Electric Vehicles - Models Discussion

^^^ That's expensive.

Where I am, 7.85c/kWh for winter off-peak, 8.06c/kWh for summer off-peak.

I'm underwhelmed by the overnight discount. If I had a deal like Alan's I'd be making different decisions. Although I am sort of joking about waiting for the Toyota with the 900 mile range I don't want to invest too much in aging technology. Although I should probably be thankful for good fortune I am annoyed by being ineligible for the tax credit.

Yesterday there wss a huge traffic jam that showed dead stop for several hours on the main highway I needed to go through.

I have premium connectivity that I thought included live traffic data. But the navigation on my model Y planned a route right into this massive jam. I thought it would have figured out a better route.

There were only two ways to go across a river. I took the other bridge and got off to the south of the city that I had to go into. I then told it to navigate to my destination and it took me through the maze of city streets to get there.

My route was out of the way, so maybe sitting in the jam might have been faster.

Should the navigation route around jams?

In car navigation calculating charger needs on a long route and routing and showing a map display with route and charging points is an important standard feature in Teslas. You can also see chargers in your wide area and their live status (how many available, etc.). Navigation will even warn you of a busy charger in a timely fashion. It uses Google Maps including traffic data, with a Tesla layer on top for all the chargers info, charger routing calcs, etc. Car has it’s own cellphone connection for all this live data. It caches map data too so it’s seamless driving through poor cell connectivity areas - you don’t even notice it until you try to use your own phone.

That's good.

When driving on small mountainous roads through remote villages in northern Italy last year, I was warned of road construction sites ahead, as shown on the Android Auto car display. It was just a small narrow road, with just one or two cars besides mine.

I was impressed and thought, how did Google know this? It had to be by cooperation of the local jurisdiction to report on the road condition and work. How does that info get to Google?

Unfortunately, later I was detoured off a major freeway between Italy and France with no warning, no indication on Google Map. So, this telematic public service is still in progress and the results uneven.

Last edited:
... the navigation on my model Y planned a route right into this massive jam. I thought it would have figured out a better route.

Only if the computer was told about the jams, by someone or something.

Last edited:
Yesterday there wss a huge traffic jam that showed dead stop for several hours on the main highway I needed to go through.

I have premium connectivity that I thought included live traffic data. But the navigation on my model Y planned a route right into this massive jam. I thought it would have figured out a better route.

There were only two ways to go across a river. I took the other bridge and got off to the south of the city that I had to go into. I then told it to navigate to my destination and it took me through the maze of city streets to get there.

My route was out of the way, so maybe sitting in the jam might have been faster.

It’s not ideal, but we’ve found Apple Maps is usually more current on traffic so we’ll run it along with our in car Garmin or Tom Tom GPS. Yes I know running two map apps shouldn’t be necessary, but we only do it occasionally (rush hour, time sensitive trips or known traffic issues). I’ve read Waze (crowd sourced) and Google Maps are the best at timely real time traffic avoidance. Tesla uses Google maps but Tesla has their own real time traffic sources along with other features (e.g. charger planning locations). IME Garmin and Tom Tom often report traffic too late to be useful - e.g. they often route around traffic that’s since cleared and miss what’s actually current.

Last edited:
If Google Maps doesn’t know about the jam - you don’t see it in the live traffic data - you might not be routed around it.

In a busy (or confusing) area we sometimes run Apple Maps on DH’s iPhone concurrently with the car NAV for this reason. Apple Maps seems a bit more aggressive about reporting slowdowns/jams to us as well as rerouting to save time. They are still counting on users to post info. If a warned traffic condition has cleared DH will post it. He’s the copilot if anyone is wondering.

ETA: Like minds!

Back on comparing EVs, I saw an article that might be of interest.

This reporter drove a Toyota bZ4X and a Genesis GV60 on the two different 500-mile trips. He liked the Genesis much better, because the thing soaked up juice at 250 kW for charging, while the Toyota sipped at a rate as low as 50 kW. I saw somewhere that the Toyota intake could go higher. It might be the limit of the chargers on the trip he took.

Darn, 50 kW is low! And 250 kW! That's 50x what my home draws, when the 5-ton central AC is cranking to fight the 115F heat.

The full article is here: https://finance.yahoo.com/news/took-2-500-mile-drives-090001303.html.

Genesis GV60:

64cd3d098df5080019d32bec

Toyota bZ4X:

642c37d2fcb86b0018031149

Last edited:
One could display the battery charge down to 0.1%, instead of 1%. Going down to 0.01% is useless on the freeway, because that least significant digit would be a blur.

Tesla can only show 1% resolution, so a 0.3% resolution (which is ~1 mile), is better... going finer, as you pointed out is useless, but I don't recall seeing anyone talk about 0.01%.

