Car covers

rtroxel

Recycles dryer sheets
We have decided to use our 2-car garage as a storage area, and consequently our cars are parked outside. We don't get much snow or rain in northern New Mexico, but it does happen enough for me to start looking at car covers.

I'm surprised by the large price range among the covers - from $50 to $200. We have a Chevy Blazer and Chevy Terrain.

Does anyone here use car covers?

Thanks,

Roy

I used an inexpensive one on my daughter's car several years ago while she was traveling. Worked fine for a car that was essentially in storage, but I wouldn't want to pull and stow a cover on a car driven daily.

Snow and rain have little affect on cars. The sun, especially in New Mexico, will be far more detrimental to the car. A cover can also do a lot of damage if it’s taken on and off frequently and improperly. Unless the car and the cover are clean, there will be constant scratching of the paint surface. I’d try to find a way to park the cars in the shade or just accept that the cost of using the garage for storage is accelerated aging of your cars.

I think a reasonable step would be those sun shades you put in the windshield. That would at least slow down the aging of the dash and some of the interior. Also, get your windows tinted as dark as legally possibly and that you are comfortable with.

Never used a cover myself, but good friend in the Islands always covered her dark green Honda. The car was always outside in the sun and rain. When her trans. gave out at 200K, the car looked brand new. No other experience, so YMMV.

I've seen in NV, people put a cover/carpet over their dash of the car, it stops it from being destroyed by the sun, so I'm told.

OP, is this temporary, or you are going to be like some of my neighbors, and have a garage full of [-]junk[/-] stuff for over 10 yrs :LOL:

Could you get one of these to park the cars under:
814e6Lnn4JL._AC_SS130_.jpg

Depending upon model, they are in the $250->$500 range.

I would not bother with the cover if the cars are less than 10yrs old. Even with a 25yr old car, all it lost was the clear coat after parking outside with all weather elements for that long.

In your situation I would probably invest good window tint and apply vinyl / rubber protective stuff to the interior and tire surface. The carport tent may be an easier solution but not everyone likes the look.

Last edited:
In winter, I put my car (SUV) in our 1-car garage every night. When snow is forecast, we put a cover on DW's sedan. If nothing else, it makes it easier to remove the snow from her car. I just don't trust using any soft brush/squeegee to remove snow directly from the car.

Thanks for the quick feedback, everyone!

I'm still puzzled by the wide range in prices for the covers. I guess the more expensive ones are for regions where they get ten feet of snow and/or the summer temperatures are above 100. (Correct me if I'm wrong.)

Roy

I never used a cover since I was afraid of doing more damage due to dirt on the car causing abrasion to the paint, flapping of the cover against the paint on windy days, trapping in moisture between the paint and the cover, etc. I'm sure more expensive covers try to mitigate some of that, at least better than cheaper covers.

Tent covers seem impractical for both snow and real windy days.

If OP doesn't like tent type shelters, there are better ones:

1901399CompleteSW.jpg

Another option would be for OP to rent a storage unit, so the garage does not get filled, or buy a couple of PODs or large storage sheds for the stuff, and let the cars be protected.

Or how about just weed out and have less stuff? Every house that we have lived in since 1982 have had garages and other than short periods of time where we have been doing a project in the garage we have always stored our cars in the garage.

Only useful car covers are felt style for indoor dust. Outside, they can scratch car, hold moisture, and do more damage than elements.

Back
Top Bottom