E-bike

...How do you e-bike riders secure your bike in an urban environment?

I've never ridden mine in an urban environment. It has never left my sight. But I'm thinking about taking it to the store for a few groceries. I've seen several locks that would work great for e-bikes if left unattended for a few minutes. I wouldn't to leave it unattended for an hour in an urban setting even with a lock on it.

There are some good bicycle locks available. Kryptonite is a popular brand, but there are many others. The drawback is that better security means heavier (think several pounds).

But I think also this would be a great use for an Apple AirTag or a Tile or another similar tracking device. There should be a way to secure one of them in a non-obvious location. Tracking it would be easy for the police if it got stolen.

^^ I was thinking about putting an airtag in mine. Up the front fork, under the seat, or maybe in the battery compartment if there's room.

I purchased a new on after much research and test rides.

Most ebikes have a weight capacity of 275 lbs. I found one with a capacity of 425lbs. It is built much stronger and because you are 6'6'', it is worth looking at.

The brand is Biktrix. I purchased their Juggernaught XD with crank, not hub, motor for $2500. I am very, very pleased. I purchased it with the narrower tires that makes it good for trails and road.

Most ebikes are made in China. You should check out their sight and independent reviews. They are in Canada but it is free shipping. Good luck!

https://youtu.be/utomGPhVO0g

Biking is one of the outdoor activities i really enjoy. 3 years ago I purchased 2 Radrover bikes for about $2900 for both. These are fat tire bikes suitable for street or trail riding. Shipping was free and I took them to a local bike shop for assembly ($75 per bike).

The batteries are good for about 30+ miles of trail riding longer for road biking. I've added accessories including fenders, racks a suspention seat and post to each bike. I ended up buying 2 more bikes with accessories and purchased 4 additional batteries. Have about 1500 to 2000 miles on each bike with a lot of heavy rugged riding. Never had an issue with any of the bikes that i couldn't fix or adjust by myself..
My 3 sons and daughter love these, as well as biking buddies.

One of my favorite rides is the 100 mile White Rim loop through Canyonlands. We do it once or twice a year staying in primitive campgrounds in the park. Got a trip in about 3 weeks. One reason I got the extra batteries. Many trails now allow e-bikes. Enjoy!

Curious, an e-bike could be useful for me but bicycle theft is incredibly high here so using an expensive e-bike for transportation concerns me as I would have to lock it up in unknown areas. Do the bikes typically have any integrated security (locking hubs so they can't be rolled away quickly, integrated alarms or tracking technologies)? Although I'd like a nicer road bike, I ride a Walmart special now (would be mad if stolen but less mad and I'm also not the nicest bike at the rack so less likely to be targeted) but an e-bike would increase my radius, especially in the heat and humidity of summer.

How do you e-bike riders secure your bike in an urban environment?

I use a multiple method approach to security for my ebike. I have an airtag hidden on the frame. I have a large U-lock with a cable that if used properly will make your bike less attractive to thieves, and finally I have a bike alarm that is armed with a remote that is vibration sensitive.

Since I have recently done the research on ebike security I will tell you that no lock is undefeatable by a determined thief. Even the kryptonite locks can be cut. Check out the lockpicking lawyer if you are in doubt of this. The goal is to make your fancy ebike the least attractive target of the group through a series of deterrents.

I hope this helps a bit. Best of luck.

I use a multiple method approach to security for my ebike. I have an airtag hidden on the frame. I have a large U-lock with a cable that if used properly will make your bike less attractive to thieves, and finally I have a bike alarm that is armed with a remote that is vibration sensitive.

Since I have recently done the research on ebike security I will tell you that no lock is undefeatable by a determined thief. Even the kryptonite locks can be cut. Check out the lockpicking lawyer if you are in doubt of this. The goal is to make your fancy ebike the least attractive target of the group through a series of deterrents.

I hope this helps a bit. Best of luck.

I am a fan of the LPL! I rarely see any eBikes locked up but a lot being ridden (about 35% recklessly IMO). My current strategy is to ride my relative crappy bike and lock it in busy areas with line-of-sight (mostly I walk if I'm going to be hanging out). Until I upgrade my phone, no airtags for me but I will get one as soon as I upgrade in several years. If I invest in an expensive bike I will do basically what you do... same as home security have multiple layers.

I'd really like the city to put bicycle parking in the garages..... nominal charge paid electronically (CC, Debit, Paypal, etc) ($1), have video surveillance, and possibly fingerprint to enter/exit (to help establish ID if there is an incident and the payment method was fraudulent). Wouldn't cost too much to set up and give a pretty secure option to residents.

I second the other cautions regarding e bike riding. Not only speed & handling but also braking capabilities- especially for heavier bikes/riders. Brakes that stop 180# of bike +rider may not work so well for 250+#. I would try to test ride any unit you consider buying.

FWIW- a number of medical articles have noted an increasing number of e bike related industries in the past few years.

Be safe out there!

We are a year and close to 3k miles into a pair of Rad Power Bikes Radrover fat tire model. I see they are selling a model "6"but we have the "5" and are quite happy with it. As for locking it up at destinations, its hardly urban around here in Scottsdale, if i was in NYC i think i would be hardening everything to not be stripped of of it if the cable lock manages to be strong enough. Keep in mind a boon to those stealing catalytic converters or chained up bicycles have been the rechargeable cutoff wheel/angle grinder.. i dont know of any locks that can withstand a few minutes with a fresh battery/cutting disk.

I purchased a new on after much research and test rides.

Most ebikes have a weight capacity of 275 lbs. I found one with a capacity of 425lbs. It is built much stronger and because you are 6'6'', it is worth looking at.

The brand is Biktrix. I purchased their Juggernaught XD with crank, not hub, motor for $2500. I am very, very pleased. I purchased it with the narrower tires that makes it good for trails and road.

Most ebikes are made in China. You should check out their sight and independent reviews. They are in Canada but it is free shipping. Good luck!

https://youtu.be/utomGPhVO0g

That seems like a bit more bike than I need and costs more because of it. It isn't any bigger to accommodate my height. I don't need a bike that is extra strong to allow more weight since I am under 200 pounds. Thanks for the idea though.

Curious, an e-bike could be useful for me but bicycle theft is incredibly high here so using an expensive e-bike for transportation concerns me as I would have to lock it up in unknown areas. Do the bikes typically have any integrated security (locking hubs so they can't be rolled away quickly, integrated alarms or tracking technologies)? Although I'd like a nicer road bike, I ride a Walmart special now (would be mad if stolen but less mad and I'm also not the nicest bike at the rack so less likely to be targeted) but an e-bike would increase my radius, especially in the heat and humidity of summer.

How do you e-bike riders secure your bike in an urban environment?

It's not possible here (maybe take them inside your house.) Thieves will cut through chains or even bike racks to get an expensive bike. Mopeds also regularly disappear. You wouldn't think bike, scooter, moped or even car theft would be big on an Island, but you would be wrong. Only way to prevent it is to drive something no one wants bad enough to steal. YMMV

One thing to keep in mind about eBikes is that many locales in the Western US are banning their use in forested areas. Not sure about Eastern US. Most western states have banned them on public lands. I know ... sure, they're banned, but who is going to police that? I can tell you that some friends of mine were ticketed in Oregon last fall, and the tickets were enforced, and not cheap. eBikes can cause fires.

I just placed an order for a KBO Breeze. $1424 after the $75 Spring discount and that includes tax and free shipping. I strongly considered the Ride1up 700 XR but with a price of $1695 plus tax it didn't seem like the better choice.

aaronc879--hope you get many miles of pleasure from your ebike!

aaronc879--hope you get many miles of pleasure from your ebike!

Yes and watch out for us motorists. Honestly, we don't see you as we should. Yes, our bad, our fault but you might pay the penalty for our one moment's inattention. Be safe! We want you to keep posting.

I just placed an order for a KBO Breeze. $1424 after the $75 Spring discount and that includes tax and free shipping. I strongly considered the Ride1up 700 XR but with a price of $1695 plus tax it didn't seem like the better choice.

Good luck with the bike. I was lucky to buy my Ride1Up 700 XR 13 months ago for $1465 out the door with the pledge discount. After the tariffs were implemented, they raised the price twice.

Last edited:
Good luck with the bike. I was lucky to buy my Ride1Up 700 XR 13 months ago for $1465 out the door with the pledge discount. After the tariffs were implemented, they raised the price trice.

Hmm. I searched for a coupon code for the 700 XR and didn't find any. Oh well, the $40 off for the pledge wouldn't have changed my decision. If it was still $1465 I would have gotten it over the $1424 KBO.... I think.

I recently purchased 2 e-bikes. Because of the shipping costs it was actually less expensive to purchase from a bike shop. I was also able to find it in stock and purchase same day.

I recently purchased 2 e-bikes. Because of the shipping costs it was actually less expensive to purchase from a bike shop. I was also able to find it in stock and purchase same day.

That's odd. Far from my experience. Shops that carry e-bikes around here charge at least $3000 for a bike comparable to the one I bought for half the price. They also don't carry the size big enough for me in stock so they would have to order it. Just shows not everyone's shopping experience is the same. Glad yours worked out well for you and I expect mine to work out well for me.

I know there was an E-bike thread a couple years ago but I think with the increased popularity and with Spring here or approaching depending on where you live I think it's time for a new thread. I am looking for an e-bike to buy this Spring. I need something big enough for me, I am 6'6". I would like to stay under $2500. Has anyone bought an e-bike in the last year that you would recommend for others to buy? Anything to watch out for, things to avoid?

Yes! I ride a nice regular non ebike and helped convince slightly older but wiser DW to get a Giant Momentum drop bar ebike early last summer. I typically take longish rides of 10-20 miles a couple times a week in decent Ohio weather, generally 8 mos of the year. With her ebike we also can go together for less strenuous 5 milers now.

Giant Momentum shown below is red color. Mine is funky green.

Attachments

• 9B91FAE9-F77A-4EF3-845D-AC14C8FA8C87.jpg
    9B91FAE9-F77A-4EF3-845D-AC14C8FA8C87.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 22
  • 4AB7383C-BD2D-4132-A7CB-7A0F39BEEC1C.jpg
    4AB7383C-BD2D-4132-A7CB-7A0F39BEEC1C.jpg
    668.2 KB · Views: 22
I notice a lot of e-bikes have disk brakes on them. My old bike has the rubber pads on the rim type of brakes.

So I don't think my bike is a good candidate for conversion ?

The average e-bike is 60-something pounds with some in the 80's. That is at least double what most regular bikes weigh. Disk brakes are much better for stopping a heavier bike. You can use brake pads but you really shouldn't.

I thought I would resurrect this thread instead of starting a new one.

I have started watching YouTube, doing research and looking for deals for a Folding All Alloy Fat Tire E-bike. With Hydraulic Brakes and a 750w Motor.

My budget is $1500. I have found a few to choose from. I was wondering if anyone else has one. This is the style I like.

Attachments

• engwe-engine-pro-750w-folding-fat-tire-electric-bike-with-12-8ah-battery-and-hydraulic-suspensio.jpg
    engwe-engine-pro-750w-folding-fat-tire-electric-bike-with-12-8ah-battery-and-hydraulic-suspensio.jpg
    263 KB · Views: 25

Does the KBO Breeze have a twist throttle or thumb throttle? Can't tell from the website.

Does the KBO Breeze have a twist throttle or thumb throttle? Can't tell from the website.

It has a twist throttle. I wasn't sure I would like that but I have no complaints at all. Works great

Back
Top Bottom