Don't have to rotate your tires?

I have always (and will continue to) rotate, and balance, my tires every 5-7k miles. Every new tire comes with a manufacturer's mileage rating. If you purchase a 60k mile tire and it wears out at 30k miles, you should be prorated 1/2 of what you paid for that tire to replace it. If that is not what is happening, you need to shop for tires someplace else. Now, with that being said, if you never rotated or balanced those tires during the 30k miles you had them on your car, not sure how you can claim it was the manufacturer's fault they wore out at 1/2 of their mileage rating.

Mike

I Have never rotated my tires. How would you know if some alignment or suspension is out of wack? Tires are good indicators. Rotating just hides the visual clues.

Is this a joke?

Alignment problems can also cause your tires to wear unevenly. Along with scheduled tire rotations/balancing, you should also get an alignment check at least annually.

Mike

I was told by Costco that beyond certain miles they also want to see alignment records for warranty claims. I don’t know if that’s a Costco requirement or the tire manufacturer, which was Michelin in my case.

I have dedicated winter tires and mark them when I swap for the seasons. Then they are rotated when put back on.

If I didn't have winter tires I'd still rotate them...I have a floor jack and an impact wrench, it only takes 20 minutes.

It's one thing to rotate tires on a small to mid size car "by yourself" but another thing altogether on full size performance cars and even more so on full sized pickups. Big tires and wheels easily weight in at 80+ lbs each on bigger vehicles and some top 100lbs. Easy enough to get them off and roll them around the vehicle but it can be challenging aligning them with the studs and mounting them back on the vehicle. I've learned a few tricks that make it easier rather than the brute force method. It didn't matter so much when I was younger but these days I'm always looking for smarter ways to do such things. :) A good pry bar and various sizes of flat pieces of wood works wonders. They even make special tools for lifting/aligning the tire/wheel combos if you want to get fancy.

Last edited:
I have studded snows on rims for 2 rigs. I cannot resist a good deal on CL. :)
I put them on the truck each winter for sure so the truck gets crayon marked and rotated when the summer tires go back on.
DW's car we will let the dealer rotate at the next oil change. It also has a spare set of wheels and tires out in the shed, some 17's to go on when these 19's wear down.
There is much to be said by letting a tire do some of the ride work, and those 17's should be a bit nicer.

Last edited:
I've actually collected substantial credits for a new set of tires under warranties from Costco/Michelin over the past 5 years.

In each case an allegedly 60,000 mile tire that was kaput after 20,000 miles. In the first case the Costco guy talked me into another set of the same Michelin tires, the second time, at a different Costco store, the guy said 'Yeah, we've have a lot of adjustments of those" and I went with a different brand.

LOL, my 2 tires that had low tread compared to their warranty were Michelin.... I do not think they make great tires like I hear all the time... well, at least good if you consider mileage...

I have always (and will continue to) rotate, and balance, my tires every 5-7k miles. Every new tire comes with a manufacturer's mileage rating. If you purchase a 60k mile tire and it wears out at 30k miles, you should be prorated 1/2 of what you paid for that tire to replace it. If that is not what is happening, you need to shop for tires someplace else. Now, with that being said, if you never rotated or balanced those tires during the 30k miles you had them on your car, not sure how you can claim it was the manufacturer's fault they wore out at 1/2 of their mileage rating.

Mike

Wrong on your first statement.... not all tires come with a mileage warranty... I use discount tire but you can also look up in tire rack...

As far as I know all have a manufacturer defect warranty...

It's one thing to rotate tires on a small to mid size car "by yourself" but another thing altogether on full size performance cars and even more so on full sized pickups. Big tires and wheels easily weight in at 80+ lbs each on bigger vehicles and some top 100lbs. Easy enough to get them off and roll them around the vehicle but it can be challenging aligning them with the studs and mounting them back on the vehicle. I've learned a few tricks that make it easier rather than the brute force method. It didn't matter so much when I was younger but these days I'm always looking for smarter ways to do such things. :) A good pry bar and various sizes of flat pieces of wood works wonders. They even make special tools for lifting/aligning the tire/wheel combos if you want to get fancy.

Wow... discount tire (and I believe they are called American tire other places) do free rotation and balance for the life of tires bought there...

They also do free rotations on our new cars before we even buy new tires...

^^^^^^
Probably would use them if (1) my tires needed it and (2) I didn't need to wait for an ~hour once I got there and (3) it wasn't a 2+ hour round trip to their nearest store.

Last edited:
I rotate my tires every time I change the oil...

As for warranty I will say people are wrong... you can get something...

I bought some Michelin times a long time ago... were 60K times and I got about 35K out of them... I got about 30% off of my next set... but still had to pay all the costs of mounting and balance...

On my current car my tires wore down to 3 and 4 32nd... at 18K miles... the tires are warrantied for 40K if bought... but there were OE tires... again, Michelin tires... called and complained and got 50% discount on a new set but had to buy a Michelin brand... bought BF Goodrich... saved $400...

Yep, I used to go with Michelins, but found I never got near the rated mileage, then I had a problem (can't recall what) I expected they should and would take care of it, they didn't. I have never bought a Michelin since. Don't expect I ever will, although my local tire dealer said, they have fixed their low mileage problem. Ya, maybe.

Yes, he's quite annoying and outright wrong about a lot of stuff. One of the few YouTube personalities I will never watch.

I didn't watch the video but once I read what you wrote I instantly knew who you were talking about.

Yep, I used to go with Michelins, but found I never got near the rated mileage, then I had a problem (can't recall what) I expected they should and would take care of it, they didn't. I have never bought a Michelin since. Don't expect I ever will, although my local tire dealer said, they have fixed their low mileage problem. Ya, maybe.

Since my last mileage problem with Michelin were OE on a 2018 car I do not think they have changed... it is not worth me trying them again in my lifetime... I will see if the BF Goodrich last... they did force me to buy one of their brands...

Just like I will never buy a Ford again... no matter what they do... I paid a lot of money fixing their bad design on a few cars... one problem they knew about but hid it from even the service depts... it came out in the lawsuit.. and OH WOW... I got a coupon for $500 off when I bought a new Ford... yea, that is compensation that I want... NOT.. :facepalm:

Back
Top Bottom