Dear Abbey says we need help!

GSMAN

Recycles dryer sheets
Wow! I need to update my retirement budget to include "counseling". This was in yesterday's Houston Chronicle. Kind of interesting that people view early retirees as lacking motivation. I thinks it's the inverse. We were motivated all our working lives to live below our means and save in order to retire early. I still plan to contribute to society when I retire next year at 56. Maybe new friends are in order for "Out of Work in Texas".

DEAR ABBY: I am 50, own my home and am debt-free. I have friends but have never dated anyone. This doesn't bother me, although many of my close friends joke with me about being a "50-year-old virgin."
My problem is, four years ago I lost my job. I have a few investments and a small inheritance that, when combined, give me an income of $60,000 a year. So I don't need more money.
Although I did look for another job for two years, I haven't tried for the past two. I tell my friends I've decided to retire. They keep telling me I need to find a job because I need something to keep me busy. I remind them that I have enough money for everything I need.
Friends have started telling me I may have a "problem" and should think about counseling. I see no need for it, but have decided to get an outside opinion. So, Abby, should I see a counselor about my lack of interest in finding a new job? -- OUT OF WORK IN TEXAS

DEAR OUT OF WORK: There are reasons people work besides the financial one. Social stimulation is important, too. I am glad you have the money to support yourself now, but what if something unplanned or catastrophic happens in the future that jeopardizes your nest egg?
Fifty is young to "retire." The counseling you're considering should be used to determine why you lack the motivation to continue being a contributing member of society. (This may be the "problem" your friends are hinting at.)

I saw her response and rolled my eyes. Geez.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Maybe his friends are just being nice about the reason they think he needs counseling. Otherwise, stupid.

I found this hilarious. However, as long as most people have this attitude, my investments will keep humming along.

I found this hilarious. However, as long as most people have this attitude, my investments will keep humming along.

I think Dear Abby is getting her leg pulled. :LOL::LOL:;)

And perhaps there is some low key bragging going on.

heh heh heh - 'take this job and shove it' wasn't the best C&W song ever but I kind of like it - just a little. :greetings10::rolleyes:

Here is a link to the actual column that I tracked down.
Semester Abroad Offers Couple a Chance to Grow, Dear Abby | uexpress

From the photo, I see that this is the same new Dear Abby that runs in the papers up here.

I believe the mistake made here is the suggestion that not working a paid job for an employer implies that someone is not a contributing members of society who lacks motivation and is in need of help.

FWIW, I was quite motivated to track this down.

-gauss

Last edited:
He should have said he is busy contributing to world peace by not causing trouble.

What is Dear Abby's contribution to society? She has one of the most useless jobs around. If giving one's opinion is a job, then I am fully employed.

Last edited:
Me thinks Abby is just rooting for full employment for counselors.

As for retirement not contributing to society, I am all for not contributing. And no I do not not help in figuring out why that is good. It certainly benefits me! Besides I have plenty of motivation for sloth when that feels right as well as plenty of motivation for when things need getting done, or just feel like doing something useful.

I do not see how one can say this 50-year old ER is male or female. Am I missing something or do I have to read between the lines?

Before I ER'd I told a co-worker of my plans. She tried to convince me that I had an obligation to society to work. I was puzzled with her logic. So I am now officially a wart on society, but I am dealing with it.

Umm, I spent all morning working on overhauling my church Web site. Later I'll be making dresses to send to girls in Haiti and tonight I'll be knitting caps for the poor for when it gets cold here. Tomorrow AM I'll be working in our church garden, which provides fresh produce for the local soup kitchen. Thursday I donate blood. Oh, yeah- there are guys knocking out the posts on our screened-in back deck right now, preparing to enclose it. The whole job should keep a couple of guys busy for a week or so.

Yeah, we're warts on society, too!

Me thinks Abby is the wart on this subject. Many of her columns I've seen have clueless responses.

Wally in Dilbert, based on a character type well-known to most workplaces, has a full-time paid position with an employer. His contributions to anything at all are quite unclear.

I rest my case.

not working a paid job for an employer implies that someone is not a contributing members of society who lacks motivation and is in need of help.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do not see how one can say this 50-year old ER is male or female. Am I missing something or do I have to read between the lines?

+1 I also wondered about that.

After reading the first gender referenced post, I re-read the original and thought maybe the "50 year old virgin" might have been the indicator.

Well, I'll admit that not contributing to society did bother me for a while, but with counseling I got over it.:LOL:

Last edited:
If only paid work counts as being a contributing member of society, then by that logic a drug dealer, the CEO behind the $750 AIDS pills and hedge fund managers would all be contributing members of society and a volunteer for Habitat for Humanity or an unemployed artist would not be contributing.

And what is the magic number of 65? So it is okay to not work at 65 but not 50? Some 65 year olds are healthier and more able bodied than some 50 year olds. Why is chronological age such a big a factor? Are we all required to do paid work until we drop or can't turn the hamster wheel any longer?

Last edited:
Kinda reminds me of being in my twenties and chiding a co-worker for buying a new car. He chided me back for banking my money and not "contributing to the economy". So, I asked, "where do you think the bank got the money they loaned you for the car?"

Back
Top Bottom