feeling frustrated

I can understand your feelings being a long time and a valuable part of the company and all. I also know that companies know that a replacement for retiring people in most cases isn't a problem there is one right around the corner.

I would think they will be getting back to you soon. The thing is to just move on and start your new job of retirement and concentrate on your life going forward. No matter how great and important one is to an organization, when you leave they move on, and you don't. That can be the hard part when you have committed your life to them.

2-4 weeks seems plenty to me, if there is no requirement.... I had to give 3 months notice, due to pension.

Like Pacergal, I was required to submit for my retirement 90-120 days before. I gave them 120 days... Plus had to give a written resignation letter prior to 30 days as a supervisor. I had let the director know for a year that I was going... and then they tried multiple ways to get me to stay when I actually filed my paperwork...
Don't let them try to guilt you into changing your plans, make sure you meet any of the company's written requirements, and make sure you have back up confirmation of any paperwork.... I both printed and forwarded myself all emails... funny how my work email just disappeared..
Good luck

It always strikes me as odd, the amount of hand wringing over giving notice to retire... None of it would seem smart or reasonable if you were resigning for a new job.

No one would ever ask:
"Should I give my boss a heads up that I'm looking at a position in another company?"

Or, when offered a position by a new employer, and asked "So when can you start?" - imagine saying...Uh well I have to ask my current boss and give them time to replace me of course...

Very good point indeed. It would be different if you signed something and were required to give longer notice; otherwise, there is really no reason to give them heads-up. Having said that, I did tell my boss I could stay for a couple of months and I did. I thought I could hire my replacement and train them, but strangely, my boss didn't do anything until it was close to my quitting day. I felt that I didn't have to stay those two months really. People get laid off all the time, and nobody blinks an eye about it, so quitting is pretty much the same thing.

Not sure how big your company is but you should alert your human rss department. Your boss may be the ostrich with his head in the sand, but your HR department will act on your end date. They'll be the folks who put your exit package together, not your boss.

My suggestion to OP:
1) Do you have a specific date you want to retire?
If yes, then send an email (plus a certified letter if you're so inclined) stating:
Dear XXXXX: "First, the 'business stuff.' I will be retiring effective close of business Friday August 26, 2022. Second, it has been a wonderful career and I enjoyed my years here. Please let me know when we can discuss any transition plans you wish me to be involved with."

2) If you don't have a specific date, don't send any email about retirement until you do have a date in mind.

Not sure how big your company is but you should alert your human rss department. Your boss may be the ostrich with his head in the sand, but your HR department will act on your end date. They'll be the folks who put your exit package together, not your boss.

See post 15.

OP is the HR department.

See post 15.

OP is the HR department.

And therefore OP is just going to have to write his own story on how to exit the company. Being explicit with the few people above him is key. Keeping in mind that anyone could be gone tomorrow will help.

And therefore OP is just going to have to write his own story on how to exit the company. Being explicit with the few people above him is key. Keeping in mind that anyone could be gone tomorrow will help.

According to her profile, OP is female.

Excellent suggestions. I utilized a few in my email requesting a call and adding a retirement date. We had the call and he regretted not following up last week. We tentatively set a retirement date. The CEO wanted a call today to discuss further and my boss had an emergency and postponed until tomorrow. However, I am feeling much better as the date is out there and I have also set forth a plan for consulting. Agree with everyone that I need to be firm, but want to help with the transition. November cannot come soon enough!

My husband is a Professor of Accounting and he will retire in May. I do and he teaches accounting! I will miss talking about the exciting field of accounting:cool:. He wants to build a wooden sailboat and learn to sail. I want to watch the Tour in the countryside of France next year. It is actually sooner than originally thought and have some planning to do for my list of projects.

M

According to her profile, OP is female.

Sorry. She is going to have to write her own story and be explicit with the few people above her.

HTH

It always strikes me as odd, the amount of hand wringing over giving notice to retire... None of it would seem smart or reasonable if you were resigning for a new job.

No one would ever ask:
"Should I give my boss a heads up that I'm looking at a position in another company?"

Or, when offered a position by a new employer, and asked "So when can you start?" - imagine saying...Uh well I have to ask my current boss and give them time to replace me of course...

I realize it's very different in Megacorp vs closely held business. Having said that, I had told my boss for a year that I didn't want a certain assignment. I'm not sure he took me seriously and I could see it coming. Boss had farmed out some of our w*rk, leaving us all vulnerable to be farmed out ourselves. When the inevitable happened on a Friday, I talked it over with DW over the week end and told Boss the next Tuesday (day after Labor Day) that Friday was my last day in the office. My saved vacation was my 3 week "notice" and I would answer the phone or even come in if need be prior to leaving at end of month. My departure created a minor tizzy because such things just weren't done at Megacorp. Actually, I know they were sometimes done that way as I knew of one guy who called in his retirement from his vacation!

Advice to OP. Be fair to your empl*yer but look out for yourself.

I sent in my overly vague email to discuss retiring with my boss on Monday with no response as of 1:30 on Friday other than a quick mention on a call on Tuesday. He had to take another "more important call" and said we should talk. Now nothing. I have worked here 22 years and am the SVP/Controller for an office that both the CFO and CEO live out of state. I had previously addressed by phone as my boss (the CFO) had not been in for 2.5 years and I could not wait any longer. I know this is a tactic he uses and I know he doesn't really want me to retire because it will inconvenience him, BUT I am seriously frustrated as now it is just plain rude.

I don't want to do anything rash, not for his sake, but because my replacement isn't quite ready yet. I sent in my plan to start using PTO weekly and how I plan to hand over more tasks. Do I go with full speed ahead and ignore this latest tactic?:facepalm::mad::banghead:

M

I agree he was rude not to acknowledge your email even if it was vague as you said. I would say though that as a SVP, these things are often gradual so he may have some assumptions that you may not be on board with and may be trying to work out plan before talking with you. I'd say cut some slack and give him a couple of weeks.

I am facing a dilemma myself. I am about 1.75 years from my last day. Thay is too early to give notice but not too early to start telegraphing to let the organization prepare. I am not as important as you but I do play an important role in strategic planning for the organization so I think it would be good to transition that over the next year to get someone else up to speed.

I found out this week that my boss has a health issue and I would not be too surprised if he retires in the next year and I may follow him out.

I want to minimize disruption but am at a point where I could give 2 weeks notice and be fine financially. So it has become a matter of how much notice to give both informally and formally.

Back
Top Bottom