Butter: store it cold or room temp?

Fridge. I need to remember to take it out like tonight cuz I made a toasted cheese sandwich. I like butter but I don't use it much so 1 stick can last many months, I doubt that would be safe after that long of a time. I agree with W2R, rancid butter -YUK.

One stick on the rear of the counter-beyond the reach of the dog. We use butter for toast, pancakes and cooking. Go through it fast enough not to go rancid ever. Yellow margarine was illegal in Wisconsin until 1967.

I'm a butter in the fridge person. My new sig other keeps his butter on the counter. Does this relationship have a future:confused::confused:

Now the next debate

Refrigerate eggs or not.

When I was in France they did not refrigerate them. In the US, I have never seen them not.

Now the next debate

Refrigerate eggs or not.

When I was in France they did not refrigerate them. In the US, I have never seen them not.

That is because in Europe, they don't wash their eggs so the eggs retain a natural barrier to salmonella.

Here in the US, we wash the eggs, which strips off the protective coating and allows salmonella to enter the egg, a health risk.

I keep it in the fridge and pull it out, and slice off a piece for use.
+1. I want to keep it as fresh as possible, having it at softened at room temp isn’t a priority. When DW bakes, she takes butter out in advance as needed.

Now the next debate

Refrigerate eggs or not.

That is because in Europe, they don't wash their eggs so the eggs retain a natural barrier to salmonella.

Here in the US, we wash the eggs, which strips off the protective coating and allows salmonella to enter the egg, a health risk.

Exactly! Egg washing is required in the US for larger commercial producers. Thus must be refrigerated.

Last edited:
Fridge/freezer but I'm in FL and the house gets fairly warm during the day most of the year and I rarely use butter as a condiment and then use spreadable butter/olive oil whipped spread. What I want is a quick and reliable way to bring it up to room temp quickly when I am baking without melting part of it....seems to take FOREVER to get to the right temp for creaming.

We do not eat much butter. I am thinking maybe a month for a stick so we refrigerate.

First, my credentials: Matriarch of the family was from Wisconsin and an incredible cook, who taught the whole family about food and cooking.

Never fake butter. And lard, not Crisco, so I her to thank for never having transfats (except in my peanut butter).

Aligning with most: One stick on the counter and the rest in the fridge.

We usually have one stick in the butter dish on the counter and the rest in the fridge. No stick lasts more than a week, so I think we're okay. We also occasionally churn our own butter from cream.

Ditto

Butter (Kerrygold) and eggs in the fridge for longer term.

One stick of butter in a butter dish is on the counter, have never had it go rancid. I do keep it stored in the fridge in hot weather.

in butter dish with cover on the counter. After a few weeks, discard unused and replace with fresh stick. When I think of butter I recall the story of the 2o+ lb ball of butter recovered from a peat bog in the UK that was hundreds of years old and not rancid. of course my butter dish is not a peat bog, mostly.

Kerrygold kept in the fridge. When it’s on sale, I’ll stock up and store it in the freezer.

in butter dish with cover on the counter. After a few weeks, discard unused and replace with fresh stick. When I think of butter I recall the story of the 2o+ lb ball of butter recovered from a peat bog in the UK that was hundreds of years old and not rancid. of course my butter dish is not a peat bog, mostly.

I saw that story. Very interesting.

My grocery store had Kerrygold in a tub, "naturally soft" or something like that, so I'll give it a try.

we use "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter' instead of butter. I buy 4-tubs at a time and never considered leaving them anywhere except the fridge where it stays very spread-a-ble. When I was a kid my mom always bought butter and kept it in the fridge. very hard to spread. when first married we used margarine (saving $). now, 53-yrs later, butter tastes "funny".

Kerrygold unsalted in a butter dish in the fridge. It was challenging getting it during the pandemic and I'd often have to buy the blocks and cut to fit in the butter dish. I stock up during a sale so always have some in the freezer.

I should also comment here that if you have never tried Kerrygold butter (from Ireland) you are missing a most wonderful product. Costco carries it at an excellent price and we have used nothing else for years. It's so good we will sometimes just cut off a piece and eat it plain.

Yep, Kerrygold butter from Costco is our butter of choice. (Once or twice DH bought home some Kerrygold cheese, but it was gone before the groceries were unpacked.)

Real butter is kept on the countertop in a covered butter dish. When it gets to be ~1/4 to 1/8th left, another comes out of the fridge, so it is soft when the 1st is used up. Usually takes about 1 week to 2 weeks to use up a stick.

Finally a highly relevant topic!

We keep 1/2 to 1 stick on the counter, so much easier to spread!
We keep the rest in the fridge. We buy our butter from Costco so quite a few sticks at a time.

Back
Top Bottom