Coping with "What Did I Come Here For?"

I'm with Al. This is a huge benefit of carrying around a cell phone. It's revolutionized the way I shop. I add things to one of several lists (grocery store, dept store, home supply store, on-line, etc.) as I think of them, and pick up everything next time I'm there.

For one-off purchases, I can include part numbers, dimensions, even aisle and bin numbers at Lowe's (from their web site.) I can also make a sketch in a note.

Like Al's "day trip" list, I have a list of "sea bag" items so I won't forget anything when I'm called to go run a boat somewhere on short notice.

You can also list medications, insurance policy numbers, door lock codes, WiFi passwords, etc.

And "to do" lists. I have a bunch of those!

I won't be totally satisfied until I have a USB memory stick port in my skull, so I can store and retrieve this stuff without having to type it in. But this is the next best thing.

Note that this also works:

"Okay Google. Add macadamia nuts to my shopping list."

I was doing some plumbing work yesterday and needed several PVC fittings. I was so proud of myself being able to just look over the project and make mental notes of the 8 different fittings I would need. Then I drove to the plumbing supply store and bought all eight pieces and even a few extras, just in case. I got home and everything worked as I had envisioned it. My engineering mind and memory are still working well I thought to myself. :)

Then I went to put up my tools and the few extra spare parts I had bought for the little project. As I put up the new spare parts, it was then that I realized that I already had all the parts I had originally needed in my spare parts box. :facepalm: Well at least now I know I've got the parts for next time. Seems like forgetting to check my spare parts "first" has happened to me before, more than once.

Last edited:
Most of my life I wished for something that you always have with you that will allow you to add an item to a shopping list the moment you think of it.

With phones and computers and tablets always within reach, we have that. Plus a checklist for leaving the house and a notepad for ideas:

dnHd3ok.png
This is why men need to carry a "man bag" such as an attache case or other purse equivalent. The cell phone, wallet, glasses, kindle (or 3DSXL portable video game console), and keys are all in my purse. And, the thermostat and rain jacket are both right by the door so that's all done sort of automatically when I open the door.

Brushing teeth and so on are part of getting dressed for me. So that about covers your list for leaving the house. Just grab the purse and leave.

So that about covers your list for leaving the house. Just grab the purse and leave.

Ah, but you haven't seen the entire list:

General Day Trip

Kindle
Cell phone
Wallet
Shave
Correct glasses
Rain jacket
Clean car windows
Key
Turn off heat
Brush Teeth
-----------------------------
Coin Purse
Check Shopping List
Comparison parts
Library books and videos
Shopping lists
Snacks
Check DVD Player
BBQ Sauce
Connie & Mike
Ice cubes
Run Roomba
Renew library things
Computer
Computer Glasses
Lena phone
Lena correct glasses
Lena purse
Lena book
Lena knitting​

"Connie and Mike" refer to our travel mugs. The ice cubes go in the mugs so that Starbucks doesn't burn our throats.

Last edited:
Ah, but you haven't seen the entire list:

General Day Trip

Kindle
Cell phone
Wallet
Shave
Correct glasses
Rain jacket
Clean car windows
Key
Turn off heat
Brush Teeth
-----------------------------
Coin Purse
Check Shopping List
Comparison parts
Library books and videos
Shopping lists
Snacks
Check DVD Player
BBQ Sauce
Connie & Mike
Ice cubes
Run Roomba
Renew library things
Computer
Computer Glasses
Lena phone
Lena correct glasses
Lena purse
Lena book
Lena knitting​

"Connie and Mike" refer to our travel mugs. The ice cubes go in the mugs so that Starbucks doesn't burn our throats.

My list: Pants on? Good to go...

(I use Notes on my iphone for grocery and doodoo lists, and various others reminders. I use calendar alerts for appointments at specific times.)

This is why men need to carry a "man bag" such as an attache case or other purse equivalent. The cell phone, wallet, glasses, kindle (or 3DSXL portable video game console), and keys are all in my purse. And, the thermostat and rain jacket are both right by the door so that's all done sort of automatically when I open the door.

Brushing teeth and so on are part of getting dressed for me. So that about covers your list for leaving the house. Just grab the purse and leave.

You forgot the "personal protection device" and "extra projectiles". DW and DD has several purses with a special compartment just for those type of devices, so you do have to fumble through to have instant access.

I’m getting better. Forgot my iPad heading to the lake house the other day, didn’t realize it until I was over 1/2 way there. When I left this morning To come back to the city, I was only 10 minutes up the road before I figured out I left my hat. See, I’m getting better.

Reminds me of a joke I heard recently:

As we age we start thinking more about the hereafter. Every time I walk into a room I ask myself "what am I here after?" :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom