Favorite Radio Stations

When I drive in traffic, which is rare these days, I listen to KBEM-FM, which has to be the only station of its type anywhere. During rush hour, the format is all jazz and all traffic. They get limited funding from the state transportation department. Every 10 minutes, they do 8 minutes of jazz and 2 minutes of traffic, during morning and evening rush hours. Minneapolis Public Schools owns the station and students have been on-air over the years. Pretty cool.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KBEM-FM

When I was a kid in the 60s, I lived in Kalamazoo Mi, when I visited my cousins in Dowagiac my cousin would have WLS playing on the radio, I still remember their little weather intro ditty. " What's the weather for the weekend going to be, will it be hot, cold, rain, sno owo"

Now that I'm living in Florida, I can receive both WGN and WLS at night on one of my antennas after the sun goes down.

One of my cousins gave me my first 45, Chubby Checkers, Let's do the twist. :dance:

In the 50's we listened to WLS especially for the "Barn Dance" show which featured the current C&W stars - somewhat similar to the WSM Grand Ole Opry. But in 1960, Just as I turned 13, WLS became the "Rock of Chicago" and played top 40. I was hooked for many years. I stayed until they switched to an all-talk format. I still turn on the station at least once every time I return to the midwest just to hear the call letters. YMMV

I remember a popular AM radio station back in the day NYC's 1010 WINS , everything about NYC and world info. And whatever station played the popular Howard Stern show!

KUT - UT-Austin NPR
KUTX - UT-Austin - The Austin Music Experience (esp. Jody Denberg)
KPFT - Pacifica - reminds me of my days in Montrose. Especially like 'Democracy Now' with Amy Goodman

Back
Top Bottom