Cars in non-metallic gray

Put me in the "that's ugly" camp. The grays to me are less bad than the light greens, though. My 2021 Prius Prime is "supersonic red" - very bright, and very sparkly. I love it.

My wife and I love this new non-metallic gray color on cars. Every time we see it, one of us makes a comment about how attractive and eye-catching it is. Maybe it's just because it's different. And maybe that's an indication that my eye has grown weary of all the glossy, metallic colors. We would definitely buy a car with this new gray.

Our 2019 Subaru Forester is green. I've always liked the shade of green that Subaru uses. I call it "forest" green, but I don't think that's what Subaru calls it. I was perusing the Subaru website a couple days ago (contemplating an upgrade). I actually checked to see if they have a version of this new gray. They don't.

Car folks. I am seeing a bunch of cars in what I call "battleship gray." What are your thoughts? On a Reddit post someone described it as "no additives like metallics, flakes, pearl coats and such. Just one pigment and clear coat for gloss." Looks like paint from many years ago.

I think we’re in the minority. But i agree with you. Love it.

They remind me of Midge Ure’s guitar from the 80’s IMG_6127.JPG

I like the non metallic cars. I have seen shades of gray, and some of the lighter hues of blue, tan, green.
I, too, am tired of all the black, white, silver/gray cars. Give me some color!

Put me in the "that's ugly" camp. The grays to me are less bad than the light greens, though. My 2021 Prius Prime is "supersonic red" - very bright, and very sparkly. I love it.

For visibility, any shade of red. IMO it's the least common color in nature and therefore stands out best.

I liked the desert (tan) and cement (gray) Toyota Tacoma colors a couple of years back but neither was available for 2023 so I opted for white with gray interior. Prefer light colors as they look cleaner for longer.

There was a legendary line from Ferry Porsche. In ~1983, they wanted to introduce similar drab colors to Porsche, including drab tans, and brought some examples to him for his approval. He reportedly thurned thumbs down, muttering "Afrika Korps."

For visibility, any shade of red. IMO it's the least common color in nature and therefore stands out best.

Apparently we really shocked our neighbors by going for really really red, ha ha.

I guess most of what we’ve had in the past has been more nature/earth tones. Nothing loud.

They didn’t even care that it was a Tesla, just that it was red, ha ha.

Ever wonder why Kelly Blue Book asks for the color of the car before giving you a value? It matters. Choose wisely my friends.

Part of the supply chain shortage nonsense has resulted in narrower color pallets. Hopefully this will change soon.

I've had 4 cars in my adult life, 2 were silver, 2 were dark red. I like red.

It’s not just gray. There are beige (putty) and blue and others that I consider to be industrial colors. Commercial trucks have been generally available in thousands of colors. Many companies have trademarked their colors. The newest trend is ultra flat colors with sheen whatsoever. I presume cost is driving some of these choices. Many cars gave a few standard colors but additional colors are priced higher.

I like lighter silver colors in general because they look clean all the time.

But, I make an exception for sports cars which I like in red. Well, some sports cars look great in British racing green, but that's hard to find these days.

NOT a fan of all black wheels. I keep hoping that trend will run its course. The only nice thing I can say about them is I guess they're easier to fix with touch up paint if they get chipped. :LOL:

The only thing missing is the stencil on the front doors that says “US Navy - for official use only”.

Ever wonder why Kelly Blue Book asks for the color of the car before giving you a value? It matters. Choose wisely my friends.

Alternative view: When I go to Carmax for an online quote, they don't ask for color. So not a factor for them. I would not personally want to sell a used car in a private transaction to a stranger but it might get a better price doing it that way and then color might be a factor especially if it is an extreme color like bright yellow or pink. Another thought, life is short enough without me worrying about how another buyer feels about color.

Apparently we really shocked our neighbors by going for really really red, ha ha.

I guess most of what we’ve had in the past has been more nature/earth tones. Nothing loud.

They didn’t even care that it was a Tesla, just that it was red, ha ha.

+1

It's fun to shock people.

U.S Navy ships, including battleships, are painted "Haze Gray". That car is darker than a battleship. (Submarines are black. Like death.)

Attachments

• US-Navy-MODERN-HAZE-GRAY-FS-36270-2-oz-Tru-Color-Paint.jpg
    US-Navy-MODERN-HAZE-GRAY-FS-36270-2-oz-Tru-Color-Paint.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 27
  • BMW-M340i-Nardo-Grey.jpg
    BMW-M340i-Nardo-Grey.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 167
Last edited:
U.S Navy ships, including battleships, are painted "Haze Gray". That car is darker than a battleship. (Submarines are black. Like death.)

I don't know Gumby. Maybe we should try comparing them in the water.

Can't get the battleship USS Zumwalt into a show room.

Is it just me or did this new "trend" coincide with the start of COVID? My theory was that they were having trouble getting the metal fleck material and decided to market the lack of that as a "New Trend" and are seeing if it can stick. As noted previously, the metalic paint is more difficult to get perfect, so less manufacturing costs could come into play as well.

Haze Gray looks a lot like "Primer". LOL.

NOT a fan of all black wheels. I keep hoping that trend will run its course. The only nice thing I can say about them is I guess they're easier to fix with touch up paint if they get chipped. :LOL:

.........and cheaper for the OEMs to make initially equals more profit for them.

I’ve seen these ‘battleship gray’ vehicles for a while now in the northeast. At first, I thought, wow that’s different and I liked them, and I still do, I wonder who these appeal to? Who are the target audiences? What did the research say? I like them but they’re not for me, I’m an SUV driver, white is my color!

Back
Top Bottom