BPme app

retire-early

Full time employment: Posting here.
According to BP.com,

Download the BPme app, register your BPme Rewards account and add a payment card.
Pull into a bp or Amoco station, then use the app to select your pump and pay.
Save on every gallon, every time you fill up. Easy peasy!

Before going through all of that,
I am confused about the part about using the app to select the pump.
There are so many pumps in thousands of BP stations, how do I select the pump? QR code?

If I remember correctly, the app uses your location to determine the BP station you are at and then you simply enter the pump number.

I must say, I was frustrated with this app. It can take a long time for the location to be retireved and then for the pump to unlock. Now it may only be a minute but still not as quick as just swiping your credit card.

Because of my experience with the BP app, I have switched exclusively to Shell. No app use necessary, simply swipe the credit card that you previously linked online and your discounts appear immediately. Plus T Mobile customers get the added benefit of getting an extra 10 cents off per gallon. I love it.

The app has a bit of a learning curve, but after that it's easy to use:
Open the app. Look for the pump # on the gas pump. On your app, scroll to that pump# and select it. Then, select payment method (your default payment card previously input). Then, confirm. The pump is then ready to dispense.
I've had the BP app for quite some time. I'm a little tech UN-savvy, so it took me a while to get this down pat. But now I'm a pro and it's quick.

Thank you both.

I have a BP gift card; I was hoping to be able to email someone else the gift card number and have the person use the app to pay for a purchase.
I thought this would be preferable to mailing the gift card to that person.

Hmmmm.

Last edited:
I hate how every company magically thinks spending a bunch of money on an APP (and the maintenance of it forever) is better than giving the person a number to punch in or a special card to swipe.

I don't have data on my phone, so all those things I can only see across the great digital divide... :eek:

I stopped buying gas at BP because of this.

Gas stations really need to enable NFC payments (Apple Pay, Google Pay, etc) at the pumps. In the Washington DC metro area, most credit card thefts are done with card skimmers at gas pumps and ATMs. Mobil had a "MobilPass", IIRC, which was a tiny little wand-like fob that just held an account number, and you could wave that in front of a pump to pay. I had one, and it was convenient....but not convenient enough to make me go to a Mobil station if they didn't have the lowest price! Remember, if your pennies aren't screaming, you're not pinching them hard enough!

Gas stations really need to enable NFC payments (Apple Pay, Google Pay, etc) at the pumps. In the Washington DC metro area, most credit card thefts are done with card skimmers at gas pumps and ATMs. Mobil had a "MobilPass", IIRC, which was a tiny little wand-like fob that just held an account number, and you could wave that in front of a pump to pay.

Absolutely! I've often wondered why at least the major brands haven't done this already. Plenty of them have the NFC logo on the pump, but it's just for their own loyalty program, not for payment. If I could use Apple Pay to buy gas it would certainly be a factor in deciding where to go. There are so many reports of card skimmers at gas stations that it always makes me a bit nervous.

I have found that stations that have NFC reader at the pump take Apple Pay even if the station does not show as taking it. Valero is not listed at an Apple Pay station, however, I use my watch to pay all the time.

I have found that stations that have NFC reader at the pump take Apple Pay even if the station does not show as taking it. Valero is not listed at an Apple Pay station, however, I use my watch to pay all the time.

Thanks, that's great to know. Looking forward to trying it the next time I see one.

Oh, cool, good to know. I use Google Pay on a Samsung phone, but I've tried waving it around the front of a pump before, just to see if it worked. :D I don't think there's a Valero station on my regular route now, but if I find myself at one I'll definitely try it, just in case.

My son was the one that turned me onto this. He tries the Apple Watch at just about all NFC terminals. He says its amazing how many it works on. Another trick, if you go to Disney Land/World and have the quick line pass, it is a QR code. Take a picture of the code and us it for your Watch face. When you get to the scanner just scan your watch. He says it is 'cool' watching the ticket attendant when it works right after he says 'Apple Watch does not work here' then the OK goes off.

How exactly does it work at the pump?
You would first have to use it to activate the pump, then when you replace the handle you get some confirmation of the amount charged?

Stations around here, East Tx, can't say everywhere, tht have an NFC reader on the pump. It is a 2x3 inch sq. (approximately) on the front of the pump. I select Debit, as Apple Pay is hooked to my debit card, the activate the watch and move it to the sensor. The screen will then as for some form of ID i.e. Zip code, Pin, etc. Actually those are the only two I have been ask for. After that, the pump say remove handle and select grade of gas.
k7j8rz6kggsz.jpg

Stations around here, East Tx, can't say everywhere, tht have an NFC reader on the pump. It is a 2x3 inch sq. (approximately) on the front of the pump. I select Debit, as Apple Pay is hooked to my debit card, the activate the watch and move it to the sensor. The screen will then as for some form of ID i.e. Zip code, Pin, etc. Actually those are the only two I have been ask for. After that, the pump say remove handle and select grade of gas.

That image looks just like the image on my new Credit cards, so maybe it also works as a tap & go for credit cards.

I'm going to try the next time I buy gas, in about a month or two :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom