death."

COVID19 is linked to blood clots and the immunity article mentioned sufficient vitamins D + E, which both thin the blood.

You really need to have the Vitamin D blood test (25-hydroxy-Vit. D) done to see what your blood level of Vit. D is, before deciding what dosage of Vit. D supplement to take. Most articles I have read say that it's best to aim for a Vit. D blood level of somewhere between 40-60 ng/mL. So, if you check your blood level and find it is far below 40, it's probably good to take a higher daily dose (like 5000 IU) for a while, and then re-do the blood test, to see if that raised your blood level, and how much. That's what DW and I both do. We have found over the years that DW needs to take a daily dose of about 5000 IU for most of the year to keep her blood level around 60. For me, I basically only need to take a 5000IU daily dose during the winter months to keep mine around 60, so I only take it sporadically during the summer.

There is some controversy about what blood level of Vit. D is optimum. You will read some articles saying 30 ng/mL is adequate, and other articles saying it's best to be at 70 ng/mL. But the consensus seems to be that around 40-60 is the range to be in.

+1 on the comments that discuss sleep promoting immunity; not that I'm following it. Not sure how accurate these things I've watched and read about all these health benefits of getting a good night's sleep regularly. But I'm so looking forward to retirement to stop needing to do these all-nighters and hopefully be healthier for it.

We have found over the years that DW needs to take a daily dose of about 5000 IU for most of the year to keep her blood level around 60.

I'm similar. My level was generally in the 30s until about ten years ago. Then I started taking the 5,000 IU on a daily basis and it has been in the 60-70 range ever since.

+1 on the comments that discuss sleep promoting immunity; not that I'm following it. Not sure how accurate these things I've watched and read about all these health benefits of getting a good night's sleep regularly. But I'm so looking forward to retirement to stop needing to do these all-nighters and hopefully be healthier for it.

There is a book out (The End of Alzheimer's) where the author has published studies on reversing cognitive decline. Getting enough sleep is one of the important factors for cognition as well. I've always been a night owl so have to work on that, too.

Dietary selenium is also being reported as a possible factor. I buy bags of Brazil nuts I keep in the fridge and we each have at least one a day.

Article: https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/04/200429105907.htm

"The correlation we have identified is compelling, particularly given previous research on selenium and infectious diseases. As such, a careful and thorough assessment of the role selenium may play in COVID-19 is certainly justified and may help to guide ongoing public-health decisions."

Incidently, studies suggest that Brazil nuts can significantly raise LDL and lower HDL for an extended period of time:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3693158/

"These results suggest that eating an average of 4 nuts might be enough to improve the levels of LDL-c and HDL-c for up to 30 days."

Attachments

• ldl.jpg
    ldl.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 27
  • HDL.jpg
    HDL.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 27
While magnesium isn't usually one of the main minerals mentioned for immunity boosting, without it vitamin D can't be metabolized -

"Vitamin D can't be metabolized without sufficient magnesium levels, meaning Vitamin D remains stored and inactive for as many as 50 percent of Americans. In addition, Vitamin D supplements can increase a person's calcium and phosphate levels even while they remain Vitamin D deficient. People may suffer from vascular calcification if their magnesium levels aren't high enough to prevent the complication.....Patients with optimum magnesium levels require less Vitamin D supplementation to achieve sufficient Vitamin D levels....

While the recommended daily allowance for magnesium is 420 mg for males and 320 mg for females, the standard diet in the United States contains only about 50 percent of that amount. As much as half of the total population is estimated to be consuming a magnesium-deficient diet."

Full article - https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/02/180226122548.htm

Last edited:
Very interesting about the brazil nuts, thanks for posting. My HDL needs a boost.

Incidently, studies suggest that Brazil nuts can significantly raise LDL and lower HDL for an extended period of time:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3693158/

"These results suggest that eating an average of 4 nuts might be enough to improve the levels of LDL-c and HDL-c for up to 30 days."
That is a wacky study. It's saying that if you take 4 Brazil nuts on day one, your LDL will go down 20% in a day and stay down for a month. It's like a super statin! I'm going to try it before my next test.

That is a wacky study. It's saying that if you take 4 Brazil nuts on day one, your LDL will go down 20% in a day and stay down for a month. It's like a super statin! I'm going to try it before my next test.

I have been eating 2 Brazil nuts daily for 2 years. My LDL runs 85.
Don't know what it was before I started eating the nuts.
You don't want to eat too many of nuts as at a point they become toxic.

Another vitamin D and COVID19 study just came out: "Low plasma 25(OH)D level appears to be an independent risk factor for COVID‐19 infection and hospitalization." https://febs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/febs.15495

This interesting paper was recently in The Lancet: "The striking overlap between risk factors for severe COVID-19 and vitamin D deficiency, including obesity, older age, and Black or Asian ethnic origin, has led some researchers to hypothesise that vitamin D supplementation could hold promise as a preventive or therapeutic agent for COVID-19...... it would seem uncontroversial to enthusiastically promote efforts to achieve reference nutrient intakes of vitamin D, which range from 400 IU/day in the UK to 600–800 IU/day in the USA. These are predicated on benefits of vitamin D for bone and muscle health, but there is a chance that their implementation might also reduce the impact of COVID-19 in populations where vitamin D deficiency is prevalent; there is nothing to lose from their implementation, and potentially much to gain. https://www.thelancet.com/journals/landia/article/PIIS2213-8587(20)30268-0/fulltext

Perhaps I read it wrong, but this study was proposed by Universidad de Granada, not "the government."

They are identified as the sponsor but it is being listed on the gov't trials website.

Well, sure - but, to be clear, this particular study is not a USG study, nor sponsored by the USG.

Back
Top Bottom