Favorite Radio Stations

DayDreaming

Full time employment: Posting here.
I know that many don't even listen to radio any more, with services like Pandora, Spotify, etc, but I do really enjoy some radio stations. So, just for fun, are there any stations that you really really like, give a brief description, and hopefully a link to hear it via the intranet.

I find myself listening to these quite a lot:

1. WXPN - Philadelphia based public radio with a mix of alternative rock / folk music which I really enjoy. Probably 90% of my radio listening is this station
  2. KSYM - Student run public radio out of San Antonio College - I like this for a slightly different mix of alternative music, leaning a bit more towards blues and country, with some really good live performances
  3. R2C.FM - radio station in Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of the Congo. I'm not sure what the correct term is but I think of this music as Afro-Pop. Most of the time I find the music so infectiously happy. I don't understand what they're saying but it usually puts a smile on my face.
  4. and some local NPR stations for news, but I'm sure everyone has a good news stations near them.

I mostly listen to podcasts and Pandora these days. On the rare occasion that I listen to radio, it's almost always KERA, which is an NPR member station based in Dallas. But it can be easily picked up all over North Texas. I particularly enjoy the Saturday line-up, which includes, "Wait Wait Don't Tell Me", "Ask Me Another", "A Way With Words", and "Live from Here with Chris Thile", among many others. Here's a link to listen live.

I mainly listen to Sirius/XM. I flip between Howard, the First Wave channel (80's alt), and like the morning show on POTUS, Julie Mason, for a good balance of political news.

I have mentioned my two favorites several times -- wwoz.org (New Orleans) and kuvo.org (Denver). They can, also, be accessed with Alexa-type devices by, for instance, "Play kuvo radio." They are Jazz (mostly) stations but almost every radio station (foreign and domestic) now has a streaming transmission available through their website.

My favorite terrestrial station is KALX on 90.7FM as well as streaming. It comes from the campus of UC Berkeley and has very diverse and interesting music programming. Also KQED, our local NPR member station. To a lesser extent, I also listen to BBC Radio 4 and BBC Radio 6.

I listen to Sirius- usually 26 classic vinyl or 7 - 70’s in my Jeep and truck. I listen to WLS talk radio 89 in DW’s car since she doesn’t have Sirius.

I know that many don't even listen to radio any more, with services like Pandora, Spotify, etc, but I do really enjoy some radio stations. So, just for fun, are there any stations that you really really like, give a brief description, and hopefully a link to hear it via the intranet.

I find myself listening to these quite a lot:

1. WXPN - Philadelphia based public radio with a mix of alternative rock / folk music which I really enjoy. Probably 90% of my radio listening is this station
  2. KSYM - Student run public radio out of San Antonio College - I like this for a slightly different mix of alternative music, leaning a bit more towards blues and country, with some really good live performances
  3. R2C.FM - radio station in Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of the Congo. I'm not sure what the correct term is but I think of this music as Afro-Pop. Most of the time I find the music so infectiously happy. I don't understand what they're saying but it usually puts a smile on my face.
  4. and some local NPR stations for news, but I'm sure everyone has a good news stations near them.
Have to admit I'm one of those who've moved to Spotify as the primary "station". But we had many years of just XPN on the radio, and a handful of summers at the XPNFest. And so many good shows at World Cafe Live: Toumani Diabate, Graham Nash, Bill Frissel and many others.

70% podcasts.

15% SiriusXM...mostly Symphony Hall and The Bridge. I used to be a die-hard Howard Stern listener until it literally turned into a puppet show.

10% purchased music.

5% Spotify...I tend to use this when I want to listen to music while motorcycling.

I haven't listened to terrestrial radio for, jeesh, decades at this point. And I certainly don't miss the commercials or the politics.

WORT-FM, a community based radio station in Madison, Wisconsin. Very eclectic mix of music and news. I enjoy the accoustic/folk shows on weekday mornings.

When I lived in Atlanta, the #1 radio station is AM-750, talk radio. They give the traffic report every 6 minutes which is so important there. And it's Clark Howard's home station.

Now, I listen to a local jazz PBS station mostly. I also listen to a Muscle Shoals station, FM 107.3 and owned by Sam Phillips Family. He discovered Elvis, Jerry Lee and other rock n roll greats. The format is whatever the hell they want to play.

And WSM Clear Channel 650 out of Nashville playing old school country music. They've been getting unemployed musicians and singers on every morning talking about the industry throughout the pandemic. It's actually been very intesting.

Rarely listen to radio, but I like County music and soft rock.

I mostly listen to podcasts (a lot of medical and finance).

At the moment I am listening to some Home Free on youtube.

for years...and i mean decades starting when i was a kid at home and continuing to maybe 15-years ago...it was WGN in Chicago. 'GN was consistently #1 in the ratings and then a new mgmt team was brought in to "fix" it. of course the ratings and listeners tanked and never recovered. these days my radio listening is pretty much confined to Sirius/XM when I'm in the car or out walking. channels 6, 7, 8, 58-61, 110 and 125.

KUSC classical public radio station in southern calif. a great station that has members across the planet

Any station that plays CW.

for years...and i mean decades starting when i was a kid at home and continuing to maybe 15-years ago...it was WGN in Chicago. 'GN was consistently #1 in the ratings and then a new mgmt team was brought in to "fix" it. of course the ratings and listeners tanked and never recovered. these days my radio listening is pretty much confined to Sirius/XM when I'm in the car or out walking. channels 6, 7, 8, 58-61, 110 and 125.

When I was a kid in the 60s, I lived in Kalamazoo Mi, when I visited my cousins in Dowagiac my cousin would have WLS playing on the radio, I still remember their little weather intro ditty. " What's the weather for the weekend going to be, will it be hot, cold, rain, sno owo"

Now that I'm living in Florida, I can receive both WGN and WLS at night on one of my antennas after the sun goes down.

One of my cousins gave me my first 45, Chubby Checkers, Let's do the twist. :dance:

I rarely listen to radio but occasionally stream Radio Paradise. RP has an eclectic, user curated song list that covers oldies from the 60s thru current stuff.

Here in NH I have several OTA stations I still Like. WXRB (The river) in Boston, WRSI(The River) in Northampton ma, WCRB classical radio Boston and the local NPR stations. We find we are leaving WCRB classical on all day long now. Very beautiful and relaxing music throughout the house all day!

In the car: Sirius XM particularly: Deep Tracks, Classic Vinyl, Classic Rewind.
When we are up in Downeast Maine we like WERU in Blue Hill which is a real eclectic station originally started by Noel Paul Stookey.

My favourite station is the terrestrial station CKUA from Alberta. I t carries an incredibly eclectic mix of music ranging from classical, folk, bluegrass, avant garde, blues - everything except celebrity seeking, whiny top 40 pop singers.:dance:

Back
Top Bottom