For old-timers on ER.org

Gosh, I joined 18 years ago and have seen many members come and go. I took a year or so off myself while doing lots of international travel. In the folder holding my will and various instructions for my heirs, I request that my passing be reported here.

(bolded by me) Great idea, Alan. I appreciated imolderthanu, and I believe another members family (moe?) and khan, who did notify the forum. That was so thoughtful of them.

It's not just the financial information. It's all the other things people at this site know about. Do you want to take a road trip to Bigrock, TX? Somebody here can tell you were to stay, eat, and what attractions are available. Is your garage door opener occasionally opening your garage when you aren't home? Somebody here probably can give you tips on what to check.

This site is so much more than plain old money.

Absolutely. I value all of the information, jokes, etc that I read here. This really is a community.

TromboneAl. Remember Dory36, Cute Fuzzy Bunny, Nords, Janet H, Martha, Rich by the Bay among others? The only old hands I still see regularly are REW and W2R.

Thanks. :flowers:

I feel like I've been retired for fourteen years with no financial problems, so at the very least I have a good, solid start in my retirement finances (thanks to everyone here and at Bogleheads).

So why do I stay? Simple. IMO the members of this forum are unusually intelligent and observant. If I need/want to listen to discussion or advice on any matter whatsoever, at least here I know those responding to my posts are high quality, OK, actually brilliant, folks. They may not always be right but they have uncommonly great mental capabilities and in their responses they give it their best shot.

I started out on the "Vanguard Diehards" forum over on Morningstar, and then saw the drama unfolding over there that led to Bogleheads and then the ER Forum branching off. Holy cow. I have "been around the internet", and it seemed pretty apparent to me that soon I needed to jump.

As time passed I lurked here for quite a while before joining, because I knew I couldn't retire before age 61 and I didn't think that was particularly early (for this group, anyway). So although I liked the atmosphere here better than any of the other retirement forums, I didn't think I'd be welcome. I even asked if I would be welcome in one of my first posts and somebody said "oh sure, that's OK!" So I joined and here I am. :greetings10:

Nords what's up with your wife's activities at the Pearl Harbor National Memorial?

[Yes, I am a long timer. I espicially miss Rich by the Sea.]

So why do I stay? Simple. IMO the members of this forum are unusually intelligent and observant. If I need/want to listen to discussion or advice on any matter whatsoever, at least here I know those responding to my posts are high quality, OK, actually brilliant, folks. They may not always be right but they have uncommonly great mental capabilities and in their responses they give it their best shot.

That's the key, I think.
I've always liked the part in our Community Rules that says
People who are professionals in a variety of fields post on this forum and share their general knowledge. Many of them are brilliant. Some are doofi.

Reactions: W2R
I predominately lurk, so I'm not missed. Been "officially" retired for 17 years and have settled into a routine. Some travel; lot of hobbies; fishing; and doing things around the area. I've developed a group of local construction companies; handymen; electricians; etc. to get us through the rough spots. Next big purchase is a new vehicle and we're researching what will work for my wife's pottery sales. Consumer Reports and lots of other information available to review.

I retired from being a "contract engineer" where I got to find a new job every three to five years. Thus, no pension and little 401k. IRA saved us by putting in the maximum for the last 25 or so years.

I have enjoyed this forum for a few years now and will continue to lurk and contribute when I can.

Does anyone remember veremchuka? I don't remember a great deal about him (I think he was a feller), but do remember that he was admirably candid about dealing with depression. As impressive as his honesty, was the amount of support and empathy he received here. I notice that he hasn't been active here since 2014. Hopefully he's OK.

I miss freebird5825. I always enjoyed her posts.

It looks like the last time she stopped by was in 2021.

Nords what's up with your wife's activities at the Pearl Harbor National Memorial?

[Yes, I am a long timer. I espicially miss Rich by the Sea.]
A long timer with a good memory!

She left that gig over a decade ago. She agreed to be the Interim CEO for precisely six months, and she finished the turnover with the new guy a day before her deadline. She'd seen & done enough.

I think everyone associated with that era has moved on. She has too. The Memorial seems to be doing fine.

I started out with some of the old timers on the Motley Fool's early retirement board back in the 90's. Then, when MF decided to charge for participation, I followed many of them over to John Greaney's Retire Early Home Page. In the early days, I just read what others had to say. The only post I can recall making was a suggestion you should try to construct your own model, because then you would have a better understanding of all the factors that go into it. Once this board started, I lurked here, but I was very busy working at that time, so I did not actually join and start posting until 2006.

Yeah, I accidentally found Greeny's site first and then came over here - but only as a lurker. I was using Megacorp's computer, so tried to keep it on the down-low. Once retired, I didn't buy a home computer until '08 when I joined.

I still treasure the good advice I picked up back then as I was a good saver but lousy investor. Much good fun, fellowship and learning opportunity here. Oh, and, of course, there was the "H" word too, but...

Old Timers rule!

Anyone remember CFB (CuteFuzzyBunny)? As I recall he left to "spend more time with his family." His kid should be about done with high school now.

I just remembered Brewer12345. He was a very prolific, candid posting member. Not sure when he stopped posting, not in public profile?

I just remembered Brewer12345. He was a very prolific, candid posting member. Not sure when he stopped posting, not in public profile?

I'm just going to guess his leaving had to do with the contentious subjects of those times. There were a lot of people who left during that time of unpleasantness, and others who were public about it such as Mdlerth.

I personally left for a few months after reading some stuff regarding encouragement of hoarding and other unpleasant behaviors. Took a self imposed time out to cool off.

I'm just going to guess his leaving had to do with the contentious subjects of those times. There were a lot of people who left during that time of unpleasantness, and others who were public about it such as Mdlerth.

I personally left for a few months after reading some stuff regarding encouragement of hoarding and other unpleasant behaviors. Took a self imposed time out to cool off.
If you guys really "need" to know why Brewer12345 left, just PM me. Or maybe it's best to just say, he was not a happy camper w/ER.org at that time. We traded PM's exactly 3 years ago on why he was leaving (well almost 3 yrs 11/16/20)

I hope he'll return someday, but it's been awhile now.

Last edited:
There are a lot of characters I wish were still around so we could hear their idiosyncratic voices. I had forgotten about CFB until someone mentioned him here. Brewer was always my go to guy on insurance company questions. I always liked OAP's handle (short for Old Age Pensioner) and wished I could steal it but too late, he already owns it.

If you guys really "need" to know why Brewer12345 left, just PM me. Or maybe it's best to just say, he was not a happy camper w/ER.org at that time. We traded PM's exactly 3 years ago on why he was leaving (well almost 3 yrs 11/16/20)

Yup not a good ending for him IIRC. Was put on timeout for something and then when was restored, he never posted again.

Yup not a good ending for him IIRC. Was put on timeout for something and then when was restored, he never posted again.
It's sort of like some marriages or best friends get into disagreements from time to time (normal) and then sometimes they just don't work at all anymore and part ways.

Last edited:
There are a lot of characters I wish were still around so we could hear their idiosyncratic voices. I had forgotten about CFB until someone mentioned him here. Brewer was always my go to guy on insurance company questions. I always liked OAP's handle (short for Old Age Pensioner) and wished I could steal it but too late, he already owns it.

theOAP is British, where the equivalent of SS is the OAP and those of us in the UK receiving it are known as OAPs. (Old Age Pensioners).

He lives in the UK as a retiree so I guess this site is a lot less useful to him these days.

https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f29/medicare-for-overseas-retirees-100617.html

It's sort of like some marriages or best friends get into disagreements from time to time (normal) and then sometimes they just don't work at all anymore and part ways.

True, especially when there are no repercussions from leaving the "relationship".

I miss Brewer too. He lives in a suburb of Denver. We met when DH and I visited Colorado. Several years ago I prevailed on him to review the annuity held by an elderly relative who lives in Fort Collins and was being solicated by a 'financial advisor' to 'update' it. Brewer met that gal, reviewed that contract and advised her to stay put. A GREAT guy who has pulled back from socializing in the last couple years.

Brewer12345 had a lot of great insights and information, and since he was a brewer, we had some exchanges on that. But as I recall, a pretty big ego as well (some probably deserved, it seems he had some significant accomplishments under his belt). But he could get pretty worked up and lash out and get pretty abrasive on some topics, probably in a way that would not be tolerated for long by the mods today.

I don't remember the specifics around his leaving (and don't care to dig that up), but I know he was posting about arguments with his wife, and IIRC, how he had zero respect for her profession (psychiatrist/counselor I think?), it was all hokum, etc. and he seemed to have no qualms about expressing that to his wife. Sounds like trouble.

I think he just got upset at having to keep things within the mods guidelines (which were even looser back then, I think), and he moved on. He was an excitable guy.

One thing I do recall, when some posters say something to the effect that "nobody is going to change their mind", I can use him as an example. I, along with many, always had thought that 'leaving the bank the keys' if you found yourself owing more on your mortgage than the house was worth (house has depreciated significantly) was 'wrong' and 'un-ethical'. Because no one ever said, "Hey, I made a lot of money on my house, I'll share it with the bank!".

But Brewer12345 changed my mind on that, and gave a very clear breakdown - you have a contract with the bank. If you don't make your payments, they can take the house. Period. So let them. They have that all factored into the interest rates they charge, so it's just business. Don't make it personal. To be clear, that doesn't include stripping the place for copper pipes, or even not maintaining the place - that's all in the contract as well, and you should be held liable for that.

-ERD50

Also meadbh. I really appreciated her posts, but one day just said good-bye, and it wasn't clear to me why.

-ERD50

I think he just got upset at having to keep things within the mods guidelines (which were even looser back then, I think),

You touched on some things here. And it is one reason I am on a trigger to bail myself. There's been a shift here on this board. Discussion has gotten narrower.

I'll stop with that.

I started out with some of the old timers on the Motley Fool's early retirement board back in the 90's. Then, when MF decided to charge for participation, I followed many of them over to John Greaney's Retire Early Home Page. In the early days, I just read what others had to say. The only post I can recall making was a suggestion you should try to construct your own model, because then you would have a better understanding of all the factors that go into it. Once this board started, I lurked here, but I was very busy working at that time, so I did not actually join and start posting until 2006.

Yeah, I was on the Motley Fool board back with Intercst etc. I lost track when the Motley Fool became pay for access to the forums, and while I occasionally read the Retire Early Home Page in the intervening years, it wasn't until I stumbled across Early-Retirement.org that I reconnected with the community. I think I lurked here for 4 years before I finally made an account and actually started posting... :p

Back
Top Bottom