Customer Service Nightmare Thread

I don’t see what the problem is. You only needed to contact customer service 13 more times and you would have received exactly what you asked for.
lol I am sorry what OP had to go through but can't help thinking about all the extra credits they would have earned from the lack of attention by Walmart's distribution center or the labeling / entry staff.

Last edited:
A picture is worth a thousand words.

This is from a website that is associated with my DW's line of w*rk; it's a chat box for a CSR (actual person) and you can see that she seems to really enjoy her work. DW says that there are lots of complaints about her and I can see why.

DW has been jumping up and down about the picture and that it really should be changed but nothing has been done about it.

Attachments

• CSR.jpg
    CSR.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 62
On the flip side, my nephew has worked in customer call centers for years and has the most amazing stories of stupid, belligerent customers.

I do try not to be one of those, no matter how annoyed I get.

I have a close family member that works as a telephone agent for a VERY large insurer. The rules that they are stuck with are absolutely ridiculous and they dinged very often for "call too long" or being "too friendly" with the customers. Her boss went so far as to say if you aren't able to get them an answer that is correct (and QUICKLY!!!) then they should simply end the call even though they could contact someone else to get the answer but that takes too long. I am not sure how they do it...so many of the calls are terminal patients trying to get things settled before passing yet the insurance company doesn't take any of the "human side" of things into consideration. It's really just sad.

I have a close family member that works as a telephone agent for a VERY large insurer. The rules that they are stuck with are absolutely ridiculous and they dinged very often for "call too long" or being "too friendly" with the customers. Her boss went so far as to say if you aren't able to get them an answer that is correct (and QUICKLY!!!) then they should simply end the call even though they could contact someone else to get the answer but that takes too long. I am not sure how they do it...so many of the calls are terminal patients trying to get things settled before passing yet the insurance company doesn't take any of the "human side" of things into consideration. It's really just sad.
Call center environments are not great places. The management uses draconian tools, and regular public beatings to improve moral.
I remember being part of discussions where the long term industry plan was to utilize rules engines or AI to bring up scripts so every call should get the same answer read by the CSR. The next step would be to eliminate the human.

I remember being part of discussions where the long term industry plan was to utilize rules engines or AI to bring up scripts so every call should get the same answer read by the CSR. The next step would be to eliminate the human.

Which is pretty much what those on-line chat boxes do. Most have useless "bots" behind them and at the very least you have to go through them before a human intervenes.

I'm happy to say that a friend who works for a call center for Medicare beneficiaries has totally different work rules. He deals with many people who are confused, some not that intelligent, who don't understand deductibles or are freaking out at a $100 co-payment because they live on $1,300/month or are dealing with serious health issues, or some combination of the above. He prides himself on de-escalating, calming down, persisting till he finds an answer. Sometimes he puts them at ease by noting where they're from, saying he's been there, etc. or finding other common ground. His manager LOVES how he handles callers. I tell him he's very fortunate.

I used to design call matrixes for the call center at the electric company I worked at. I set it up so the reports would show what type of call each agent answered and the length of call. I then wrote the program so that if the customer was, say calling about an outage, or a new connection, or moving, the call would go to the available agent who was fastest on that type of call. At the end of the report period, the supervisor could review and see that agent X was the fastest on a particular type of call. Supervisor could then monitor those calls, all calls ARE recorded for quality and customer service, and determine what script this agent was using to speed up their progress on those particular types of calls. Then supervisor would have that agent give a training session to the other agents on how to handle that type of call quickly. All very easy to set up and generate reports and supervisor to either live monitor or review past calls.
Prior to this, the only monitoring for agent performance was number of calls per hour. An agent would go available, get a call, hang up, repeat 4 or 5 times or how ever many a smoke break took, then go unvailable for 15 minutes or so. Ha! This program I wrote nailed 'em. I have no idea if they got fired or just 'reeducated', but customer satisfaction surveys improved.

I have discovered that using the CHAT option when contacting for customer service is almost always faster and better results than talking to a live agent. Especially with Amazon. A chat will get the message straight to the point and the agent usually can settle the issue on the spot with either a refund back to card, a 'store credit' for future purchase, a replacement of order with or without a return, etc. I'm so glad I took typing in middle school! 60+wpm is a whole lot easier than trying to understand some accent from half way across the world and with my ears pretty much shot from flight line duty in the Air Force as well as other ear abuse.
I highly recommend using the CHAT option for dealing with customer service.