I was talking about the car console displaying the map showing charging points along the route. I don't know which EVs have this, but happened to see a video of a VinFast dashboard which had this. I thought that if this minor-leagued and unestablished EV has it, then other more established brands would also. Perhaps not true.

Tesla display chargers nearby along with a little number in each icon to indicate how many stalls are available at that location based on live data. It's pretty horrible in most other EVs. VinFast is currently pretty bad in terms of usability as a car, and their UI is supposedly horribly laggy. Most even completely gave up and just rely on Apply Carplay and Android Auto. This is a big mistake as they are giving up control of the UI, which is a point of customer interaction. They are also giving up future potential revenue streams. They must have no foresight and/or no technical abilities.

There should be a setting for the navigation to re-route if traffic conditions delay your arrival by a certain amount of time. What was yours set at? It's right there in the manual:

"In situations where traffic conditions will delay your estimated time of arrival and an alternate route is available, the navigation system can reroute you to your destination. You can also specify the minimum number of minutes that must be saved before you are rerouted."​

Don't set this too low or the system will get bi-polar on you.

If Google Maps doesn’t know about the jam - you don’t see it in the live traffic data - you might not be routed around it.

In a busy (or confusing) area we sometimes run Apple Maps on DH’s iPhone concurrently with the car NAV for this reason. Apple Maps seems a bit more aggressive about reporting slowdowns/jams to us as well as rerouting to save time. They are still counting on users to post info. If a warned traffic condition has cleared DH will post it. He’s the copilot if anyone is wondering.

ETA: Like minds!

Actually, I think Tesla uses Google traffic data but also augments their own. I've noticed that when I drive through an "orange/yellow" area quickly and didn't encounter the expected traffic, the map will quickly update to green (or blue if a route is drawn over it). So in areas of dense Tesla vehicles, traffic is usually pretty accurate during daytime hours.

@NW-Bound: I'm too lazy to go out to the car to get screenshots of the in-car screen, but it's basically the same as on the Tesla app.

Screenshot_20230808-133456.jpg Screenshot_20230808-133510.jpg Screenshot_20230808-133829.jpg

Another benefit that will come with my new Bolt 2LT EUV later this year (Oct/Nov) is GM is paying an electrical contractor to come out to your house and install a 240 volt level two charger in your choice of location. They will pull permits, if necessary and install the unit free of charge. :cool:

The online routing was on and set to save 10 minutes. Guess that is the default value.

Premium connectivity should mean I get traffic data.

The highway was dead stop from 3pm to 6pm and showed black on the local news station traffic map on their web site. So up to date info should not be an issue.

Today it was moving and looks ok so far. I have to go back tonight.

Side note, driving in today with my Acura I had two very very close calls in crazy traffic. Probably better to let the tesla get broken or stolen than die in a crash.

Another benefit that will come with my new Bolt 2LT EUV later this year (Oct/Nov) is GM is paying an electrical contractor to come out to your house and install a 240 volt level two charger in your choice of location. They will pull permits, if necessary and install the unit free of charge. :cool:

That's a great benefit for first time EV owners that need electrical work done. Any limi6t on the work? Service upgrades, new breaker boxes, and long runs would cost a lot. A LOT. I'm lucky my Dad (and my brother) is a licensed electrician, so I've never really paid for electrical work.

The online routing was on and set to save 10 minutes. Guess that is the default value.

Premium connectivity should mean I get traffic data.

The highway was dead stop from 3pm to 6pm and showed black on the local news station traffic map on their web site. So up to date info should not be an issue.

Today it was moving and looks ok so far. I have to go back tonight.

Side note, driving in today with my Acura I had two very very close calls in crazy traffic. Probably better to let the tesla get broken or stolen than die in a crash.

Don't know why it failed for you then. Mine is usually too re-route happy.

FYI. Premium connectivity is only required for traffic visualization on the screen. Traffic-based navigation routing is included free.

That's a great benefit for first time EV owners that need electrical work done. Any limi6t on the work? Service upgrades, new breaker boxes, and long runs would cost a lot. A LOT. I'm lucky my Dad (and my brother) is a licensed electrician, so I've never really paid for electrical work.

According to what I have read on GM's site, and what the dealer told me, there are no limitations on distance from the panel. I would assume that for the vast majority of people that are living in a typical house, the installation is all inclusive. But I can't be 100% sure at this point.

In any event, mine will be straightforward as my new house is small and the 200 amp service panel has open slots for the new breaker.

In my old house, which I sold in June, I installed a 240 V outlet in my garage for my big air compressor myself. So I am pretty knowledgeable on what's required to add this charger.

I'm glad GM is covering the cost!

The Tesla Plaid is the only one that really gets my attention. But I'm not ready for an EV yet.

We have an '23 ID.4 and love it. Just hit 10,000 miles.

Trying to figure out what to replace my aging Subaru with - not a lot out there with a bit of clearance and AWD for the snow. Probably will get a '24 ID.4 or maybe the Audi Etron.

