Decluttering and what I found and what we learn

Breedlove

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
DW and I are selling our city house in Houston and moving to the country . One of the things we are having to do is declutter for many years . Last night going through old boxes there was a small box with my fathers WWII medals . When our father passed the pastor had explained at his service he had 2 Bronze stars and 3 purple hearts . He always talked about the purple hearts and seemed to value them but never talked about the Bronze Stars . We did not know they existed till he passed . He lost his left leg in the Ardens so we never knew him with both legs . Our pastor explained our father had been in 2 major battles to get them , he thought Normandy and the Ardens ..This was not uncommon he said. Now in this box was a soldiers prayer a poem about Flanders Field . There also was a hand written letter from our mother. I feel it was a combination of thoughts from her and my father . The words actually brought tears to my DW and me . The part that really grabbed us was asking us to someday go to Normandy and visit the cemetery and to say respect to the boys that lost their life so we could live a good life . She said our father would appreciate this .

The part that really grabbed us was asking us to someday go to Normandy and visit the cemetery and to say respect to the boys that lost their life so we could live a good life . She said our father would appreciate this .

The opening Normandy Cemetery scene in Saving Private Ryan gets me every time:

This was not uncommon he said. Now in this box was a soldiers prayer a poem about Flanders Field .

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.
- John McCrea

More on the poem "In Flander's Fields." Many people know the poem by heart still today.

The part that really grabbed us was asking us to someday go to Normandy and visit the cemetery and to say respect to the boys that lost their life so we could live a good life . She said our father would appreciate this .

My father hit the beaches of Normandy on D Day, survived and eventually served under Patton whom he loved. I would love to visit Normandy to pay respect to the men who gave the ultimate sacrifice.

The letter you have is priceless. Our fathers generation was the greatest and I thank God they were willing to defend our country.

My grandfather was killed storming the beaches. A hero in my families eyes forever.

If you are unable to get to Normandy to visit; visit Arlington. Many Men & Women there who hit the Normandy beach and other beaches, swamps, or deserts. Stop to see the changing of the guard at the Tomb of the Unknown. A very moving ceremony.
I try to visit my friends there every couple of years-those who I know and those I don't. Hey seems like I need to visit soon.

John McCrae grew up not far from here and the poem is known by memory by many in these parts. It always gives me goosebumps when I hear it. Just as the scene mentioned by REWahoo from 'Saving Private Ryan' does. The first verse of the poem is on the Canadian 10 dollar bill. Poppies are on the $20. Thanks to and remembrance of all those who served.

I had a uncle that was wounded in the South Pacific and paralyzed
from the upper chest down. He had to go to VA hospitals often.
Told me he had made hundred if not thousands of Poppies. I always
buy or donate when I see veterans selling Poppies out of respect to all
veterans.

The American Cemetery In Normandy.

Also, a touching bronze from the town of Etretat, along the English Channel.

Attachments

• IMG_0550C.jpg
    IMG_0550C.jpg
    575.8 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0553.jpg
    IMG_0553.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0558.jpg
    IMG_0558.jpg
    782.8 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0507.jpg
    IMG_0507.jpg