Call me silly

I, too, though of doing the exact same thing just to learn how to do taxes essentially.

While other's experiences may be different, I found I learned a lot about how to enter data into the tax return software and only a little about how to actually "do" an individual tax return.

After two and a half years of being retired, moving to a warmer climate, playing golf, riding my motorcycle across country and doing anything I damn well please I have become brain bored.
You don't have to take on a job to keep the brain entertained.

I've always had a strong need for intellectual stimulation.

Early after ER taking a 3 semester ornithology home study course from Cornell University took care of some of that need for me. I got to do it on my own pace, but still cracked the books, turned in the exams, and got the exam scores back. I've since cracked a few other science texts - just for fun! (what a geek!)

In addition, I've ended up learning a HUGE amount of computer tools for video editing, graphic design, photo editing, etc. The tools are complex and endlessly evolving. They are quite demanding on the brain. The output of projects using these tools are unique to us and incredibly rewarding. I've produced a lot of cool "stuff" over the years. I sometimes fantasize that if I HAD to earn a living, I would do graphic design. That seems to give me the most immediate enjoyment. I can spend hours manipulating images.

My husband spends a HUGE amount of time programming. But this is to populate his giant database of all his photo data and automatically generate web pages for his photos. It's incredibly sophisticated. I tease him sometimes about how it's like he's back at work - especially with the late night programming sprees, but it's all for his own enjoyment, and to share those web sites with other naturalists, of course.

Over the years we've also developed expertise in bird watching, fine art printing, photography, ...... The list goes on and on.

Never occurred to me to work for someone else to keep my brain entertained....

The closest I got - I almost submitted a magazine article plus photographs to a couple of bird magazines. Then life got in the way - we got too involved in going fulltime RVing.

But sincerely - to each his own. Whatever floats your boat.

Audrey

W*rked for HRB one season 20 years ago while I still w*rked fulltime. I had my own sideline tax practice for several years after that. W*rking for myself was better. It would take me maybe ten HRB returns to earn the same money I could make doing one in my own practice. Did get to see a lot of tax situations that season at HRB, and learned from that. For many years, tax preparation was "fun", like solving puzzles. Enjoyed the aspect of building my own practice too.

After awhile though, the tax preparation business just got to be kind of grating. I got so I rejected (threw out) at least one or two or three would be customers each season. Some people would come in and want to cheat, but think that by having the tax preparer cheat for them, they weren't responsible and could get away with it. The favorite trick was they would "hope" a part-time sideline tax preparer would be so "hungry" for business and not know the rules that well, that some tricky tax situations would slip by. They would save some taxes, and the tax preparer would be the one screwing up--not them.

Then there was the guy who "neglected" to tell me about $80k worth of bonds he had sold and didn't give me the brokers 1099B form for the sales. Did his tax return, and of course the IRS did its matching routine several months later and sent him a bill for the overdue tax (based on zero cost basis) and interest and penalty. The guy had the nerve to come complaining to me about "my" screwing up his taxes. I asked him why he hadn't given me the 1099B and he said the broker told him the sale wasn't taxable. I contacted the broker (who is reputable) and he said he had told this guy no such thing. Don't know if the broker was more p*ssed or if I was. Anyway, the guy passed away about nine months later and left his wife to have to deal with his tax mess.

Like I said, tax prep got to be grating after awhile.

My husband spends a HUGE amount of time programming. But this is to populate his giant database of all his photo data and automatically generate web pages for his photos. It's incredibly sophisticated. I tease him sometimes about how it's like he's back at work - especially with the late night programming sprees, but it's all for his own enjoyment, and to share those web sites with other naturalists, of course.
You forgot to give us the URL Audrey -- we wanna look. And what about your stuff? Surely he has built a nice custom site for yours also? Cough up the URL.

Would it be fair to paraphrase your question as: "I can't think of anything interesting to do, so I'm going to go back to work so that someone else will tell me what to do -- is that silly?"?

You might read the book "Authentic Happiness" to help you decide whether going back to work will make you happier.

I'm like REW -- I don't like to have to go somewhere at a particular time. I'll have some jazz gig that I'm really looking forward to, and will really enjoy, but I'll still think "Oh boy, after this gig I won't have anything I have to do for a whole week!"

Would it be fair to paraphrase your question as: "I can't think of anything interesting to do, so I'm going to go back to work so that someone else will tell me what to do -- is that silly?"?
To me, it more seemed that frayne somehow got the idea that only "jobs" provide intellectual/mental stimulation. I think a LOT of people believe this.

Why?

Audrey

To me, it more seemed that frayne somehow got the idea that only "jobs" provide intellectual/mental stimulation. I think a LOT of people believe this.

Why?

Audrey

Not true at all, just want to do something and learn something out of my old area of expertise. Nothing wrong with meeting new people, helping people and learning new things on your own terms.

Don't be too quick to judge my dear.

I'm not judging. If a second career doing tax returns floats your boat, go for it. I just got the impression from your OP that you couldn't find leisure activities to keep your brain sufficiently engaged.

Audrey

I've done taxes for the past three years, and I'm planning to work again this year. I enjoy the work and I like (and discovered that I am very good at) dealing with the variety of clients that I see.

Pay for the first year will probably be low, but if you're good, you can negotiate the next year.

Okay, I did something like this, so I think I understand OP. While I was full-time employed, I took the preparation class for a large national chain - mostly thinking I'd like to learn better about tax laws for myself, but I did very well at it and had fun. I made far more at my regular job than any part-time tax preparer position would earn, but it was a fun hobby and tickled some kind of number/logic/people itch that felt good. I only did it a short while, as the company hassle quickly out weighed the taxprep fun for me (your experience may differ), but I see nothing wrong with finding something like this where you learn something interesting, apply it, get whatever mental exercise/stimulation floats your boat, and who cares if they also pay you for it. Since in this case they do, it keeps costs of your new hobby down. What's wrong with that?

I didn't see anything where OP suggested being so bored that a j*b was needed. What I understood was finding something fun to do, that to really do it (even part-time) meant taking a job that works in that field. Question was is it silly to entertain part-time work when you don't need the money, but might like the activity. I see nothing wrong with that. Retired people volunteer for all kinds of activities, which mostly don't pay, but this isn't much different except for the pay. Since you don't need the money, you can always walk away from the Big Chain and go "volunteer" to do something similar if you ever care to, but working with a firm for now requires being hired by them, and is probably a good way to learn more faster than you could without their backstop. I say go for it and have fun.

I don't think it is silly at all. Not too sound corny but I have always felt that if we put ourselves in a position to have choices we have reached a level of success. Those who can ER have made some decisions in life that have allowed them to do just that. Now that you have retired you again have choices and I think most would agree that we have a different view of work if we really don't have to. I am in education and have just gone back to school to a shortend week due to the holidays and said to DW that I could work forever if I only had to work two or three days a week. Good for you and best of luck.

So you don't feel too good about yourself, .... YOU ARE SILLY.
There, I have said it ... however, I am only 6 months in and can't imagine being brain bored... if I get there I will certainly do something to exercise the gray matter also. I also am among those that hate to get up early ... so if your new j*b entails getting up early and putting on a suit .. then i will repeat ... YOU ARE SILLY.
...but I agree that anything that you do voluntarily that makes you feel better ... then you go for it. But be sure to let us know when you find it's a grind... and quit. Best of luck on your new (semi) career.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom