Getting paid for idleness

MichaelB

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
I just saw this in The Guardian. My first thought was “our members would win this, hands down”. Next was “we should be the judges. We get this better than anyone else.” From the article https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2...for-best-inactivity?__twitter_impression=true

A German university is offering “idleness grants” to applicants who are seriously committed to doing sweet nothing.
./.
The application form consists of only four questions: What do you not want to do? For how long do you not want to do it? Why is it important not to do this thing in particular? Why are you the right person not to do it?

Doing nothing isn’t very easy,” said Friedrich von Borries, an architect and design theorist who came up with the programme. “We want to focus on active inactivity.

I do like that last term, “active inactivity”.

"All of humanity’s problems stem from one thing alone, not knowing how to sit quietly in a room alone."
-- Pascal, 1654

I couldn't do it.

I'm more like the type of shark (obligate ram ventilator) that needs to keep moving.

I'd win that contest hands down!!!! Just give me the prize now.

This caligraphy is the first thing I see coming out of my bedroom in the morning.

It says, "The person of value is the one who has nothing to do," which has nothing to do with sitting around doing nothing, nor with keeping busy all the time. Definitely not easy. :blink:

Attachments

• P1010732.JPG
    P1010732.JPG
    152.5 KB · Views: 63
That is what has been so great about getting pensions, even those ours aren't huge. They have felt like getting paid to do nothing. It is even better now with Social Security.

Last edited:
That is what has been so great about getting pensions, even those our's aren't huge. They have felt like getting paid to do nothing. It is even better now with Social Security.

Actually you have to do something and that is live.
Like doing sit up's, it gets harder the longer you do it. ;)

Actually you have to do something and that is live.
Like doing sit up's, it gets harder the longer you do it. ;)

We took survivors benefits on each other's pensions, so technically I don't even have to keep living for DH to keep receiving my pension checks. :)

This subject reminds me of BTO's "Takin' Care of Business."

I especially like:

If you ever get annoyed
Look at me I'm self-employed
I love to work at nothing all day

What a sentiment!

YMMV

I remember, as a kid, thinking that was the best line.

This subject reminds me of BTO's "Takin' Care of Business."

I especially like:

If you ever get annoyed
Look at me I'm self-employed
I love to work at nothing all day

What a sentiment!

YMMV

Nobody is better at idling away the day that I am.

FWIW, this response has been written by a BOT. I can't be bothered to get out of my hammock and write it myself.

Last edited:
From the article:

All applications will form part of an exhibition named The School of Inconsequentiality.

My alma mater.

Well I have a complaint about idleness... I don't get paid for sick days, holidays, or vacation days!

It ain't right, I tell ya.

What a great challenge - I found the concluding question compelling: “What can I refrain from so that my life has fewer negative consequences on the lives of others?”

Back
Top Bottom