George Foreman Grill?

cj

Full time employment: Posting here.
Does anyone have one of these things?  We're trying to eat healthier, and we're thinking about getting one, but don't necessarily want just another addition to the useless-appliance graveyard.  Do you have one?  Do you use it? 

Thanks!
CJ

We use one all the time, and have for years.

I have one.   It was a gift, or I wouldn't have probably bought it.  It's one of the smaller size ones.  Handles about two chicken breasts - but they come out really dry.  Probably wouldn't be so bad if they were marinated first or something.  I hear a lot of people use them frequently -  I should give it a shot again...

I know they're good for grilled cheese sandwiches.

cj said:
Does anyone have one of these things?  We're trying to eat healthier, and we're thinking about getting one...

Yup, I use it to make grilled cheese sandwiches.

Ooooooooo, grilled cheese! OK, sign me up!!! :eek:

I've been doing the low carb diet thing for several years and use the George Foreman grill nearly every night. They work great but the non-stick surface is really thin and wears away pretty fast. Once that happens, cleaning the grill becomes a real chore. I just throw them out after about six months and buy another one. I think I'm on my fifth one now.

Grumpy

I was given the small version. It does a pretty good job. Great for single people. Grill some chicken in just a few minutes, add a salad and your in business. I probably get the bigger version at some point.

I swear by mine. It's a small two burger type.

Ham, swiss chesse, Jewish rye, butter spray both sides. :eek:

Teflon is thin though. So buy the cheapest and replace every 6 months.

I have a similar concept,hamilton Beach, from Sears, and yes it does come in handy, especially if you are cooking for one or two people.

Howard, for someone so critical of others...

Howard said:
That is the longest Run On Sentence I have ever read.

Howard said:
it is BERTH not BIRTH.

...you certainly make a lot of mistakes of your own:

Howard said:
New Zealand is quaint oi visit, but after awhile it can be boring.

Howard said:
One major differance, in my day the final exams were marked offsite and the papers were numbered so markers did not know th students identity, today the Teachers mark their own students.

Howard said:
Australia, like a lot of other countries, will discriminate against Citizens from North America and europe, in favour of otther areas of the world.

Howard said:
I have a similar concept,hamilton Beach, from Sears, and yes it does come in handy, especially if you are cooking for one or two people.

I found those four examples by looking at your last 12 posts. I'm sure there are many more, but I have better things to do than sit around and point out the errors of others. It would be nice if you also found more productive ways to spend your time.

We started with a smaller one and graduated to a larger one. We use ours frequently also.

Dreamer

We've also graduated to a larger one with removable plates. This one has waffle plates, flat, and panini plates. We use them all.

Add me to the endorsers. I found that I wasn’t too crazy about the meat prepared on GFG, but I use it for veggies- onions, hot peppers, bell peppers, garlic, sliced turnips,etc. Dip the veggies in olive oil first.

I put my meat in a skillet, but almost always make some veg on the GFG. Agree that large is best, even for one person, and get removable plates.

Ha

I know this is off topic, but you did mention eating healthier. Our Costco carries an older version of Jack LaLannes power juicer at a discount. Get past the huxsterism (the same as Foreman's) and you have an even healthier alternative. The downsides are you blow through the fruit and veggies($$$) and the afterjuice clean-up (insert sick pun here). If you are interested, buy one with a wide mouth so you don't have the extra inconvenience of cutting everything up to juice.

I have a GE brand double grill, similar to the George Foreman and I use it regularly.

I marinade chicken and salmon and grill them, takes about 5 or 6 minutes.

The grills are removable and go in the dishwasher. I would replace mine if it broke; it's that good.
I've grilled hamburgers and steak in it too. Never thought to try grilled cheese, good idea.

I agree with Ha! Great for veggies, I especially love asparagus on the GF grill.

What are the advantages of a GF-type grill over one of those grill pans that you heat up over a burner?

(I have never used either. I send DH out into the cold to fire up the gas BBQ if I really have grilling in mind.)

I imagine you don't have to turn the food, but beside that...? Any thoughts?

The Geroge Foreman grill is great for preparing a meal for one or two people. I am careful to use a spatula that will not damage the teflon so mine has a couple years of useage. The newer ones with the removal grills sounds good but you will need to take care and not clean it with abrasive metal scrubbies.

I really like the tilted design with the catch treys to reduce reduce the fat. The cooking time is fast, just right for a single guy who hates to cook for one. The amount of smoke is minimal if you use extra lean meats but I use it within range of the exhaust fan above my stove.

Overall I give it a thumbs up. I suggest beginning with the cheapest model.

I loved my George Foremen until I started grilling salmon in it. I had to throw it away because of the permanent fishy smell :p We now use a grill on top of the stove and it works wonders. No fishy smell when trying to grill chicken and vice versa. Plus, the on the stove grill can be put in the oven for a few minutes after the initial grilling.

Wow, thanks for the great input! There is one on sale (cheap) at Kohl's that I'm going to look at today ($29.99, then 15% off due to the sale...) If I try it and hate it, I won't have lost much. But I can see where the removable grill feature would be helpful.

I knew I'd get good info from all of you. :D

Thanks!
CJ

Anyone want to know the secret for using your George Foreman grill without having to clean it later?

My father taught me this trick, so he gets all the credit. Tear a piece of aluminum foil that is sufficient to just cover the upper and lower plates with enough "play" in the middle to be tucked into the hinge. Place the foil shiny side down on the grill (i.e. with the dull side up). Press the foil into the plates so that it molds to them. Fold the corners of the lower part inward, so that the lower part is no wider than the grease catcher tray. Fold the upper part over the top edge of the grill (where the lift handle is). Spray the foil with non-stick cooking spray. Put your food (e.g. burgers) on the lower foil-covered grill plate and close the lid. Fold the sides of the foil upwards to avoid the fat leaking out the sides.

Voila -- you have a completely disposable aluminum foil "liner" for your Foreman grill that you can throw away once you're done cooking. No need for a messy clean-up, and the teflon on the grill stays intact.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom