Breaking Bad

We liked the Killing, but for the acting, not so much the story. The actor who played Det. Holder was great. I can't believe he is Swedish and normally talks with quite an accent.

Watched the first episode of BB season 5 tonight; DVRd.

It was magnetic!. Absolutely great episode.

BB came up today with a conversation with a buddy who shares common interests in "edgy" tv series and movies. I asked him if BB would be a good series for me and the wife to watch (start with season one using Netflix), but he said it's probably too dark for my wife. I can handle dark (like Six Feet Under, etc) and I know the story line, but my friend really thinks this is even too dark for me. Comments?

BB came up today with a conversation with a buddy who shares common interests in "edgy" tv series and movies. I asked him if BB would be a good series for me and the wife to watch (start with season one using Netflix), but he said it's probably too dark for my wife. I can handle dark (like Six Feet Under, etc) and I know the story line, but my friend really thinks this is even too dark for me. Comments?

No darker than Six Feet Under or The Wire IMO.

If you liked those series, you'll probably like BB.

Much, but not all of the time, of the time Breaking Bad has more light than a Black Hole. There are some moment of comedy and some wonderful moments of irony.

It isn't much darker than Soprano's. If you have Netflix I'd say watch the first disc or two (at the outside), they are a pretty good preview of coming depravity.

Reading a summary, like on Wikipedia, cannot begin to capture the quality of this great show. I enjoyed watching on DVR because as great as AMC has done in giving us MadMen, Walking Dead, and Breaking Bad they have waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too many commercials.

Reading a summary, like on Wikipedia, cannot begin to capture the quality of this great show. I enjoyed watching on DVR because as great as AMC has done in giving us MadMen, Walking Dead, and Breaking Bad they have waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too many commercials.

I agree that there are too many commercials. I always DVR both MM and BB and zip thru them.

Yes I watched and DVRed it too. I have to say *SPOILER ALERT* that I was really disappointed at how lame it was. Every ep of Season 4 was a cliff hanger and this was really lacking. I may watch it again to see what I think. *END SPOILER ALERT*

BB is the best fiction show on TV, probably evah! Yeah I like it! :dance: And if you haven't watched all 4 seasons you won't get it by watching season 4. It's a very complex story and I think it's best to watch an entire season on DVD for the continuity it provides. I did that prior to the start of season 4 and so many things clicked that I had forgotten or missed or just did not understand due to the week to week lag. TOOOOO many commercials but from week to week you forget all the little things that make this such an awesome show. I'd like to watch season 4 on DVD today.

Edited to add - if you are really hooked then this forum is a must to read! People here discuss the show and it's amazing the things you'll learn or pickup on that you missed. All eps from all seasons are discussed but naturally season 5 ep 1 is now the current topic.

http://forums.televisionwithoutpity.com/index.php?showforum=1173

Last edited:
I watched the very first episode last night. I thought it was good, but so much was unpleasant and depressing. Is it like this the whole series? I will probably keep watching for awile to see, but just wondered.

Ally said:
I watched the very first episode last night. I thought it was good, but so much was unpleasant and depressing. Is it like this the whole series? I will probably keep watching for awile to see, but just wondered.

To quote Al Jolsen, "you ain't seen nothing yet!"

The show while it does have light and humorous moments is very very dark. This is one man's journey to destroy his own decency.

The show while it does have light and humorous moments is very very dark. This is one man's journey to destroy his own decency.

That's what I love about it - they get into some real comical situations, then they get into other messes that make you wonder how the heck they will get through it. The acting is superb and the story is so engaging. Unfortunately we only get OTA channels so I have to wait for Netflix. I'm sad that Season 5 is the end.

quote_img.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ally

Boy ain't that the truth! If you just started to watch you're going to be lost. There's so much history, I'm surprised at all the things I have forgotten until something comes up....

Tonight episode may have been my favorite ever and for a show this good that is saying something.

Seriously this after seeing this heist, I fear I'll be bored watching Oceans 23, or Mission Impossible VIII.

Tonight episode may have been my favorite ever and for a show this good that is saying something.

Seriously this after seeing this heist, I fear I'll be bored watching Oceans 23, or Mission Impossible VIII.

When I saw Jesse fiddling with that straw (when Walt and Mike were arguing) I thought that he was going to suggest that they construct a pipeline from the "dead zone" to a safe location. I still think my idea was better...

Jesse seems to be the source of good ideas this season.

That's exactly what I thought too. Of the 4 past seasons, S4 was the best with almost every episode in it being excellent. It could have ended with Face Off and I'd have been content. Sunday night's was so suspenseful, the last 10 minutes were nail biting AND THEN THE FINAL 15 OR 20 SECONDS BLEW THAT AWAY all by itself! How could those last 4 seconds ever have been expected?

And now where does this go from here?

47+ minutes of a first class thriller and 20 seconds of heart wrenching morality tale. TV doesn't get better than this.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom