Boosting Immunity

Here is a new study on zinc and Covid -

"New research presented at this week's ESCMID Conference on Coronavirus Disease (ECCVID, held online from 23-25 September) shows that having a lower level of zinc in the blood is associated with a poorer outcome in patients with COVID-19. The study is by Dr Roberto Güerri-Fernández, Hospital Del Mar, Barcelona, Spain, and colleagues....The authors conclude: "Lower zinc levels at admission correlate with higher inflammation in the course of infection and poorer outcome. Plasma zinc levels at admission are associated with mortality in COVID-19 in our study. Further studies are needed to assess the therapeutic impact of this association."

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2020-09/esoc-lzl092220.php

"New research presented at this week's ESCMID Conference on Coronavirus Disease (ECCVID, held online from 23-25 September) shows that having a lower level of zinc in the blood is associated with a poorer outcome in patients with COVID-19. The study is by Dr Roberto Güerri-Fernández, Hospital Del Mar, Barcelona, Spain, and colleagues....The authors conclude: "Lower zinc levels at admission correlate with higher inflammation in the course of infection and poorer outcome. Plasma zinc levels at admission are associated with mortality in COVID-19 in our study. Further studies are needed to assess the therapeutic impact of this association."

This study also says a person should take hydroxychloroquine! We all know what the experts say about that.

Last edited:

I've read a number of studies that say zinc oxide plays an important part in healing wounds. Seems like that could apply internally as well.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5793244/

Successful wound repair requires a series of tightly coordinated steps including coagulation, inflammation, angiogenesis, new tissue formation and extracellular matrix remodelling. Zinc is an essential trace element (micronutrient) which plays important roles in human physiology. Zinc is a cofactor for many metalloenzymes required for cell membrane repair, cell proliferation, growth and immune system function. The pathological effects of zinc deficiency include the occurrence of skin lesions, growth retardation, impaired immune function and compromised would healing.

having a lower level of zinc in the blood is associated with a poorer outcome in patients with COVID-19.

I've read similar stuff. One source mentioned that since one of the best sources of zinc is red meat, the modern trend to avoid that may be contributing to lower zinc levels in some people.

Another post-hoc (retrospective), observational, epidemiological correlation! Wow, I'm impressed! (not).

I'm not saying there's no causation with zinc, I'm saying this "news" wouldn't even begin to convince me because it could be explained away with even the simplest and most obvious confounder: healthy user bias. I suggest setting aside some significant time and studying this whole series, written by Dr. Attia, a clinician and podcaster.

This study also says a person should take hydroxychloroquine! We all know what the experts say about that.

It doesn't say that. It says "After adjusting by age, sex, severity and receiving hydroxychloroquine, statistical analysis showed each unit increase of plasma zinc at admission to hospital was associated with a 7% reduced risk of in-hospital mortality". By your interpretation, it would mean they are also advising sex for Covid, which they are not.

I've read similar stuff. One source mentioned that since one of the best sources of zinc is red meat, the modern trend to avoid that may be contributing to lower zinc levels in some people.

I have wondered about that, too. DH and I started taking zinc and watching zinc in our diets better when we first heard that zinc will inhibit the replication of many viruses, including other types of already studied coronaviruses.The results were pretty amazing for us. Every time we feel a scratchy throat coming on we've been taking Cold-eeze and the symptoms seem to be alleviated rather quickly instead of turning into a week long cold like we used to get.

We still don't eat red meat but we do eat some seafood, including oysters, and dark meat poultry. They are supposed to be good for anti-angiogenesis for cancer as well.

I just started eating Total cereal. That's my multivitamin.

91gj-KA17%2BL._SL1500_.jpg

Another post-hoc (retrospective), observational, epidemiological correlation! Wow, I'm impressed! (not).

I'm not saying there's no causation with zinc, I'm saying this "news" wouldn't even begin to convince me because it could be explained away with even the simplest and most obvious confounder: healthy user bias. I suggest setting aside some significant time and studying this whole series, written by Dr. Attia, a clinician and podcaster.

I don't know why you feel the need for sarcasm and condescension over my posting a serious research study presented at the 2020 ESCMID Conference on Coronavirus Disease (ECCVID).

