Favorite songs from the last decade

I do have a special affinity for the "one-take", no cut video process - best exemplified by Weird Al's video. (I do think there was just a bit of video magic involved, but I'll let that slide because it was done so seamlessly.) I think back to movies where such things happened and it was done on film. Perhaps one of the best was the opening scene of TOUCH OF EVIL.

Truly stunning for the time. Now returning you to our regularly scheduled thread as YMMV.

Did you see the Sam Mendes film "1917"? Only one visible cut in the whole film.

DH is another admirer of TOUCH OF EVIL. The opening shot from BOOGIE NIGHTS is also great:

I do have a special affinity for the "one-take", ...Perhaps one of the best was the opening scene of TOUCH OF EVIL.

Truly stunning for the time. Now returning you to our regularly scheduled thread as YMMV.

Did you see the Sam Mendes film "1917"? Only one visible cut in the whole film.

Oh, yes! Very impressive though with video and the various tricks it can play, I remain more impressed with the older film examples. Have you seen ROPE (Hitch's - arguably a minor work for him - amazing camera work with 10 minute reels of film at his disposal, usually cutting during the passing of an object, etc. Technically, an amazing feat for the time.) YMMV

Sorry. Back to the thread.

I made a real effort to find new music up until the last 5-10 years, but the pickings just got too lean and I pretty much gave up around the time I ER'd five years ago. So there's quite a bit I like in the last 15 years, but once the last alt-indie wave of the 00's died out my interest pretty much died with it.

One of my old guy rants is that I just hate what the America's got a talented new masked idol with a voice, etc. shows have done to homogenize modern music. I really can't stand any of that stuff.

Anyway, here's at least one popular song I liked that slips (barely) into the 10 year window:

Holy CRAP. How did I miss this the first time around? Purchased and now one of my favorites!!

Oh, and by the way, I recently ran into a series of YouTube videos with essentially the format of:

Here are a couple young people discovering OLD music. My favorite duo is a couple of 21+ year old head bangers called Alex and Andy and they call their channel FIRST TIME REACTION I think.

They listen to stuff from the 60s and 70s for the most part and rate it - somewhat on its "banger status" but they go deeper. (Bit of language involved, so make sure the grand kids are asleep. Oh, and alcohol IS involved as well).

My favorite is their evaluation of Bob Seger Night Moves. Clearly not for Bangers, but watch these guys cry - I just know it's real. I've been watching the heck out of these guys and a couple of others over the past week or so.

Enjoy (or not since YMMV)

Okay, I can't stop just yet. Here's another of their evaluations which shows they can down-rate a song that's a personal favorite of mine - and I'm okay with that. They LISTENED to it. They liked it but found fault and could put their finger on what it was, etc. They also don't always have a clue about the background (thinking this was a one hit wonder, IIRC - Sugarloaf went on to a hit 6 or 7 years later with Don't Call Us, We'll Call You.)

They don't know stuff like Rod Stewart with Faces is different than his solo stuff IIRC. No criticism. If you've never heard of a song, you wouldn't be expected to know all the back stories like a fan (or old guy like me.)

Here goes:

Really enjoyed this!! I found it quite sincere and very moving. Off to find more of these two.

Like many here I love the music of the late 60's to mid 70's. I do try to listen to newer stuff.

Of them I really like Florence and the Machine, The Decemberists, Of Monsters and Men, Mumford and sons to name a few.

I see you also like Mumford and Sons. Tried out Of Monsters and Men and LOVE them.

Two decades ago, I think. Heard it the other day and remembered how much I love it. "The sky resembles a backlit canopy with holes punched in it."

Yes, yes your correct OP. I'm sure many have a select set of musical artists from decades ago. :cool:

Beatles, Stones, PaulMcarthney & wings, JLennon, EJohn, JGiles, Aerosmith, Allman Bros.band,etc.
Those are certainly my type of artists. Next to Sinatra, of course.
Soon I'd speculate they'll be oldies! Unless they already are:blush:

Good luck & Best wishes......

Yes, yes your correct OP. I'm sure many have a select set of musical artists from decades ago. :cool:

Beatles, Stones, PaulMcarthney & wings, JLennon, EJohn, JGiles, Aerosmith, Allman Bros.band,etc.
Those are certainly my type of artists. Next to Sinatra, of course.
Soon I'd speculate they'll be oldies! Unless they already are:blush:

Good luck & Best wishes......

And, what's old can become new again, and now old again as in the case of AMERICAN WOMAN by Guess Who and then Lenny Kravitz. Daughter ca. '99 loved the Kravitz version (as she was totally unaware of the original - until I played it for her.) It was one of our true "bonding" experiences - something we needed about that time as she was "growing up" which meant she was a teen pita some times and I was the stereotypical dinosaur - and we needed a way to "interpret" between old dad and young daughter. Thanks Burton and Lenny! I really needed that.

I see you also like Mumford and Sons. Tried out Of Monsters and Men and LOVE them.

Yeah I discovered them randomly myself and really like their album "My head is an animal" check it out

I love both versions. Grew up on the Guess Who (NTM the Who) and then loved Lenny Kravitz when he came along.

Am always looking for something new to like and appreciate. Pop music tends to sound like all-alike club music (electronic beat, repetitive words, no real melody or lyrics), and then suddenly, something stands out.

Although the pop music of the 90's is probably my favorite, I hope I never get to the point where I say, "Anything past [Date] is garbage! I won't listen to it!"

And, what's old can become new again, and now old again as in the case of AMERICAN WOMAN by Guess Who and then Lenny Kravitz. Daughter ca. '99 loved the Kravitz version (as she was totally unaware of the original - until I played it for her.)

Here goes:

Hadn’t heard that Sugarloaf song in very long time.

You know that 60s/70s music goes well with certain recreational drugs so I’m not sure these young folks are getting the full experience.

I get a big kick out of 60s/70s rock and roll that uses a lot of organ. I have my own “Flower Power” playlist.

I enjoyed Sting in The Police, along with the work of Andy Summers. Up until then power trios were dominated by the guitar, but Summers' style was not so in-your-face. That put Sting's vocals out front.

Summers' most recent album is "Triboluminescence," from 2017. Worth a listen if you're into guitar jazz/fusion.

Hadn’t heard that Sugarloaf song in very long time.

You know that 60s/70s music goes well with certain recreational drugs so I’m not sure these young folks are getting the full experience.

I get a big kick out of 60s/70s rock and roll that uses a lot of organ. I have my own “Flower Power” playlist.

They're making ample use of a recreational drug, but it's a distilled liquid. Have they ever trashed a song? I'm just asking.

Edit: BTW, Keith Emerson with the Nice really nailed that conversion of classical compositions into rock. Karelia Suite is one of my favorites.

Early Jon Lord also was pretty magical on the Hammond. I really prefer the band's early work before they decided to make hits.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom