E-bike

aaronc879

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I know there was an E-bike thread a couple years ago but I think with the increased popularity and with Spring here or approaching depending on where you live I think it's time for a new thread. I am looking for an e-bike to buy this Spring. I need something big enough for me, I am 6'6". I would like to stay under $2500. Has anyone bought an e-bike in the last year that you would recommend for others to buy? Anything to watch out for, things to avoid?

It depends on the type of riding you're going to do and also whether you need support of a local bike shop or can do your own assembly and work. Your post doesn't give any indication of either of those things.

I bought a Ride1Up 700 series a year ago, assembled and support it myself, and have been happy with it. I use it for exercise, and I like the customization of the assist levels where you can choose the number of levels as well as adjust the power on each level so it assists just as much I like. It's under $2000. If I wanted to get one at a bike shop, I would probably lean toward a new 2022 Specialized Vado, but that's going to be over $3000. But, some local bike shops sell Aventon or other lower priced models instead of just the big names like Trek, Specialized, and Giant.

I can't speak to the fit for the height. Inseam is a factor also. Some bikes offer different frame sizes for a given model, like Aventon. Ride1Up does not.

Last edited:
It depends on the type of riding you're going to do and also whether you need support of a local bike shop or can do your own assembly and work. Your post doesn't give any indication of either of those things.

I bought a Ride1Up 700 series a year ago, assembled and support it myself, and have been happy with it. I use it for exercise, and I like the customization of the assist levels where you can choose the number of levels as well as adjust the power on each level so it assists just as much I like. It's under $2000. If I wanted to get one at a bike shop, I would probably lean toward a new 2022 Specialized Vado, but that's going to be over $3000. But, some local bike shops sell Aventon or other lower priced models instead of just the big names like Trek, Specialized, and Giant.

I can't speak to the fit for the height. Inseam is a factor also. Some bikes offer different frame sizes for a given model, like Aventon. Ride1Up does not.

I would be riding around a 50/50 mix of pavement and hard packed dirt/gravel trails. I would like to order online rather than a shop since the price is lower. I would attempt to assemble myself but would take it to a shop to check my work or just have them do it. I would not do much maintenance myself.

I think I eliminated that one due to the max seat height of 40". I would prefer around 43". Maybe I could just buy an after-market seat post that is longer than stock?

Last edited:
Having bought many bikes in my lifetime, buy from the local shop. You’ll likely get enough free swag at purchase, a good fitting (bikes are sized and it really matters) and free maintenance over time to more than make up for the cost difference. You’ll likely save hours screwing around assembling and dialing it in. The internet doesn’t care, the local guy probably does.

I'm looking at converting my existing bike. It's a reasonably good bike... Specialized with hydraulic disk brakes. It's 8-9 years old and I've done all cleaning, adjustments, and maintenance myself.

Tentative plan is to install a mid-mount Bafang BBS02 750W motor and a 48V 13Ah battery. Plus all the add-ons like a nice color display, brake and gear shift sensors, etc.

Cost looks to be around $800 on Amazon or a bit lower on AliExpress. Maybe a bit higher if I go with a name brand battery.

Anyway, I've been watching YouTube videos like crazy. And I'm convinced I can do this. Main thing is... I don't want a "new bike." I like this bike. A lot. I just want some help with hills and headwinds... and range, from time to time. And from what I gather, my converted bike will have significantly more power than the typical off-the-shelf, sub-$2K eBike.

Just something to think about if you're DIY-inclined.

Last edited:
I'm looking at converting my existing bike. It's a reasonably good bike... Specialized with hydraulic disk brakes. It's 8-9 years old and I've done all cleaning, adjustments, and maintenance myself.

Tentative plan is to install a mid-mount Bafang BBS02 750W motor and a 48V 13Ah battery. Plus all the add-ons like a nice color display, brake and gear shift sensors, etc.

Cost looks to be around $800 on Amazon or a bit lower on AliExpress. Maybe a bit higher if I go with a name brand battery.

Anyway, I've been watching YouTube videos like crazy. And I'm convinced I can do this. Main thing is... I don't want a "new bike." I like this bike. A lot. I just want some help with hills and headwinds... and range, from time to time. And from what I gather, my converted bike will have significantly more power than the typical off-the-shelf, sub-$2K eBike.

I really not at all DIY-inclined but if you are then go for it. Definitely will save some money.

I really not at all DIY-inclined but if you are then go for it. Definitely will save some money.

For me, it's not so much about the money. It's about taking my existing, reasonably good bike, that I like a lot... and turning it into an awesome eBike.

Even if you're not DIY-inclined, there are shops all over the country who will do the conversion for around $350 labor. So for $1150-ish parts and labor, you can transform your existing bike into an eBike that will outperform a lot of VERY expensive off-the-shelf options.

