Buyers remorse-what did you buy in retirement that you regret?

I sometimes (July-Sep) regret selling the Colorado cabin before the move to Reno. DW is getting intolerant of 95+ temps (after living in Houston for 25 years!)
I think the solution will be to lease in Montana/Wyoming for a month or two each year.

I'm waiting for Nevada Energy to install a meter before turning on the solar, and next step is to sell the Forester and buy a used Bolt. May regret that one (like the Forester but it's either that or the two year old Silverado Z71).

I know how it feels to buy a lemon but have you checked out the JLs? DW just bought a Unlimited Rubicon for her 5th Wrangler. It's unlike anything I've seen in a Wrangler. Who knows about the reliability at this point? But I enjoy driving this much more than my 2014 GMC Sierra.
The deisel engine would be intriguing, but no more Chryslers for me. That new Ford Tremor is a rock crawler with 35 inch tires, so it should satisfy my off road itch and keep me going in deep snow and the rough roads out here. I will see about the reliability.

Regret buying the big beautiful diesel pusher MotorHome. Don’t get me wrong. We love it. We can afford it. But, it hasn’t been used as much as we wanted to use it. Used it about 75 days the first summer, about what we expected, the second summer she got sick, the third summer, I got Prostate cancer, the fourth we moved, the fifth, the previous home STILL hasn’t sold (fell out of escrow 3x, and we’d been going back and forth trying to get it sold). If we don’t get 60+ days usage out of it next summer, we’ll sell it and just get a little trailer.

Well said!

It seems I seldom have regrets. The reason is i dislike regret so much. I know, no one likes regret but I think I channel my dislike of regret into my decision process.

But being analytical, I sometimes think it might be fun if I allowed myself to do something ill-considered.
But I do not regret not having done so.

+1

I had been lecturing DW about “FI” etc. for a few weeks. Then a thought crept into my head that I really needed to trade out one of my motorcycles for a different style of riding. I managed to pull it off, but I had to eat some humble pie to do it. Luckily I found my fifth or sixth “once in a lifetime” deals. 😂That always makes it a lot less painful.

We are young retired still in the careful phase wondering if we are really going to get away with this.

Every scrap of discretionary money goes to maintaining second home in Florida, especially after Canadian dollar depreciated 25% and condo fees have doubled. Still, no regrets on the purchase.

I guess I regret not getting an American passport at some point.

I like to wait until equipment and cars are beyond repair, wife likes to stay ahead of curve, so I regret not replacing our 30 year old northern AC which died on a Friday night heading into a heat wave last month.

As far as toys, you can harmlessly purge yourself of these envys/attractions by buying used, in the right town, at the right season, maybe doing some repair, and often resell later flipping the strategy.

I had a phase of early interest in robotic vacuums, floor washers, lawn mowers, gutter cleaners following that method. The vacuum is still around.

In Florida I see a lot of others moving too much and moving too big.

Back
Top Bottom