Did You Hear The Explosion ??

Helena

Full time employment: Posting here.
[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica]I live near Dallas.

Sometime after 4am this morning [Jan 27]
a huge bang.. explosion.. woke me up.
eek.gif

Later I called a friend who lives 100 miles
away [near Decatur] and he heard the
same bang at the same time... it woke
him up too !!

Nothing on the news.

There were no storms in the area.

What was it ??
[/FONT]

[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica]I live near Dallas.

Sometime after 4am this morning [Jan 27]
a huge bang.. explosion.. woke me up.
eek.gif

Later I called a friend who lives 100 miles
away [near Decatur] and he heard the
same bang at the same time... it woke
him up too !!

Nothing on the news.

There were no storms in the area.

What was it ??
[/FONT]

Do you think it was a low flying plane breaking the sound barrier?

Dallas is not too far from Stephenville where
those UFOs were sighted.

There was a four car pile up in the dense fog
at 3am this morning... but that was about 5
miles from me... and I looked at the clock...
it was after 4am when I heard the explosion.

Maybe something bigger crashed in the fog ??

Have you called the police department?

No

Several years ago I was sleeping by an open window...
I woke up to an overpowering smell... like from a
meth lab... so I called the police... they said there
was nothing they could do :rant:

Maybe a meth lab blew up ?

The last time I heard an explosion
was that fateful day when I was
watching the SS Columbia pass
overhead... I watched it from
my front yard... then no sooner
had I gone back in the house...
I heard it explode !!

How close do you live to the Air Force Base in Forth Worth (at White Settlement)? They (EOD) may have been detonating some explosives over there, although they don't usually do that at 4 a.m. You mentioned Decatur, lol! I used to have a GF in Decatur. Nice little town that I could consider retiring in or near. I like that area. Also very fond of the Bastrop, TX area where I used to live. Gotta choose before much longer.

How close do you live to the Air Force Base in Forth Worth (at White Settlement)? They (EOD) may have been detonating some explosives over there, although they don't usually do that at 4 a.m. You mentioned Decatur, lol! I used to have a GF in Decatur. Nice little town that I could consider retiring in or near. I like that area. Also very fond of the Bastrop, TX area where I used to live. Gotta choose before much longer.

I live in a suburb east of Dallas, a long way from Ft Worth.
No military bases nearby except a tiny Air National Guard unit.

When I lived in College Station years ago, one morning there was an explosion like that which had us running out in the front yard in our pajamas. It also shook the house and knocked things off shelves, and such. Scared us witless. We thought for sure the gas station on the corner had exploded, and were baffled when we saw no flames or other signs of an explosion. Then we started looking for mushroom clouds over Houston.

It turned out that in Brenham, Texas, many miles away, one of those huge salt domes full of liquified petroleum gas reserves had exploded. We heard it THAT far away!!! Over 40 miles. Luckily there relatively few human casualties though quite a few cows died. (So much for those BlueBell "happy cows"). :(

I don't know if you have any of those up there, but wonder if it could have been something like that.

Edited to add: I found the following description of that explosion. It was in April, 1992.

BRENHAM GAS EXPLOSION

The Brenham gas explosion occurred northwest of Houston in 1992. An underground salt dome storing liquefied petroleum gas had a control room 90 miles away. No automated remote existed to shut the well in. There was no local breathing apparatus at the site and no flare system to burn off escaping gas. The operating company didn't accurately estimate the gas inventory, and a single pressure switch was all that detected back flow out of the well.
The pressure switch had a rated operating range of 160 to 2,000 pounds per square inch (psi), yet the operators had the set point set at 100 psi. Operators reported in their depositions that the switch didn't work half the time they tested it. And they didn't do anything about it. No one detected a back flow out of the well.
A car drove into the gas cloud and ignited it. The blast killed three, injured 23, and caused more than $6.5 million in damages. The explosion had an estimated force of a 3-kiloton bomb—people heard it from 100 miles away. A jury recently awarded $138 million in punitive damages and $5.4 million in compensatory damages. [...]

ISA | Avoid disasters for automation's future

Last edited:
When was the last time you visited Bastrop? We drove through there last month for the first time in a few years. The place seems to have experienced quite a building boom.

Yep, Bastrop has exploded since we left in '96. I was just there a few weeks ago. My wife's family lives mostly in Smithville and that whole area, with one brother in Georgetown. It's hard to believe the sleeply little town that I moved to from Austin in the 80's could grow so fast. There was only one or maybe two stoplights on Hwy 71 then, and I drove to work at Bergstrom AFB with very little traffic. I think if I were moving back to that area, it would more likely be to Smithville or LaGrange, or maybe further east/northeast. LOL, Bastrop may be too big for me now! The main boom seems to have started when the Air Force base closed down and the city of Austin turned it into their new airport.

Back
Top Bottom