Just something for people to think about in this whole eBike discussion.

DW and I got Ride1Up 500XR's about a year ago and already have logged over 3,000 miles. I cannot really speak to their customer support because we've had zero problems and have not needed any help. Good bikes.

I just ordered my Lectric xp 2.0 after alot of research. It has everything I wanted in an ebike and is the only one in the $1000 range that I could find with feature sets and build quality I wanted. After hours of research I found this bike and the lowest model from the Rad line at $1300 that were my two finalists. This bike comes fully assembled. Comes set as a class 2 ebike with a max speed of 20 mphs which you can unlock to a class 3 28 mphs with a few clicks on the screen. I could have gotten alot more bike for two to three thousand but for my first ebike this ticked the important boxes for me. I will report back when I get some miles on the tires.

Here is a short list of what I was looking for.

Around $1000
Proper suspension
Pannier rack for saddle bags (supports 78lbs)
Wide tires (these are 3")
Peddle assist and throttle only options
Above 20 miles range with pedal assist
Must fit a 6'3 250lb human

I just received 2 Heybike Cityscapes at 829.00 each from NewEgg. I am in Florida Snowbirding and the bikes arrived in Illinois this week. I am heading home April 1st and will do the minor assembly and start testing/riding with my SO. These will be the first bikes for both of us in a long time, but I am hopeful they will get SO out of the house more and give us both some exercise and great memories. I will try to give a honest report of how they operate for us.

VW

I would be riding around a 50/50 mix of pavement and hard packed dirt/gravel trails. I would like to order online rather than a shop since the price is lower. I would attempt to assemble myself but would take it to a shop to check my work or just have them do it. I would not do much maintenance myself.

I think I eliminated that one due to the max seat height of 40". I would prefer around 43". Maybe I could just buy an after-market seat post that is longer than stock?

Yes, some people do. I'm about 6' and have a 32" inseam and am good with the 350mm seat post. Some taller people have added stem extensions to raise their handlebars further than they otherwise could. I just pivot mine up a little with the included adjustable range. There's a Facebook group for Ride1Up users where people get answers to questions. Even the owner of Ride1Up posts on there. The EBR forum is another good one to ask about any e-bike.

I bought my 700 XR last year for under $1500 before the price increases. They do have some lower cost models and some that are on sale right now.

I just received 2 Heybike Cityscapes at 829.00 each from NewEgg. I am in Florida Snowbirding and the bikes arrived in Illinois this week. I am heading home April 1st and will do the minor assembly and start testing/riding with my SO. These will be the first bikes for both of us in a long time, but I am hopeful they will get SO out of the house more and give us both some exercise and great memories. I will try to give a honest report of how they operate for us.

VW

Be careful if you haven’t been riding much. E-bikes make it possible for riders to move faster than their riding capabilities.

As part of my summer gig, I accompany groups on multiple day rides on a rail trail. Most of the crashes I’ve seen have been e-bike riders. They are typically people who rarely ride, so they rent or buy an e-bike for the trip to make it possible to keep up with the group. The e-assist gives them speed but not the bike skills. They’ll be tooling along and suddenly hit a rough patch or some mud, and they oversteer or lose their balance and BOOM! down they go. On a trip last year we had seven out of eight riders on e-bikes. Four of them crashed (one at a time).

Conversely, if one logs enough miles in the saddle to build the fitness to ride faster, they have also developed their riding skills and balance to match the increased speed.

.......... E-bikes make it possible for riders to move faster than their riding capabilities.........
Sounds like people in 4x4s on the first slippery day of the year.

Be careful if you haven’t been riding much. E-bikes make it possible for riders to move faster than their riding capabilities.

I'm not looking to be able to go any faster than normal. I have issues following a total hip replacement and I want to be able to get an assist going up hills and I want to have a throttle incase I have a major problem where I can't peddle at all while several miles away from home. I have no desire to go 20mph all the time. This would be for exercise and recreational purposes so I have no reason to be in a hurry while biking.

Since you're in Wisconsin, you might want to check out Crazy TV Lennie's e-bike shop in Madison.

Since you're in Wisconsin, you might want to check out Crazy TV Lennie's e-bike shop in Madison.

Hadn't heard of that place before. Looks like they have a lot of bikes but they don't give much info on the website. Not sure I want to drive 2 hours without knowing they have something that works for me. I'll keep them in mind if I happen to be in Madison though. Thanks

This is what I did 8 years ago. Today it is a very different ebike world but Bafang appears to still be the favorite for conversions.
As you do now, I loved my Trek bike so I wanted to convert it. I knew it was better than the current ebikes on the market, better bike, motor and battery than you got on most ebikes for more money. Bafang is a great motor, mine came with a Samsung 750 battery. I've been very happy with my conversion. The long life battery is one of the greatest features. You can get more infomation about conversions on endless-sphere, do you know that forum?

As part of my summer gig, I accompany groups on multiple day rides on a rail trail. Most of the crashes I’ve seen have been e-bike riders. They are typically people who rarely ride, so they rent or buy an e-bike for the trip to make it possible to keep up with the group. The e-assist gives them speed but not the bike skills. They’ll be tooling along and suddenly hit a rough patch or some mud, and they oversteer or lose their balance and BOOM! down they go. On a trip last year we had seven out of eight riders on e-bikes. Four of them crashed (one at a time).

Conversely, if one logs enough miles in the saddle to build the fitness to ride faster, they have also developed their riding skills and balance to match the increased speed.

Thanks for the tip!!

...I loved my Trek bike so I wanted to convert it. I knew it was better than the current ebikes on the market, better bike, motor and battery than you got on most ebikes for more money...

My thoughts exactly. My current bike is certainly not the "end-all" of bikes. But it's a good bike and it fits me well. I know it well. I've meticulously maintained it for 8 years. I don't want a new bike. Plus, a 750W mid-mount conversion will result in better performance than many eBikes at 3-4X the cost. I'm comfortable doing it myself. So it seems like a really good solution all around.

...You can get more infomation about conversions on endless-sphere, do you know that forum?

No, I haven't heard of that forum. But I'll definitely check it out. Thanks.

DH and I bought Rad bikes. 2 different models after testing them locally. Assembly was easy and took less than 1 hour. We also tried Lectric when we were visiting Arizona. Although the Lectric is cheaper and comes with perks we had to add on to our Rad bikes we felt they were awkward with a poor turning radius. Our bikes were around 1500 each and we really enjoy them.

We peddle and use assist as needed. We privately have a term for those who sit and just motor about. Usually larger teen boys in our area.

My ex bought a Pedego sweet looking bike he loves but at 3500 I like our Rad bikes.

Has anyone tried an e-bike with a twist throttle instead of the thumb throttle? One of my final three choices has a twist throttle, the other two have thumb. It's called a KBO Breeze. It seems better for taller people than the Ride1up 700 series which is also in my top 3 but concerning due to my height. The other one is a Juiced Crosscurrent X. I like that last one because it has a huge battery so I know I will be able to do the 55-60 mile ride I want to do several times per year. The other two I may have to pedal with no assist early on the ride when it's flat and on pavement in order to be sure I don't go on empty before I get to the big hill 3-4 miles before I get home. Really undecided. I wish I could combine the 3 into the perfect bike. I would order the Ride1up 700 series right now if I could be sure it's big enough for me. I could get an extra battery to swap out on my big ride and it would still be less expensive than the Juiced Crosscurrent X. Decisions, decisions.

DW and I got Ride1Up 500XR's about a year ago and already have logged over 3,000 miles. I cannot really speak to their customer support because we've had zero problems and have not needed any help. Good bikes.

How tall are you? Do you think the bike would work for someone who is around 6'5" or 6'6"?

How tall are you? Do you think the bike would work for someone who is around 6'5" or 6'6"?

DW and I are both 5"11". The 500XR is more suited for taller people. My son is 6"2" and is comfortable. Check your area for e-bike rentals where you can sit on various bikes and get a good idea.

I know there was an E-bike thread a couple years ago but I think with the increased popularity and with Spring here or approaching depending on where you live I think it's time for a new thread. I am looking for an e-bike to buy this Spring. I need something big enough for me, I am 6'6". I would like to stay under $2500. Has anyone bought an e-bike in the last year that you would recommend for others to buy? Anything to watch out for, things to avoid?

Just a suggestion to look out for other vehicles - I'm sure you already know that. We have recently installed miles of bike lanes (including downtown full lanes taken from major streets.) Even so, car/bike interactions are not uncommon. We just lost a 13 year old on Sunday (the child's "fault" it would appear.) No matter who's fault, the bike usually comes out in 2nd place. I wonder if the e-factor adds any safety issues since some e-bikes can do 30 mph. Just be careful out there!:flowers:

Curious, an e-bike could be useful for me but bicycle theft is incredibly high here so using an expensive e-bike for transportation concerns me as I would have to lock it up in unknown areas. Do the bikes typically have any integrated security (locking hubs so they can't be rolled away quickly, integrated alarms or tracking technologies)? Although I'd like a nicer road bike, I ride a Walmart special now (would be mad if stolen but less mad and I'm also not the nicest bike at the rack so less likely to be targeted) but an e-bike would increase my radius, especially in the heat and humidity of summer.

How do you e-bike riders secure your bike in an urban environment?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom