Construction Input Needed

Another option would be to use a decorative post base like this.

Attachments

• 51VPoKMteoL._AC_SY350_.jpg
    51VPoKMteoL._AC_SY350_.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 186
Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I meet with the contractor today. This is a very good and reputable contractor, but there was a miscommunication with the crew that did the work and the contractor accepts full responsibility and wants to make me happy. They indicated there is absolutely no structural risk with the location where the load contacts the slab. I believe them and they said they will stand behind it if anything ever happened. They offered to do whatever would make me happy: move the structure, surround posts with stone columns, etc. I do not like the idea of moving a wood structure that has already been assembled, so I opted to do stone columns which will look like the stone columns were installed first and then slab poured around it. This is not being done with faux stone or veneer, but will utilize stone blocks that will not be in direct contact with the post. This is a free standing pergola, not attached to the house, so it did not require a building permit.
That is a nice way to do it. My son's place has the posts done like and looks really good.

I'm trained as a mechanical engineer specializing in structures and structural analysis. I am not a structural engineer nor am I licensed. But based on my expertise, I do not think you have a structural problem.

That said, this is a pretty incompetent screw up. I would get the boss down there to look at it and propose cosmetic solutions. For example, they can probably move the post in and attach it to the beam with a shear (as opposed to bearing) connection and it will look better. So they would bolt the post to the inside of the beam at the top so the post sits farther in on the concrete. Hope this is making sense. It will cost them labor plus the two longer support posts.

If this is a custom pergola I would insist on that. If this is a pergola you bought and paid to have them install then the issue is more that they did not consult with you on options when it did not fit.

You have had structural advice from more qualified people than me.
IMO the posts to a pergola are not a feature, you just want to camouflage the brackets with minimal material that will not trap water.

No-one else apart from you will notice the posts when they come to visit :)

Plant a passionfruit or similar vine at each post!

Looks like the clips are nailed to the post. They may have been nailed to the concrete ir screwed. Either is normal practice.

My suggestion would be to wrap the edge on matching brick. Have the saw the bricks to miter the rounded corners to match.

You are looking for a nice cosmetic fix. Doesn’t look like you have a structural issue.

Good luck.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I meet with the contractor today. This is a very good and reputable contractor, but there was a miscommunication with the crew that did the work and the contractor accepts full responsibility and wants to make me happy. They indicated there is absolutely no structural risk with the location where the load contacts the slab. I believe them and they said they will stand behind it if anything ever happened. They offered to do whatever would make me happy: move the structure, surround posts with stone columns, etc. I do not like the idea of moving a wood structure that has already been assembled, so I opted to do stone columns which will look like the stone columns were installed first and then slab poured around it. This is not being done with faux stone or veneer, but will utilize stone blocks that will not be in direct contact with the post. This is a free standing pergola, not attached to the house, so it did not require a building permit.
This will look nice. Good idea and good luck!

That contractor fouled up some very basic measurements, and the layout is flawed. Placement of the spikes in concrete to hold the posts was fundamental to the finished look.

Ya, looks like they figured the size of the post, but didn't think about the how much the trim would add.

It is probably structurally sound. But it looks shoddy.

The contractor should be willing to come back and put a finished border around the entire patio at his expense......red brick or decorative stone to hide the poor craftsmanship.

I like the idea of building the concrete out with a stone facade, But, putting stone or brick on those rounded corners would not go well, unless the stone or brick was small. They would probably end up making the corners square if the covered it with stone. Then you still have a concrete color match problem.

It seems the simplest, least costly, least time consuming solution is to just move the posts closer together, by 4" or 5" each.

After he's cleaned up his mess, be sure to hammer him with a bad Google review.

I don't like that, it was one error that made it not look good, we don't know if the company has 12 workers and one made the mistake, the other 11 weren't involved. The owner seems to be working with the OP, if he resolves it, that is the desired outcome, if he doesn't, then maybe it is ok to hammer him with a bad Google review. Doing that after the owner makes good on one mistake by one worker, is just jeopardizing other good workers livelihood, A bad review could cost innocent people to get laid off, because the contractor losses jobs he would have got. It could even cause an innocent good worker to lose his own home. Don't just willy nilly make bad reviews, if the contractors makes good.

OP--sounds like you have a good ending planned with the contractor--please come back and post a final picture when it is completed!

OP--sounds like you have a good ending planned with the contractor--please come back and post a final picture when it is completed!

The issue occurred when the original patio dimensions LxW were taken and while they were correct when translated into a construction plan, the plan failed to account for the rounded corners, otherwise the post locations would have been right on if the patio corners were totally square. Mistakes happen even with good contractors, but how the contractor deals with them is what separates good contractors from bad. I was offered either having the pergola moved or build decorative columns to make the overhang less obvious. I opted for the stone columns as I like that look. Here is a pic of the final result and I am delighted how it turned out.

Attachments

• IMG_0154.jpg
    IMG_0154.jpg
    1,015.4 KB · Views: 32
Superb! That's a fantastic resolution.

That does look nice. Great outcome. Did it cost you any additional money? I suspect he at least charged you for materials. Anyway, you ended up looking good!

It really does look great. I was not in favor of this solution but I never noticed the stamped concrete pattern. It matches the look of the stone columns. As you say the response to issues when they inevitably arise says alot about the contractor. I’d rate them even higher based on their response.

Heck yeah!! I like it.

wow, that looks fantastic! Turned an oops into an ahhh :)

Back
Top Bottom