If this was a "one of" study it might not be newsworthy. But zinc has shown to help with other coronaviruses, so it seems like there would possibly be benefits and no downside to making sure one is not zinc deficient. Related articles - Coronavirus: To zinc or not to zinc? Zinc is no COVID-19 magic bullet, but it has shown to help with other coronaviruses. - https://www.uchealth.org/today/zinc-could-help-diminish-extent-of-covid-19/

Also this paper - "During the current corona pandemic, new therapeutic options against this viral disease are urgently desired. Due to the rapid spread and immense number of affected individuals worldwide, cost-effective, globally available, and safe options with minimal side effects and simple application are extremely warranted. This review will therefore discuss the potential of zinc as preventive and therapeutic agent alone or in combination with other strategies, as zinc meets all the above described criteria. While a variety of data on the association of the individual zinc status with viral and respiratory tract infections are available, study evidence regarding COVID-19 is so far missing but can be assumed as was indicated by others and is detailed in this perspective, focusing on re-balancing of the immune response by zinc supplementation. Especially, the role of zinc in viral-induced vascular complications has barely been discussed, so far. Interestingly, most of the risk groups described for COVID-19 are at the same time groups that were associated with zinc deficiency. As zinc is essential to preserve natural tissue barriers such as the respiratory epithelium, preventing pathogen entry, for a balanced function of the immune system and the redox system, zinc deficiency can probably be added to the factors predisposing individuals to infection and detrimental progression of COVID-19. Finally, due to its direct antiviral properties, it can be assumed that zinc administration is beneficial for most of the population, especially those with suboptimal zinc status." https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fimmu.2020.01712/full

Last edited:
I take a zinc tab daily and if I feel a cold coming on I suck on zinc lozenges and never seem to get sick. That does not constitute a clinical study, but there seems to be plenty of evidence suggesting its helpful and it works for me, so I do not really care if anyone thinks otherwise.

Main thing I'm trying to improve on is weight and reduce cardiovascular risk. Vitamin D-I've been taking 2000 IU most days. Vitamin K2 as well. Regular vitamin supplement. Reduce overall inflammation with low carb or ketogenic diet, avoid seed oils and virtually no processed foods which are high in omega-6. Increase omega-3 with fish oil and fish 1-2x/week. I make my own salad dressing and mayonnaise with avocado oil as well. Regular exercise, though it needs to be more intense. Vitamin D level was perfect last month. Still have weight to lose.

I haven't had a cold in years, even though I was a hospital pediatrician before retiring last year. Flu season 2018-2019 was crazy busy; our ward was full and I was up all night in the ER with babies with flu and other respiratory infections. Wearing a mask, washing hands are key.

I don't know why you feel the need for sarcasm and condescension over my posting a serious research study presented at the 2020 ESCMID Conference on Coronavirus Disease (ECCVID).
Sorry about that. I'm probably sour due to so many years of believing that post-hoc association studies really meant something, when they very well might not mean anything at all. The value of the study in this case is that supplementing with zinc is very safe, so can be used without risk. If it turns out that there is effectiveness in reducing transmission or reducing the duration of symptoms, then it's a win. As you bolded, the populations with lowest zinc levels are the ones most likely to benefit. Too bad the ones most likely to supplement with zinc probably aren't the ones with the lowest zinc levels.

"....vitamin D deficiency is a causal, rather than a bystander, factor in COVID-19 outcomes......Widely recommending 2,000 IU of vitamin D daily for all populations with limited ability to manufacture vitamin D from the sun has virtually no potential for harm and is reasonably likely to save many lives."

A basic review of the preliminary evidence that Covid-19 risk and severity is increased in vitamin D deficiency

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7513835/

I started taking melatonin last year due to sleep issues related to my keto diet. I still take it. It’s been surprising to see it show up as part of the Covid treatment protocols.

I take melatonin too, but I can only take about 0.5mg. My dreams would get nightmarish with any more than that...
I take sublingual tablets.

Last edited:
My major immune system builders are: Vit C, Vit D3/K2, Zinc, and Grape Seed Extract (taking Grape Seed Ex 25 yrs)...

I take other supps as well to manage the aging body.

I’m gonna ignore jam12, for their misplaced/ignorant beliefs in support of supplements, and against vaccinations.

The world has become a nutty place - I had hoped this sort of anti scientific drivel would be restricted on sites like this.

That is your Choice, Stephenson....ignore away. And yes it's very very nuts out there....it's not in my house...thanks.

I’m gonna ignore jam12, for their misplaced/ignorant beliefs in support of supplements, and against vaccinations.

The world has become a nutty place - I had hoped this sort of anti scientific drivel would be restricted on sites like this.

Was it really necessary to announce you're going to ignore a poster. Seems unnecessarily rude.

It didn’t used to be necessary, but allowing those with such unbelievable opinions to offer them without pushback is what led, IMO, to the current political circumstance.

Back
Top Bottom