current favorite youtube channel

Currently watching C&Rsenal. Seems to have two primary programs, Primer and Anvil. Primer provides historical context to old firearms, recently small arms of the Great War; Anvil is gunsmithing done on relics. I’m enjoying them both quite a bit.

The democratization of media is the real miracle of the 21st century, imho.

Doug DeMuro - Automotive reviews
Jay Leno's Garage - More automotive stuff from Jay

Samcrac - Rebuilding totaled cars
Don't Walk, Run! - Politics
Team Coco - Conan O Brian, funny

My current favorites:

1. Timcast
2. Joe Rogan
3. New Thinking Allowed
4. The Rubin Report
5. A bunch of low-carb and carnivore channels
6. Greenred Productions
7. Terrence Popp
8. Fox News

Last edited:
"great canal journeys" An octagenarian English couple cruising on canal boats mostly in Europe, but also all over the world. It's a British television show (channel 4 I think) but lots of the content is on YouTube.

Ushanka Show - a Russian immigrant to America who grew up in Ukraine while it was under Soviet rule describes what life was like there under a centrally planned economy, and how it compares to life in America.

My interests vary with time. You never know what you will find on Youtube.

The other day, I watched one guy making vacuum tubes by hand.

Recently, I found an Englishman speaking Russian fluently who ventured into the remote areas of Belarus and Moldova. Quite a different travel video than tourists going to Barcelona, Rome, or Paris.

As far as the Englishman who goes to Eastern Europe that sounds like Bald and Bankrupt. I am a subscriber. I wouldn't be surprised if he has over a million subscribers by the end of the year and quite possibly before then. He is that popular. Mr. Bald has Russian language skills I can only dream about.

Last edited:
NASATV - Sometimes I tweet at the astronauts in the ISS, I think it's neat...sometimes they tweet back :)

ArmedForcesUpdate - Hoorah!
US Military News - Burn n turn

Treadmill TV - What can I say, I like running in exotic locale
BodyRock - For my wellness

KeepYourDayDream - Full Time RV'ers with a few kids and a dog... good family fun

The Sailing Frenchmen - Crazy a$ french dude sailing around the world

Gone with the Wynns - To remind me I don't want to live on a boat full time

and the best for last...
Yachting with the Grandys - My failed attempt at launching my own YT career :flowers:

YT has some strange stuff too, like Farm Girl, and somehow I stumbled across bikini fishing along with 'car thrust reactions'

The most helpful vids are just the lone-ranger DIY's sharing there trades, tips and tricks. I like the vid walkthrough's that have helped me fix my cars, appliances, lanscaping etc.

As far as the Englishman who goes to Eastern Europe that sounds like Bald and Bankrupt. I am a subscriber. I wouldn't be surprised if he has over a million subscribers by the end of the year and quite possibly before then. He is that popular. Mr. Bald has Russian language skills I can only dream about.

He is also fluent in Hindi. In one video, he told of living in India for some years. I did not watch all of his videos, so do not know if he talked about how he acquired the Russian language.

He is also fluent in Hindi. In one video, he told of living in India for some years. I did not watch all of his videos, so do not know if he talked about how he acquired the Russian language.

He once said in one of his videos that he learned the Russian language by living in former Soviet countries. I do not remember which ones or possibly he never said which ones exactly. I know he has had Russian girlfriends that helped him learn the language. Also, he said that he looks up a lot of individual words and adds them to what he already knows.

Mr. Bald has said that he never studied Russian grammar and insists new students of the Russian language do not need Russian grammar. I know he has a hard time reading cursive writing in Russian, but he can read Cyrillic. He is quite an interesting person.

Last edited:
I know he has had Russian girlfriends that helped him learn the language.

Long ago, when I was a submariner in the USN, I served as a liaison officer on a Colombian submarine when we were doing joint exercises. As I was lamenting my Spanish language inadequacy, one of the Colombian officers told me -- "The best way to learn Spanish, or indeed any language, is in the boudoir of a beautiful woman."

Long ago, when I was a submariner in the USN, I served as a liaison officer on a Colombian submarine when we were doing joint exercises. As I was lamenting my Spanish language inadequacy, one of the Colombian officers told me -- "The best way to learn Spanish, or indeed any language, is in the boudoir of a beautiful woman."

I won't argue that!

Well, he did say "the best", not "the most effective"! :)

Hmmm, so many languages, so little time.

OK, many of these countries share a language, it's the best I could do:

https://twentytwowords.com/are-these-the-most-beautiful-women-in-each-country/

-ERD50

I worked with computers using core memory in the late 70s.

I looked briefly at the above AGC videos. I wonder what he will be doing with it. Even after he gets the computer running, what will be the application software to run on it?

This was the goal: https://youtu.be/9iavKBdPo4U?t=749 The whole video is fascinating. In the video, they get more rope memory (ROM) modules that they can read (because they have a working AGC) to see what software has been stored in them for 50+ years. Epic!

Hoovie's Garage. The format is entertainment rather than serious car stuff, this apparently FIREd guy with dough to blow buys old hoopties, land yachts, and some exotic cars too. He fixes some to resell, others he just buys to learn about them and play a bit. My favorite video so far is when he adds nitrous to a Prius. Things really take off! There's also a couple followup vids about what happened.

Last edited:
My wife recently stumbled on the videos by a Chinese girl named Liziqi. Her channel depicts life in rural China, the province of Sichuan. It shows her in daily activities in solitude, without speaking a word.

The photography was excellent, and I suspected that it had sponsorship of the Chinese government to showcase the Chinese customs and culture. Then, I saw some interviews with her, made by other Youtubers, where she claimed to have acted alone initially, and now with two assistants. I have my doubt that she could singlehandedly live such a idyllic life while having to provide herself with all of life necessities, and still have time to make and edit video.

Still, the videos are interesting to watch, and have a soothing effect.

I recently came across this relatively new YouTube channel: Andy & Alex. It was started by this young college student who is a Pink Floyd fan. His first videos were him going track-by-track, album-by-album of early Pink Floyd and commenting on them. Then his friend joined him as a co-host. They both knew virtually nothing about classic rock.

Every week they ask their subscribers and commenters to suggest a new song for them to hear for the first time and comment on (while sipping a little whiskey). And their comments are very insightful (in terms of production, playing, lyrics, etc.). As a baby boomer, I am enjoying very much watching and hearing their reactions, especially on songs I have enjoyed for decades. Like this recent one (which first led me to their channel):

Matt's Off Road Recovery

A guy that owns a towing business in southern Utah and films himself pulling people out of precarious situations using an old, 200,000-mile Jeep Cherokee. The scenery is amazing, and he's very clever at getting people un-stuck.

Matt's Off Road Recovery

A guy that owns a towing business in southern Utah and films himself pulling people out of precarious situations using an old, 200,000-mile Jeep Cherokee. The scenery is amazing, and he's very clever at getting people un-stuck.

+1000 just came here to post that suggestion ..based out of Hurricane Utah....any poster tired of my constant love for Southern Utah should watch at least one of Matt's videos.... this channel hits all the right notes... can be watched by a pre-schooler, I've never heard one cussword.

Matt's Off Road Recovery

YES! I just came across this one and I have been binge watching for days. My favorite is the Prius down the goat trail...

Back
Top Bottom