Earworms du jour

Happy Enchilada:

My Goodness! They look like little kids there! Were any of us really ever that young?? YMMV

One thing I remember from back then is that when I expressed appreciation for the band, people looked at me strangely.

One thing I remember from back then is that when I expressed appreciation for the band, people looked at me strangely.

Here is something odd and I hope I can explain it. I immediately appreciated their music - even though there was a lot of it I didn't really like or listen to. It's funny how you can recognize a sound that's not only "different" or "unique" but recognize that sound as having value and being a sound that will be remembered long after the genre it represents is considered passé. Really a "YMMV" subject but so much fun to experience.

A high school buddy brought this album to one of our library listening sessions 50+ years ago. We'd don our Koss headphones and turn it up to 11.

There is some nonsense on the FB that said whatever song was number one on your 7th birthday defines who you are, or some baloney sausage like that. Unfortunately mine was 'El Paso'' by Marty Robbins. Which has always been a nasty earworm of mine, probably because it has always been lurking around during my life.

timo, I had to check. The #1 song on my 7th birthday was none other than the Ronettes, Be My Baby. Since Phil Spector just died, I guess it comes full circle.
At 7 or so, I got my first transistor radio and hugged that thing close every night when I was supposed to be sleeping.

Marita, I had heard that the template was struck at 14 rather than 7. I think I was a Beethoven fan at 7 because Charlie Brown's friend Schroeder loved Beethoven.

Edit: Oops, I should have directed the response at Timo.

Last edited:
Marita, I had heard that the template was struck at 14 rather than 7. I think I was a Beethoven fan at 7 because Charlie Brown's friend Schroeder loved Beethoven.

Yes I always thought the date from psychologists was around 14. The song that actually marked me with pop music was the Supremes 'Stop in the Name of Love' when I was 12. Which is still an earworm occasionally. RIP Mary Wilson.

I remember the song very well, but could not have named the band if you put a gun to my head.

Could you have named them if someone didn't put a gun to your head? :angel:

Yes I always thought the date from psychologists was around 14. The song that actually marked me with pop music was the Supremes 'Stop in the Name of Love' when I was 12. Which is still an earworm occasionally. RIP Mary Wilson.

Yes, the Supremes were huge, along with the Temptations. Among the Motown acts, I liked the Four Tops the best. A lot of their tunes had a bit of an edge, which I enjoyed.

Remember this band? Fifty-one years ago in July.

Not even a trace of memory regarding this song or band. Having said that, IF someone played only the audio and told me it was Grace Slick and Marty Balin with Jefferson Airplane, I just might have believed it. YMMV

Polk Salad Annie. I have liked this song ever since it came out years ago. It was "different", told a little story, and had some funny lyrics like "gators got your granny - chomp chomp chomp". Also, grunts put in the right place! Always thought it was an older Black guy singing it and was surprised when I saw on You Tube a couple years ago it was a young White guy, Tony Joe White, who both wrote the song and was the original singer. Some mistakenly thought the song was about "grass" (marijuana), but Poke Sallet really is a green plant that grows wild in the South and is - or was - a commonly prepared dish.
Interestingly, Tony Joe White also wrote the very beautiful "Rainy Night in Georgia", of which Brooke Benton sang the best version IMHO. Sadly, Tony Joe White passed away only a year or two ago.

Mr._Graybeard: Regarding "It's a Beautiful Day - White Bird". Not only do I remember the song well, I bought the 78 rpm album when it first came out - the one that has a lovely cover showing a girl standing on a rock with a blue sky and white clouds in the background. And I still have it here at home. Haven't played it in years, though, because I gave my old record player away years ago. Play only CD's now. Maybe I can hawk it at one of the record stores that buys old albums. lol

Mr._Graybeard: Regarding "It's a Beautiful Day - White Bird". Not only do I remember the song well, I bought the 78 rpm album when it first came out - the one that has a lovely cover showing a girl standing on a rock with a blue sky and white clouds in the background. And I still have it here at home. Haven't played it in years, though, because I gave my old record player away years ago. Play only CD's now. Maybe I can hawk it at one of the record stores that buys old albums. lol

There were some great songs on that album in addition to "White Bird." "Bombay Calling" and "Time is" come to mind. They definitely had that San Francisco sound, with David LaFlamme's awesome violin solos for good measure

Polk Salad Annie. I have liked this song ever since it came out years ago. It was "different", told a little story, and had some funny lyrics like "gators got your granny - chomp chomp chomp". Also, grunts put in the right place! Always thought it was an older Black guy singing it and was surprised when I saw on You Tube a couple years ago it was a young White guy, Tony Joe White, who both wrote the song and was the original singer. Some mistakenly thought the song was about "grass" (marijuana), but Poke Sallet really is a green plant that grows wild in the South and is - or was - a commonly prepared dish.
Interestingly, Tony Joe White also wrote the very beautiful "Rainy Night in Georgia", of which Brooke Benton sang the best version IMHO. Sadly, Tony Joe White passed away only a year or two ago.

My favorite line in that song: "Her papa was a lazy no-account/claimed he had a bad back."

I remember hearing this one by Tony Joe in the late '60s.

Got this one going around, since it's Valentine's:

And, while I'm at it:

Back
Top Bottom