We try to do business with smaller businesses when we can. We really avoid writing bad reviews but when someone does good we write that up . A small business does not have a million dollars advertising budget and it is people like us who do their advertising .it does matter

I'm reminded of the time, years ago, that my Dish Network receiver wouldn't turn off. Unnecessarily worried, I frantically called customer service. The CSR had to walk through the script written for the barely trained CSRs hired off the street before I could speak to someone knowledgeable. One of the first questions was, "Sir, is it plugged in?" :facepalm: :LOL:

Similar problem with Amazon, where they did not ship the items as described. I discussed the problem with their listing and was assured it would be corrected. I returned it and ordered again with the same result. I again talked to CS about the item either was mis-shipped or the listing was not correct, and I returned it too. I ordered it from another vendor. That was over a year ago. Today the item at Amazon is still misrepresented.

Every company can make mistakes. It is a shame that the CS reps cannot make the necessary corrections in shipping or listings.

I think ev

I have discovered that using the CHAT option when contacting for customer service is almost always faster and better results than talking to a live agent. Especially with Amazon. A chat will get the message straight to the point and the agent usually can settle the issue on the spot with either a refund back to card, a 'store credit' for future purchase, a replacement of order with or without a return, etc. I'm so glad I took typing in middle school! 60+wpm is a whole lot easier than trying to understand some accent from half way across the world and with my ears pretty much shot from flight line duty in the Air Force as well as other ear abuse.
I highly recommend using the CHAT option for dealing with customer service.
It’s pretty clear at Amazon that agents are chatting with several customers at once. There are long delays replying to my typed messages.

Works well though.

Better than their automated return/replace system which can no longer handle many cases like wrong item sent, or item arrived broken and shipper took it back. I’m sorry sir, but that item has a no return policy. It arrived broken leaking out of the box and I refused it! OK we’ll credit your account.

I’ve run into a few scenarios where the item did not match the description or the completely wrong item was sent. They seem to fix it half the time, but the other half they just can’t get the inventory fixed.

Last edited:
I read that Amazon had total turnover of employees during the past year equal to their entire workforce.

Edit: 16-pair insole foot warmers out of stock @wallyworld.
Amazon has a probationary period with its new staff. If one can't keep up , then that person is let go.

I also read recently that Amazon doesn't like to keep workers around too long, lest they grow complacent, or (shudder!) ask for a raise. There doesn't seem to be a career ladder for Amazon employees.

Amazon has a probationary period with its new staff. If one can't keep up , then that person is let go.

I also read recently that Amazon doesn't like to keep workers around too long, lest they grow complacent, or (shudder!) ask for a raise. There doesn't seem to be a career ladder for Amazon employees.
Working in an Amazon factory involves lots of manual labor I can understand if the new worker cannot meet or exceeds standards then it is not a right fit for the company and a reason for high turnover. I've managed staff and terminated some if they cannot pass their 90 day probation.

We have frequent internet outages with CenturyLink so I'm familiar with their phone interface. I love that after I have identified as having no internet service they tell me chat is a faster option.

We have frequent internet outages with CenturyLink so I'm familiar with their phone interface. I love that after I have identified as having no internet service they tell me chat is a faster option.

You could chat on your smart phone, correct?

You could chat on your smart phone, correct?
No. Our cell signal is weak and needs Wi-Fi for reception. ATT used to provide a separate box which worked well qt home but we seldom had service outside our home. Verizon has better service but at home their solution is to use wifi calling which doesn't work without internet.

No. Our cell signal is weak and needs Wi-Fi for reception. ATT used to provide a separate box which worked well qt home but we seldom had service outside our home. Verizon has better service but at home their solution is to use wifi calling which doesn't work without internet.

That's a big bummer....

I have discovered that using the CHAT option when contacting for customer service is almost always faster and better results than talking to a live agent.

I wish that was true for most of the CSR issues I have had as of late. Seems like after 10 minutes on "chat" hold and then 30 minutes of conversation, they tell me I need to call so I can verify who I am. :facepalm:

-Edit...look at that...5,000 posts today and I have been "awarded" the 7 stars. :)

No one should ever suffer the agonies of dealing with Lazboy furniture. After my journey started, I found over 500 BBB complaints and a Facebook group with over 1,000 unhappy customers.

We ordered and received a power recliner. First problem was it was delivered with no remote. Finally got that in mail and husband using Youtube was able to set it up. Second bigger problem was something causing the chair to violently rock when trying to sit or rise up out of the chair. Husband still accepted it since they said a warranty person would fix it. NONONONONO.

First appointment, the technician said there was no problem. Very rude and condescending. Got BBB involved and submitted a video and photos, etc. Got a second appt with person #2 and he confirmed the base was not attached to the chair and had missing screws which had to be ordered. Parts ordered, received and second appointment made.

Third appointment and person #1 said wrong parts were received. Had to order the right ones. "No you cannot make an appointment now but have to wait for the parts and call us." Got the parts and got an appointment. Confirmed the day before and no one showed up. Got the company involved and an appointment set for 3 days later. Confirmed the day before and NO ONE SHOWED UP AGAIN.

Lazyboy must be tired of the issues since they are going to replace the chair. BUT WONT BE HERE UNTIL FEB 2022. Every time I sent info to BBB, Lazyboy via email, and via Facebook.

Note all the appointments were from 45 to 60 days apart and they would not make any sooner.

Whole thing started August 2020 and may not be resolved until FEb. 2022. I seriously doubt the viability of the whole company with what is happening.

There are 2 very popular delis in my town, "P" and "K." I didn't go to P's because after a change in ownership they were always less than friendly. Alas, 2 straight bad experiences with K - the 2nd being food poisoning - I sucked it up and went to P. The owner saw us come in, and was on the phone and no one was behind the counter, although we could hear the workers in the back of the store. We waited a few minutes then told her we'd like some help. She shooed us away 'coz she was on the phone, so we called out to the workers in the back if someone could help us. The owner then started to complain to us about being pushy customers. We, too, walked out and gave a bad review on Yelp. I now drive 7 miles to our new, now-favorite, deli.

Seems like a good spot to open a deli!

Another "service" that is not: OptumRx (United Health Care's mailorder pharmacy).

OptumRx is possibly the most incompetent group I've ever dealt with.

I saw my physician this month and he renewed some prescrriptions - through OptumRx. I got voicemail from OptumRx wanting confirmation that the precriptions were for me. I called them back and entered the reference number; to which they replied that I had no prescriptions on file - the day after calling me for confirmation of a prescription!

I used the physician's online prescription refill request yesterday, with the the one I have the least of to be filled at the closest drugstore and the other one by mail with OptumRx. Today I have two emails: one from the drugstore with "Your Rx is ready"; the other from OptumRx with "Your doctor needs to contact us". Sorry, but a prescription from his office IS contacting you.

I'm not sure the people at OptumRx would recognize "incompetent" and "stupid" might have more syllables than they can process at one time...

I understand that. I feel that when the 1st order was screwed up, & I took the time to report it (in detail) to a Walmart rep, they should've contacted the 3rd party seller. They most certainly should have after it happened a 2nd time & I again reported it in detail.

Apparently, they never even attempted to.

I've had the same kind of thing thing happen with Amazon. Frustrating.
FWIW- From my recent experiences WalMart.com is generally more reliable (and often cheaper) than Amazon these days. And if I have a problem there is a local store with real people to resolve the issue. Amazon just ain't what it used to be.......

I think what we are seeing with Amazon is major HR issues. They offer low-quality, low-paid work with no career path (at least at Walmart or McD, you can become a manager, which looks better on a resume than in real life). And they need tons of such people. And they can't outsource to the third world.

Meanwhile, retail and other low-paid employees have been saying "No, thanks, you can keep your abuse; I'm doing something else (or nothing at all)."

Until Amazon improves its relationship with labor (or manages to automate everything), customer service will keep going downhill.

I've had the same kind of thing thing happen with Amazon. Frustrating.
FWIW- From my recent experiences WalMart.com is generally more reliable (and often cheaper) than Amazon these days. And if I have a problem there is a local store with real people to resolve the issue. Amazon just ain't what it used to be.......

I think what we are seeing with Amazon is major HR issues. They offer low-quality, low-paid work with no career path (at least at Walmart or McD, you can become a manager, which looks better on a resume than in real life). And they need tons of such people. And they can't outsource to the third world.

Meanwhile, retail and other low-paid employees have been saying "No, thanks, you can keep your abuse; I'm doing something else (or nothing at all)."

Until Amazon improves its relationship with labor (or manages to automate everything), customer service will keep going downhill.

It's pretty ironic that Walmart got such bad rap for employee treatment and now the "golden boy" of retail is such a whip cracker. You don't see much complaining in the press about Mr B.

In over a year of Walmart grocery pickup I have never since one employee without a great attitude and saying you have a good day on my way out.

Back
Top Bottom