feeling frustrated

ecowtent

Recycles dryer sheets
I sent in my overly vague email to discuss retiring with my boss on Monday with no response as of 1:30 on Friday other than a quick mention on a call on Tuesday. He had to take another "more important call" and said we should talk. Now nothing. I have worked here 22 years and am the SVP/Controller for an office that both the CFO and CEO live out of state. I had previously addressed by phone as my boss (the CFO) had not been in for 2.5 years and I could not wait any longer. I know this is a tactic he uses and I know he doesn't really want me to retire because it will inconvenience him, BUT I am seriously frustrated as now it is just plain rude.

I don't want to do anything rash, not for his sake, but because my replacement isn't quite ready yet. I sent in my plan to start using PTO weekly and how I plan to hand over more tasks. Do I go with full speed ahead and ignore this latest tactic?:facepalm::mad::banghead:

M

I sent in my overly vague email to discuss retiring with my boss on Monday with no response as of 1:30 on Friday other than a quick mention on a call on Tuesday. He had to take another "more important call" and said we should talk. Now nothing. I have worked here 22 years and am the SVP/Controller for an office that both the CFO and CEO live out of state. I had previously addressed by phone as my boss (the CFO) had not been in for 2.5 years and I could not wait any longer. I know this is a tactic he uses and I know he doesn't really want me to retire because it will inconvenience him, BUT I am seriously frustrated as now it is just plain rude.

I don't want to do anything rash, not for his sake, but because my replacement isn't quite ready yet. I sent in my plan to start using PTO weekly and how I plan to hand over more tasks. Do I go with full speed ahead and ignore this latest tactic?:facepalm::mad::banghead:
M

Yes, he was just plain rude. And yes, you should go with full speed ahead and ignore his dumb response to your email.

Is there a date in your email, as in your last work date? If not, I'd re-send, and include it in the title, with something pithy like "sorry we weren't able to touch base, fyi..."

Then proceed as planned.

Is there a date in your email, as in your last work date? If not, I'd re-send, and include it in the title, with something pithy like "sorry we weren't able to touch base, fyi..."

Then proceed as planned.

This.

At this point why do you care what he thinks? The worst he can do is fire you and if he does that simplifies everything.

Ecowtent, interesting scenario and sounds familiar. After several weeks delays and meeting postponements for various reasons i.e. he had unplanned business travel, he then got Covid, I finally had my meeting with my boss.
I suppose this is an "unwanted" conversation to have with a valued, long time senior member of their staff.
The conversation was positive and I emphasized that I was discussing this with him now as I did not want to put him or the company in a difficult position regarding replacement or reassignment of my functions. I didn't give him a specific date that I planned to retire, just that it would be within the next 12 months. I have not finalized a date that I want to retire yet.
I agree with your attitude of "not wanting to do anything rash". I would make another attempt to set up a time to meet with him about it and handle it in the professional way you attempted. If after a reasonable time, he still hasn't met with you, I would go to HR and "file the papers" to retire.
All you can do is try.
Good luck.

This.

At this point why do you care what he thinks? The worst he can do is fire you and if he does that simplifies everything.

Yep. Move forward with your plan. You have nothing to lose. No need to be frustrated. Have a good weekend and hit the plan starting Monday.

Is this going to matter at all when you're gone, sitting on your front porch enjoying retirement - NO? Whether your boss is being rude or not, be professional but take the high road and give him/her your date and plan re: training a replacement - period. Training a replacement and timing is their problem not yours within reason, especially since your boss is too busy for you. You're an employee no matter what your position, they're not friends or family.

I gave plenty of notice and left on my terms, and in retrospect I feel great about how I left. I didn't engage with those who tried to provoke me on the way out (and those people will exist for most of us), why play games with selfish, jealous losers. You'll regret it later.

We all know the feeling, I can guarantee you once you’re established in retirement, you won't miss the petty BS that's bothering you now...

Last edited:
they're not friends or family.

I can guarantee you once your established in retirement, you won't miss the petty BS that's bothering you now...

This ^^^^^

I sent in my overly vague email...

Maybe the "overly vague" is the issue? If it was not perceived as being direct, it might have been perceived as something you do not have a plan for yet, and/or perhaps are not sure of. In that case it might not seem like it is a priority for you, therefor not a priority for your boss.

My first reaction was as those before me....tell him your gone. But.....you have 22 years invested so don't let this bosses behavior make you do something you could regret. Who knows........maybe the company is selling out and a payday awaits or that MIA CFO is retiring and they need your talents. I'd suggest you give him a firm drop dead time and date to respond to your messages. If then you are not satisfied then I'd move on. What is a few more days gonna hurt after 22 years.

Im maybe too optimistic but I'd hear them out then be firm. Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would come and talk to the boss (or call him on Teams or whatever you use if he is remote), rather than sending emails, etc. If he is not available for a brief talk, schedule a time for 1:1 or use your regular 1:1 slot if applicable.

I did something similar - sent an overly vague email which got about the same response as that of OP. Then I sent a resignation email with a specific retirement date. That got a reaction, and things went smoothly from that point forward.

I suspect that OP's boss would be more attentive if OP sent an email with more specifics.

As to the replacement not being ready - I agree with others here - that is not OP's problem.

Thank you all for the comments. Planning to use a few on my response. I was vague and didn't add a date because I didn't want the CFO to have to tell the board as I am a key employee. I was hoping to ease out over the next few months. However, this certainly reminds that even though he asks for a years notice it isn’t a good idea.

M

Thank you all for the comments. Planning to use a few on my response. I was vague and didn't add a date because I didn't want the CFO to have to tell the board as I am a key employee. I was hoping to ease out over the next few months. However, this certainly reminds that even though he asks for a years notice it isn’t a good idea.

M

What is your contractual obligation? I'd start there.

-ERD50

No contractual obligation. We are small and I am HR which leaves no one but the CFO and CEO to discuss or file. I am sending a follow up with a date. We shall see how it plays out. Thank you all.

Send a written notice of 30 days by certified mail return receipt.

So your telling him almost a year ahead that you plan to do this? So in reality it wasn’t very pressing. I thought you were meaning within a month or two.

he asks for a years notice it isn’t a good idea.

You seem to realize that they will ask for as much as they think they can get, but it's not their decision; it's yours. Make up your mind and stick to it. Think of what they would do if you got hit by a truck tomorrow. Any lead time you give them beyond that is due to your kindness, so take care of yourself.

No contractual obligation. We are small and I am HR which leaves no one but the CFO and CEO to discuss or file. I am sending a follow up with a date. We shall see how it plays out. Thank you all.

Well, if you are HR, you should be setting the rules!

Give them 1 day notice, and if they don't like it, tell them you will stay 2 weeks to get something official (like 2 weeks) into future contracts.

It just doesn't seem right to not have something in writing, along with the consequences of leaving with insufficient notice.

-ERD50

I agree with the replacement not being ready is not the OP`s problem.....but..... as someone who has been with a company for 30 plus years you want to see it transition as easy as you can.

I'm in a field that takes a good 10 years to master your craft and unfortunately we have not had a influx of people coming into the field the last 10+years, lots of gray hair people sitting around the table.

I too have been in discussions about the next 5 years when I plan to step down, it can be frustrating at times. They know what my time frame is, my plan is to give them a 1 month hard dead line when "I`m" ready.

I agree with the replacement not being ready is not the OP`s problem.....but..... as someone who has been with a company for 30 plus years you want to see it transition as easy as you can.

I'm in a field that takes a good 10 years to master your craft and unfortunately we have not had a influx of people coming into the field the last 10+years, lots of gray hair people sitting around the table.

I too have been in discussions about the next 5 years when I plan to step down, it can be frustrating at times. They know what my time frame is, my plan is to give them a 1 month hard dead line when "I`m" ready.

I look at this way - by throwing out a 2 week notice, I'd be helping them realize they need to take these things seriously. If an employee is difficult to replace, they better have a plan. That employee can become unavailable in many other ways than retiring/quitting (illness, a personal commitment that takes them away from the job, the proverbial 'hit by a bus', etc).

It's just poor business practice to not have this spelled out in a contract, and to not have a replacement plan.

I'm in a field that takes a good 10 years to master your craft-
all the more reason for them to be prepared! If it was an easy replacement, the company could wing it, but in this case, they better get their act together! Either pay the $$$ to attract/train people, or just let yourself be exposed to this very real risk.

as someone who has been with a company for 30 plus years you want to see it transition as easy as you can.

But the irony here is, apparently the company isn't all that concerned about the transition, or they would have a plan in place!

There have been numerous threads like this, and in almost every single case, the company just sits on it, until the last moment. The advance notice does nothing but delay the inevitable.

-ERD50

Last edited:
It always strikes me as odd, the amount of hand wringing over giving notice to retire... None of it would seem smart or reasonable if you were resigning for a new job.

No one would ever ask:
"Should I give my boss a heads up that I'm looking at a position in another company?"

Or, when offered a position by a new employer, and asked "So when can you start?" - imagine saying...Uh well I have to ask my current boss and give them time to replace me of course...

One year notice, even 6 months notice seems way too long to me, unless it is written in a contract.
If they were going to lay you off or fire you, they certainly wouldn't give you that much notice! They have contingency plans to replace you at the moment.
2-4 weeks seems plenty to me, if there is no requirement.

I had to give 3 months notice, due to pension. I kept waiting for someone to be hired for me to train. Nope! Not until I was gone, then I was asked back on call to train, so they had to pay double salaries:facepalm:

It always strikes me as odd, the amount of hand wringing over giving notice to retire... None of it would seem smart or reasonable if you were resigning for a new job.

No one would ever ask:
"Should I give my boss a heads up that I'm looking at a position in another company?"

Or, when offered a position by a new employer, and asked "So when can you start?" - imagine saying...Uh well I have to ask my current boss and give them time to replace me of course...

Excellent! :clap:

-ERD50

Well, if you are HR, you should be setting the rules!

Give them 1 day notice, and if they don't like it, tell them you will stay 2 weeks to get something official (like 2 weeks) into future contracts.

It just doesn't seem right to not have something in writing, along with the consequences of leaving with insufficient notice.

-ERD50
+1
I would get everything in writing with specific dates that either you choose or what is required by the contract. I would do this before the meeting and a follow up after the meeting outlining what was discussed. Emails that show the date sent should be a good method to request the meeting or date of retiring since they can be CC'd and can't be misplaced. If for some reason you don't get a response within what you consider a reasonable time that you included in the email then another can be sent with the original email attached. After that I would have my things packed to leave on the date I provided.

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom