Buyers remorse-what did you buy in retirement that you regret?

msefren

Dryer sheet wannabe
There have been several things but the one that tops DW's list is not one but two corvettes. Nice cars and fun to have but not smart (of which I am constantly reminded). Insurance, taxes, fuel etc.

I recently took my 4 yo grandson out to the garage to show him the cars thinking he would be excited since he is a "hot wheels guy" He said " Grandpa you have two corbettes! Why?" I had no answer. :blush:

Last edited:
You should have said "One for when you take the wife out, and one for when you take the girlfriend out."

You can tell the wife that next time she reminds you.

I could do that but there would be no need for LT care insurance...no long term for me

Nothing? I'm pretty happy with my lifestyle, what I spend, what I have, and what I don't have.

I have a few pieces of art that I bought for my previous home, that I haven't yet found a place for in my Dream Home. But really I feel I got value from them before I moved. They are in a closet now, and it's always possible that I might find just the right spot for any or all of them.

Actually nothing that I can think of.

If I had my way, I would have a '65 Vette Stingray (to bring back old memories), a nice C5 convertible for "daily driving" and an pre-order on a 2020 mid engine one...:cool:

DW reminds me that I only have one parking space in the garage for my ride, and it currently has a 1998 F150 Lariat Edition truck in it.

No remorse buys here!

"Because I like them, and I can"

While that may be a great response for your peers, your neighbors, your adult kids, and your soon-to-be-ex-boss, that may not be the rationale that you want to teach to a four year old.

Johnny, why did you take the baby's toys? Answer "Because I like them and I can."

In 2017 I went into the Toyota dealership to buy a Rav4 . I had picked out all the options and I was ready to deal . When I got there they had the C-HR on the floor . It looked so sporty and reminded me of the fun cars of my youth .Well I left with the C_HR and almost immediately had buyers remorse so I returned the car and purchased a RAV4.Returning it was not as easy as they make it sound but I did it .

Nothing major. I bought a digital camera thinking photography would be a nice new hobby for retirement. Never got into it.

Nothing significant yet. But I wouldn’t expect to have regrets unless/until I start to believe our nest egg isn’t going to be adequate - and that should be about 20 years from now. And then regrets won’t do any good...

Not retired yet.

My concerns involving regrets would be big ticket items that did not work out, i.e. purchase a new home, and not happy, or new vehicle and not use it or . . .
something that makes me/us sick or causes us pain, i.e, I sure wish I hadn't taken that vacation on the ski slopes . . .

Not pricey, but I still recall THREE meals that resulted in food poisoning! :sick:

Nothing so far. This month begins our 17th year of retired life, and even before retirement we gave a lot of thought to expensive purchases. With even more time to think things through since we don't have the time-sucking complication of w*rk to deal with we haven't bought anything that we regret.

Well, maybe that last carton of chocolate mint ice cream....

There have been several things but the one that tops DW's list is not one but two corvettes. Nice cars and fun to have but not smart (of which I am constantly reminded). Insurance, taxes, fuel etc.
:confused: I bought 3 Vettes before retirement and 1 more after. Plus 4 more Higher Performance (and more expensive) cars after that, so far. Zero regrets.

I have always liked the looks of vettes but found them a royal PIA to get in and out of. Never been a car, boat or RV guy but have wasted plenty of money on golf and motorcycles in retirement but no buyers remorse or regrets.

I bought DW a very expensive diamond ring she wanted for our tenth anniversary. Looks like about five bucks worth.

We bought a Ranger Tug trawler. Great boat, loved it for the 5 years we had it but it cost a bucket load of money to use it and pay for a slip in a marina. We sold it and then 2 weeks later a big hurricane hit our marina, fortunately the boat had been moved by the new owner to somewhere else. Now every time a big hurricane heads toward North Carolina (like now) I am so glad we don't own a boat.

I find that I over analyze almost every purchase to the point of not buying a few things, and having complete confidence in most of my purchases....some call me lucky to get all of these good deals, I call myself thorough !

My biggest regret is a 1999 diesel F250 we bought 9 years ago to pull our camper, without realizing it had been all redone with bondo, and a quicky paint job. I suspect that the odometer had been turned back 100K, because alot of expensive fixes needed to be done over the years (we still own it 9 years later), so maybe we are trying to justify our purchase

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom