Carpet Q

mickeyd

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering C
I'm thinking of having new wall to wall carpeting put in the bedroom here. I've narrowed it down to two brands: Mohawk or Stevens. Both seem to be made out of the same material and have a variety of color shades. Price is about the same, it seems.

Which brand will wear better?

Mickey:
Wear is based on the fiber content and composition. When looking at carpet samples there is information on the back of the sample which will tell you about wear and warranty.

-- Rita

Mickey:
Wear is based on the fiber content and composition. When looking at carpet samples there is information on the back of the sample which will tell you about wear and warranty.

-- Rita
Thanks Rita. The samples that I have seem to indicate that they are pretty simular. That is what makes the choice so confusing. Maybe a carpet brand does not make much difference...

In my experience if the carpet is good (composition etc., warranty and color) the next thing is a QUALITY padding. They usually have about 3 levels of padding and, depending on the underfloor (wood or concrete) the higher grade will give the carpet a longer life and IMO worth the extra cost. If on concrete be sure to use a vapor barrier or a padding designed for concrete. Last, but not least, the installation of the product is important. The more experienced (usually older) the installer the better. BTW Mohawk is a brand I can remember, although today it may not make too much difference.

In my experience if the carpet is good (composition etc., warranty and color) the next thing is a QUALITY padding. They usually have about 3 levels of padding and, depending on the underfloor (wood or concrete) the higher grade will give the carpet a longer life and IMO worth the extra cost. If on concrete be sure to use a vapor barrier or a padding designed for concrete. Last, but not least, the installation of the product is important. The more experienced (usually older) the installer the better. BTW Mohawk is a brand I can remember, although today it may not make too much difference.

what you said. 8# rebond pad is the minimum we use. 6# or less compresses and has visible sunken trails in short order.

In my experience, money spent on pad is better spent than on carpet bang-for-buck wise: cheap carpet on heavy pad costs less and gives a better message to the foot than expensive carpet on cheaper lightweight pad.

Back
Top Bottom