Don't have to rotate your tires?

Is this kinda like the earlier thread saying full oil changes were are now a thing of the past?:D

I’ve watched him a few times, he’s big on shouting and taking a contrarian POV. Some of his mechanic skills are out of date.

I’ve had some cars where tires seemed to wear evenly, others where fronts and backs definitely didn’t. I rotate every 10-15K if necessary, every 5K as some recommend has never been necessary IME. Tire warranties are worthless, so there’s not much benefit to keeping tire wear perfectly even.

I didn't watch the video but can tell you that you may void your tire manufacturer warranty if you fail to do so (rotate). Once upon a time, I used to sell tires and the only exception to the rotation rule was if your vehicle had a 50/50 weight distribution front to back, rotation was not as important (but, could still void your warranty).

Calm down everyone, your tires rotate naturally every time you are driving. That's what makes the car go forward.

Rotation works for me . I think I will stay with it . Years ago my father had a new car with Firestone 500 tires , the car salesman told him those tires never rotated . Three out of four blew out. Of course Firestone 500 tires were junk.

Actually I buy new tires so often these days that I just don't worry about rotating them anymore. My tires and brakes are changed well before most folks would be thinking about it. Maybe I should post this in the BTD thread.

Actually I buy new tires so often these days that I just don't worry about rotating them anymore. My tires and brakes are changed well before most folks would be thinking about it. Maybe I should post this in the BTD thread.

So, you change tires before they look like racing slicks? :D

If you include the spare in your new tire purchase, you definitely want to rotate that in.

wH5U29SlJtM48AAAAASUVORK5CYII=

^^^^
Compact or temporary use spares excluded of course, which many cars use today. But I'm sure (or hope) folks know that.

Last edited:
^^^^
Compact or temporary use spares excluded of course, which many cars use today. But I'm sure (or hope) folks know that.

Both of our vehicles are off-road capable. I would not want to limp back to pavement on a mini-spare. :)

I agree but even my newest 2023 RAM 4X4 came with a temporary use spare. It's a full size spare but the design (el cheap-o) is for emergency/temporary use only.

Last edited:
I didn't watch the video but can tell you that you may void your tire manufacturer warranty if you fail to do so (rotate). Once upon a time, I used to sell tires and the only exception to the rotation rule was if your vehicle had a 50/50 weight distribution front to back, rotation was not as important (but, could still void your warranty).
Tire warranties aren’t worth the (digital) paper they’re written on especially when it comes to wear. Rotating will not help - unless you plan to wear all 4 tires down to 2/32” - which is unsafe. If you manage to accomplish that (almost impossible), your reward will be a trivial amount pro-rated. Rotating benefits the owner by extending the collective life of your four tires, but the warranty is useless.

Moreover, if the tire doesn’t live up to the wear promise, you may find that the so-called warranty imposes so many restrictions and conditions that it’s nearly impossible to collect on. It may even be pointless to try, although a diligent and truly determined consumer can sometimes manage it.

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/tires/why-tread-life-warranties-are-next-to-useless.html

Last edited:
I’ve watched him a few times, he’s big on shouting and taking a contrarian POV. Some of his mechanic skills are out of date.

Yes, he's quite annoying and outright wrong about a lot of stuff. One of the few YouTube personalities I will never watch.

I rotate my tires every time I change the oil...

As for warranty I will say people are wrong... you can get something...

I bought some Michelin times a long time ago... were 60K times and I got about 35K out of them... I got about 30% off of my next set... but still had to pay all the costs of mounting and balance...

On my current car my tires wore down to 3 and 4 32nd... at 18K miles... the tires are warrantied for 40K if bought... but there were OE tires... again, Michelin tires... called and complained and got 50% discount on a new set but had to buy a Michelin brand... bought BF Goodrich... saved $400...

Tires are an unnecessary annoyance.
car-wheels-sparks-dark-night-black-coming-out-93295703.jpg

I always forget to rotate tires on the minivan so end up buying a pair at a time.

Then they get rotated since new tires always go on the back.

I Have never rotated my tires. How would you know if some alignment or suspension is out of wack? Tires are good indicators. Rotating just hides the visual clues.

Tire warranties aren’t worth the (digital) paper they’re written on especially when it comes to wear....
I've actually collected substantial credits for a new set of tires under warranties from Costco/Michelin over the past 5 years.

In each case an allegedly 60,000 mile tire that was kaput after 20,000 miles. In the first case the Costco guy talked me into another set of the same Michelin tires, the second time, at a different Costco store, the guy said 'Yeah, we've have a lot of adjustments of those" and I went with a different brand.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom