Electric Vehicles - Models Discussion

The drive by wire is interesting - the "yoke" never needs to turn more than quarter turn - or is it half turn? So no reason to need to be able to grab the top or bottom of the "yoke?"
I know one is always supposed to maintain a 10/2-o'clock grip (on a steering wheel), but to reduce fatigue I often have my hands at the bottom of the steering wheel when driving. It there an equivalent fatigue-reducing grip with steering yokes (assuming you're not using some sort of self-driving mode)?

I know one is always supposed to maintain a 10/2-o'clock grip (on a steering wheel), but to reduce fatigue I often have my hands at the bottom of the steering wheel when driving.

Actually, I have often seen that the recommendation has changed to 8/4 instead of 10/2 for the normal grip. The reason is that apparently some people have had their arms broken by the airbag when it went off, due to holding the wheel up high.

Yeah, that 10/2 recommendation went away after steering wheel airbags became common.

I have a yoke, and it’s quite comfortable for me to have my hands at the yoke sides in various positions.

Sold out Cybertruck broken Window Stickers......

It's probably better that I reserve comment and just share the link:

https://www.cnn.com/2023/12/01/business/broken-window-stickers-tesla-cybertruck-sell-out/index.html

"Back In 2019, Tesla designer Franz von Holzhausen tried to show off the Cybertruck’s shatterproof windows by throwing a metal ball at each of the truck’s left side windows. The unbreakable windows… broke.

Following Thursday’s Cybertruck delivery event, Tesla decided to cash in on the embarrassment from 2019 with a broken-glass window sticker. The sticker, which is specifically designed to fit the Cybertruck’s uniquely-shaped window, quickly sold out, of course, the company said. It’s unclear how many stickers were made available. The $55 sticker goes on the back-seat window on the driver’s-side, not the front driver’s side window that also cracked in real life."

Last edited:
"Following Thursday’s Cybertruck delivery event, Tesla decided to cash in..."

Ummm... Thursday? They decided to "cash in" in 2019 when they started selling T-shirts with the broken glass printed on them.

There are a bunch of Blazer RS models listed for dealers near me all for a list price of about 60k. I was surprised that the one I looked up was Hecho in Mexico I thought that they were going to be made at the old Bolt plant in Michigan. The cargo capacity is only 59 cubic feet but the ground clearance is great at almost 8 inches. I hope they catch on.

What are the ground clearances of other EVs?

Ioniq 5 seems pretty low to the ground to me.

Also the Tesla 3 and Y.

What are the ground clearances of other EVs?

Ioniq 5 seems pretty low to the ground to me.

Also the Tesla 3 and Y.

Model Y is 6.8 inches. You could just do a 10 second search…

Model Y is 6.8 inches. You could just do a 10 second search…

That's better than the average sedan and I decided it was good enough for me. I would have preferred a couple more inches. It would be great to have the option to increase it as needed but 17 inches is way more than I would ever need. :)

I don't see the attraction of driving Jeeps over huge rocks and uneven terrain but it seems like the Cybertruck would be good for that.

Maybe not the correct EV topic but this is very interesting, short article about a test section of roadway for wireless charging: https://apnews.com/article/wireless...ging-detroit-22fcdeabd026d81712a0c1a12b190d9a
Sweden had a test section in 2018, and Italy in 2022, but they don't seem to be going anywhere anytime soon. Other articles on the one in Detroit (link above) quoted $6M per mile to build - so I am not holding my breath. Especially since I can charge for under $15/month at home, with zero inconvenience.

Here's an interview of Musk by Sandy Munro on the Cybertruck (mostly).

IIRC, some people may or may not be fans of Munro, but I thought this might be of interest. I haven't watched the whole thing yet, so I don't have an opinion on how insightful this is overall, but thought it would at least be of interest to some.

I got through the discussion of 48 V electrical systems and the start of steer-by-wire.

-ERD50

This web site lists heights of EVs.

https://www.myevreview.com/comparison-chart/height?

They have a lot of non US models so you have that caveat, because US versions may have different tires for instance.

Volvo EX30 is only 61 inch height. VW ID.3, which is not sold in the US, is considered more of a hatchback than a CUV and that is taller than the Volvo.

I think EVs may have lower ground clearance because the batteries are on the floor or under the floor of the cabin.

But the taller SUVs may be more comfortable to get in and out of, not to mention being able to see further ahead while driving.

I think EVs may have lower ground clearance because the batteries are on the floor or under the floor of the cabin.

EVs have lower ground clearance for less air resistance.

The model 3 is very sleek looking and has great range, but I wouldn’t want to be getting in and out of that thing.

Last edited:
EVs have lower ground clearance for less air resistance.

The model 3 is very sleek looking and has great range, but I wouldn’t want to be getting in and out of that thing.

The Model Y seems like a good compromise to me. Adding air suspension would add cost and the segment of the market that really values ground clearance is probably pretty small. :)

I was surprised to find that the Bolt EUV has the same ground clearance at the Bolt hatchback. Good marketing from Chevrolet. The extra leg room in the EUV is a nice feature.

The Model Y seems like a good compromise to me. Adding air suspension would add cost and the segment of the market that really values ground clearance is probably pretty small. :)
Yes, I rented a Model Y for a week and we were quite comfortable.

Cyber truck is built for driving over rocks on the moon and mars. It does not require oxygen to run like an ICE version. Charging will not be an issue when the nuclear range extender pack is ready :)

I watched the CarEdge video on Youtube about vehicles with the most and least supply. The Mach E has a 358 day supply and is facing loss of the tax credit in 2024 which is unfortunate. It was too expensive for me but I would like to see Ford succeed.

Why would the Mach E lose the tax credit?

Fords tricks over the years , I have no love …They can keep their Mustangs another 354 days.

The Mach E has a 358 day supply and is facing loss of the tax credit in 2024 which is unfortunate. It was too expensive for me but I would like to see Ford succeed.

My daughter has a real mustang (2014 Premium Edition). I looked at the new EV "Mustang" and they can keep it. There's nothing like the real thing. BTW, I have owned four Mustangs and my daughter has owned three over the years. Great cars!

Back
Top Bottom