Electric Vehicles - Models Discussion

I'm probably buying a Kia EV6 this week. After test driving one, I wasn't exactly blown away, but it's a very nice car, and with the 300 mile range and 800v charging (going from 10% to 80% in 18 minutes), it is quite suitable for longer trips in ways many other EVs are not. At least, those under $50K. I particularly like the 360 degree camera view, that always appealed to me as a great safety feature.

I'm probably buying a Kia EV6 this week. After test driving one, I wasn't exactly blown away, but it's a very nice car, and with the 300 mile range and 800v charging (going from 10% to 80% in 18 minutes), it is quite suitable for longer trips in ways many other EVs are not. At least, those under $50K. I particularly like the 360 degree camera view, that always appealed to me as a great safety feature.
Where do you find 800V charging?

Is see, they accounts for less than 2% of available DC chargers in US and Europe.

Last edited:
I found the lumbar support adjustment......the warming cupholder.....are you serious? :D

Warming cupholder? LOL! Does anyone else think that carmakers are adding way too much "crap" to vehicles? Oh well, I guess it's another chance to add $500 to the price tag for something that costs them about $20 to manufacture and add to the vehicle. No wonder vehicle prices are getting so high.

Warming cupholder? LOL! Does anyone else think that carmakers are adding way too much "crap" to vehicles? Oh well, I guess it's another chance to add $500 to the price tag for something that costs them about $20 to manufacture and add to the vehicle. No wonder vehicle prices are getting so high.
There aren’t active warming cup holders AFAIK, REWahoo’s post is in jest. In this climate the cool liquid will warm itself naturally.
Yes, I'm serious. For the past few months every drink I've put in my EUV cup holder has warmed. Takes a little longer if the cup is insulated, but it does get warm. :)

Last edited:
Where do you find 800V charging?

Is see, they accounts for less than 2% of available DC chargers in US and Europe.

It's the car's bus speed, in computerspeak. At a 250kWh (oops, not 150) supercharger it can obtain that charging rate, 10-80% in about 18 minutes. At the more common 50kWh chargers, sure, it will take longer, but I'm on the east coast, so it's not hard to find supercharges, especially if I'm up and down I-95. The nearest one is about 12 miles/20 minutes from our house. I might take it up to visit my friends in NYC, the fast charging will be really handy.

It's the car's bus speed, in computerspeak. At a 250kWh (oops, not 150) supercharger it can obtain that charging rate, 10-80% in about 18 minutes. At the more common 50kWh chargers, sure, it will take longer, but I'm on the east coast, so it's not hard to find supercharges, especially if I'm up and down I-95. The nearest one is about 12 miles/20 minutes from our house. I might take it up to visit my friends in NYC, the fast charging will be really handy.
I’m talking about DC chargers that will give you 800V charging versus 400V. Not many, but if you have some in your area that’s great.

Personally our DC charging speed is fine and I’ve done a lot of really long distance trips.

It may help to watch some charging reviews on YouTube. The Out of Spec Reviews channel has done many, superchargers & other networks. Theres a lot of difference between the various network’s reliability, cost & most importantly capabilities. Enjoy your new ride. It looks like a great car.

Today I went to our mall (The Woodlands Mall) with a friend to watch the Texans game on the huge TV in the food court at noon.

Bad deal for the Texans but good for me as I charged the Bolt on their Level 2 free chargers. This is a good deal! There are scads of free chargers strategically located on the outside of the Mall. How can someone not like this?:)

In the free charge area I was at (maybe 4 - 6 spots), there was my Bolt, a Model Y, and a BMW X series something or other.

Good news for a change

The company that handles the subsidized Level 2 circuit install for GM EV buyers sent an electrician to my house to check out the install layout.

Nice fellow, and their company seems to handle all the work for the GM sub (Qmerit) in the area as far as installing circuits and charging stations.

He scoped out my house/garage and said they will quote me. I got the quote the same day and it is no cost on my part. GM will pay for the whole install.:)

It should be installed within the next ten business days.

Dang maybe worth buying a GM EV for the install.

But there really isn't a GM EV that seems interesting.

Would probably buy a Honda EV before GM, even though they are all using Ultium EV platform.

The company that handles the subsidized Level 2 circuit install for GM EV buyers sent an electrician to my house to check out the install layout.

Nice fellow, and their company seems to handle all the work for the GM sub (Qmerit) in the area as far as installing circuits and charging stations.

He scoped out my house/garage and said they will quote me. I got the quote the same day and it is no cost on my part. GM will pay for the whole install.:)

It should be installed within the next ten business days.

Does it cover panel upgrades as well?

Would need to go from 100A to 200A here.

So one reason to avoid Tesla, it’s data collection and protection policies and practices are the worst of any auto manufacturer

From Tesla's web site:

"To protect your privacy, by default, this vehicle data is either in a form that is not associated with your account or VIN, is stored in an encrypted format that Tesla cannot decrypt, or remains inaccessible unless a specific event is triggered:"

https://www.tesla.com/legal/privacy

Tesla dropped prices again on their high end Model S and X cars recently. It’s now finally dropped below where we had ordered in 2021. Not only that, but Tesla is now including the premium paint colors in the base price, which would have saved us even more.

However, no regrets as we’ve enjoyed driving for 16 months with several very long and enjoyable car trips plus we really like having the ultrasonic sensors for parking and the yoke was standard/included.

Expect to own ours at least another 3 years, we’ll see where things are in 2027.

This Polestar 2 lease offer doesn't seem bad.

But when you try to find actual inventory, it may have thousands of options in there, raising the cap price.

https://www.polestar.com/us/offers/new/polestar-2-2024-lrsm-lease/

With much higher interest rates, this is not too different from other leases I've done but it will depend on taxes and fees as well.

Plus insurance is likely to be high.

I was very happy with the Tesla service when I had my Model S for 7 years even though the last couple of years the S was in the shop a lot.

In the bit over 2 years I’ve had the Model 3, I’ve only needed to go in the shop for a couple of minor issues, and the tech came to my house for one minor recall item. The service was no longer exceptional, no fully loaded Teslas as loaner cars, just an Uber voucher. The Tesla service center was no longer stocked with fancy beverages, just coffee and water. Overall Tesla, service went from great to good, since I bought my 3.

However, yesterday Tesla made me an impressed customer again. While driving to a noon lunch, I got a notice that my low-voltage system was failing (aka the 12 V car battery) I was warned that it would start shutting accessories, and eventually the car wouldn’t start. I was told to schedule a service appointment with my Tesla app, at 3 PM I opened the app, the error codes were already transferred to the app. I hit request service and a few seconds later I was asked if the mobile service guy could come to my house between 8-12 AM. Not wanting to be stranded somewhere with a dead car, I eagerly said yes.
At 8:30 the tech showed up at 8:45 he was done replacing the battery. The total cost to me was $0.

Now there may be some legacy car makers who remotely monitor their car’s system and proactively dispatch service techs to customer houses before they fail, but I’m not aware of them. Not having to deal with a dead battery in random parking lot, a pretty great feeling.

I was very happy with the Tesla service when I had my Model S for 7 years even though the last couple of years the S was in the shop a lot.

In the bit over 2 years I’ve had the Model 3, I’ve only needed to go in the shop for a couple of minor issues, and the tech came to my house for one minor recall item. The service was no longer exceptional, no fully loaded Teslas as loaner cars, just an Uber voucher. The Tesla service center was no longer stocked with fancy beverages, just coffee and water. Overall Tesla, service went from great to good, since I bought my 3.

However, yesterday Tesla made me an impressed customer again. While driving to a noon lunch, I got a notice that my low-voltage system was failing (aka the 12 V car battery) I was warned that it would start shutting accessories, and eventually the car wouldn’t start. I was told to schedule a service appointment with my Tesla app, at 3 PM I opened the app, the error codes were already transferred to the app. I hit request service and a few seconds later I was asked if the mobile service guy could come to my house between 8-12 AM. Not wanting to be stranded somewhere with a dead car, I eagerly said yes.
At 8:30 the tech showed up at 8:45 he was done replacing the battery. The total cost to me was $0.

Now there may be some legacy car makers who remotely monitor their car’s system and proactively dispatch service techs to customer houses before they fail, but I’m not aware of them. Not having to deal with a dead battery in random parking lot, a pretty great feeling.
That’s awesome!

We have the newer battery that is ~16V so hoping this doesn’t have to replaced. Knock on wood.

I’ve only had my Tesla since June 2022, so never experienced loaners at a Tesla service location. Fortunately visits have just been a few hours and we bring our own goodies in a cooler anyway. Only warranty work so far - fairly minor although at the last one they did replace a couple of pieces of glass to solve a falconwing door fit problem, so that took longer.

It’s a 65 mile drive there, almost all highway, but I can’t schedule earlier than 10:30. So the second time we had to wait through a lunch break. But they got everything done better than we hoped.

Back
Top Bottom