According to what I have read on GM's site, and what the dealer told me, there are no limitations on distance from the panel. I would assume that for the vast majority of people that are living in a typical house, the installation is all inclusive. But I can't be 100% sure at this point.

In any event, mine will be straightforward as my new house is small and the 200 amp service panel has open slots for the new breaker.

In my old house, which I sold in June, I installed a 240 V outlet in my garage for my big air compressor myself. So I am pretty knowledgeable on what's required to add this charger.

I'm glad GM is covering the cost!

I just looked up the FAQ and it says:

"Through Qmerit, GM will cover up to $1,000 towards the cost of the installation and up to $250 towards the cost of the permit. The customer is responsible for paying the electrician the remaining balance directly at the time of service."
Since the Bolt's onboard charger is only 30A, I guess they wouldn't authorize a 50A circuit as "standard installation." Either way, it would be a good idea in many older (or smaller) homes to upgrade the service if it's paid-for, which would probably go beyond this limit, but still worth it if they are willing to cover up to $1k.

The Tesla Plaid is the only one that really gets my attention. But I'm not ready for an EV yet.

Roadster coming in a few years. *Fingers-crossed* It'll be my mid-life crisis car.

Future Electric Vehicles Coming 2023-2028
There are dozens of new electric cars, trucks, and SUVs on the horizon.
Road & Track: JUL 19, 2023
https://www.roadandtrack.com/rankings/g43932239/future-electric-cars-trucks/

Yeah, don't put too much stock in that list... and even less on those prices. Many (most?) of those will not happen.

Excellent example of the biased tone against Tesla in most media. The word "delay" is used for both Tesla vehicles and only in one other place. This is a list full of cars that are essentially empty promises, delayed, or offered by near-bankrupt automakers. They went so far as to say, "As with any new Tesla, it's been hit with years of delays and broken promises" which is just untrue. The Model Y was early. Description on every other model was neutral to positive, even some that acknowledge a delay indirectly.

Sure are a lot of them and they look expensive. I wonder when an EV will come out "en mass" that is affordable for the average family?

At what price would you consider it affordable for the average family? Model 3 and Ioniq 5 are pretty much at or below the average new car price even before tax credits. With some compromises, something like the Bolt is even cheaper than those.

Tesla is building their largest factory yet in Mexico that will produce a new, lower-cost vehicle that is yet-to-be revealed. That should probably meet your definition, I think.

We took possession of our Tesla Model Y, long range, about a month ago.
We just took our first, relatively short drive from Houston to Dallas this past weekend.
It worked fine, we used two Tesla superchargers on the way and back. We didn't charge at sister's house. Just felt a bit awkward.

What we like about this particular model -
tons of cargo space (trunk, area under trunk and "frunk" - the space at the front of the car where the engine would generally go), spacious headroom and large tinted glass roof make it feel larger inside, supercharging capabilities...

We're not big car people. We just knew we needed to replace a car (which, incidentally, we still haven't decided whether to sell the 2012 Prius or the 2014 Tacoma so we still have all three...) and with the lowered price and the $7500 rebate it made sense for us. I know they have the new HW4 model coming out...that didn't make a bit of difference for us as the main improvement seems to be the Self-Driving component and we simply are "there" yet.

I'm interested in learning about all makes and model of EVs. We're a bit lazy and gun shy, I suppose - we just wanted to peace of mind of more charging possibilities while traveling so we went with Tesla.

I will say, though, that traveling long distances and in particular areas makes is a bit of a challenge. Oklahoma comes to mind. DH will likely take one of our other vehicles when he goes next time. Tulsa is fine but getting into rural areas is problematic.

GM plans to offer 2-way charging on all Ultium cars starting 2024. Or maybe with the 2025 model year.

Cadillac Escalade IQ introduced today, starting price $130k, will have 200 kWh battery, which they estimate will deliver 450 miles on a single charge.

Cadillac Escalade IQ introduced today, starting price $130k, will have 200 kWh battery, which they estimate will deliver 450 miles on a single charge.

Wow! That's a huge car. Won't be available until late 2024, but with that size it will certainly have room for plenty of battery.

Thanks for creating this post. I will be in the market for a new car in 2030. I want to buy an electric SUV then but wondering if the charging station infrastructure will be in place for long trips. For example we have a cottage that we travel to every year and the charging infrastructure will be needed for multiple trips to that cottage and other cross country destinations.

Thanks for creating this post. I will be in the market for a new car in 2030. I want to buy an electric SUV then but wondering if the charging station infrastructure will be in place for long trips. For example we have a cottage that we travel to every year and the charging infrastructure will be needed for multiple trips to that cottage and other cross country destinations.

You can see what infrastructure is available now here:
https://abetterrouteplanner.com

Select any BEV from the list, put in your start and end points, and it will give you the best route showing existing charging stops.

Back
Top Bottom