Going to change phone plans

Time2

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Finally getting both my kids off my dole.
I've been with Verizon, my wife has Republic Wireless. RW has been bought by Dish Network. They have new pricing with a 50% discount if you have a Dish satellite receiver. Expensive if you don't. The still have lower pricing for the RW Legacy customers.
Does anyone know if I can get the legacy pricing if I add a phone to my wife's account?
Is there another suggestion for a low priced unlimited plan?

Thanks

... Is there another suggestion for a low priced unlimited plan? ...
I think your question has to be more nuanced than that. For example, we are on the Google Fi basic plan. It works very well for us because we use very little data (data is $10/gig) and we value highly the extensive international coverage. But their numbers would probably not be attractive for someone who uses a lot of data and doesn't travel.

Edit: FWIW our Google Fi bill last month was about $47 for two phones including taxes and fees. There was $4.57 in there for the 0.46GB we used.

Last edited:
Or the T-Mobile 55 and over plan is a good value at $70/month with lots of perks, such as international data and basic Netflix.

I think your question has to be more nuanced than that. For example, we are on the Google Fi basic plan. It works very well for us because we use very little data (data is $10/gig) and we value highly the extensive international coverage. But their numbers would probably not be attractive for someone who uses a lot of data and doesn't travel.

Used 5 or 6 gigs the last two months and no travel. I'd like AT&T towers, but T-mobile seems to work fine.

We have T-Mobile's old fogie plan fixed at $60 for 2 lines including taxes.

My friend has Mint Mobile's basic $15 plan on his new iPhone and says it is equal or better than the old $120 AT&T plan he used to have.

Timely thread for us. We’ve been using Cricket. It’s inexpensive and has worked great. But we are wanting to start more international travel and cricket basically doesn’t work internationally.

Inexpensive providers that offer unlimited text/data and international presence that anyone recommends?

Take a look at US Mobile. Warp 5G is Verizon.

We have 5 lines and I went from Cricket to Mint a few years back.

This renewal cycle I am moving to US Mobile, Warp 5G plan to get back to Verizon towers.

Probably 4 unlimited lines for my wife and 3 kids and then a lower plan for me. I just do not use data that much.

One thing I like about US Mobile is better security/2 factor on their account. Also, they have a true family plan. Which may or may not help as you try to get kids off the dole.

Mint has been pretty good. Coverage is excellent in our area, but we have ventured to some areas with zero or virtually no coverage.

One kid in college has spotty coverage with T-Mobile.

I do like Mints ability to pay for the whole year in advance, but that also locks you into a whole year.

Give US Mobile a look.

I have been using the AT&T $300/year pre-paid for a few years now. Unlimited talk/text and 8 gigs of data per month (that will roll over for one 30 day period so you can have up to 16 gigs in "the bank" each month). I have been happy with it and have had no issues.

I may have replied to your other thread, but it might be worth looking into Visible. They use the Verizon network. and indeed are owned by Verizon. $25/month for unlimited calls and texting, and unlimited data. The data is prioritized however, so if there are many fully fledged Verizon customers on your tower, your data speed will slow down. If you use your phone as a hotspot, the speed through the hotspot is capped at 5Mbps.

I've been using them as my sole internet connection for 2 or 3 years now, and it has worked out well. Hard to beat $25/month for all that.

Timely thread for us. We’ve been using Cricket. It’s inexpensive and has worked great. But we are wanting to start more international travel and cricket basically doesn’t work internationally.

Inexpensive providers that offer unlimited text/data and international presence that anyone recommends?

You ask for a lot! Or did you mean which company offers this at the lowest price. I think a lot of us have gotten spoiled with the price of cell phone service and even cell phones. I fear we are in for a rude awakening...:cool:

I see a trend of companies piggybacking into Verizon towers. I'm on my daughter's Xfinity (comcast) which also uses Verizon towers. I'm sure Verizon likes the money but I see potential big problems over tower capacity.....you know the not Verizon customers will get throttled.

You are going to have such fun looking at all the amazing bargain prices on cell phone plans!

I have been using Cricket for five years. Since I never travel, I never even noticed the international problems MuirWannabe mentioned. I love Cricket because they never bother me and the charge is exactly $30.00/month, including taxes and fees, for unlimited talk and text and 2 GB data.

The only cell phone carrier I ever had before Cricket was Verizon, which I got back in the 1990's with my very first cell phone and then kept for maybe 20 years or so. They were OK for the time, but now that we have such great bargains available I don't miss Verizon (and their prices!) one little bit.

Finally getting both my kids off my dole.
I've been with Verizon, my wife has Republic Wireless. RW has been bought by Dish Network. They have new pricing with a 50% discount if you have a Dish satellite receiver. Expensive if you don't. The still have lower pricing for the RW Legacy customers.
Does anyone know if I can get the legacy pricing if I add a phone to my wife's account?

Thanks

I haven't got both kids off the dole but after much research I recently switched from Verizon to US Mobile. US Mobile has the option of using either the Verizon tower network or T-Mobile's network.

There is a thread detailing this here: https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f54/us-mobile-113865.html

If you want a feature laden unlimited plan I'd say US Mobile is your best choice. For two people you will pay $40+tax per line. "Unlimited" in this case means up to 100GB uncapped data (if you have a 5G phone) and 50GB hot spot data. (Verizon network. T-Mobile you don't get as much data.)

Maybe you don't need all that much data or a hot spot. US Mobile has a plan with 30GB data but no hot spot. For two people that would be $30+ tax per line.

You are going to have such fun looking at all the amazing bargain prices on cell phone plans!

Like MuirWannabe, I have been using Cricket for several years. Since I never travel, I never even noticed the international problems he mentioned. I love Cricket because they never bother me and the charge is exactly $30.00/month, including taxes and fees.

Oh boy, that is the first time I've seen fun and looking at cell phone plans in the same sentence...:D I wanted to go off our business cell phone to get a smart phone and went onto my DD's plan it's the best thing that ever happened to me. DD wants to switch from the big V to Xfinity. she texts and says this plan is cheaper.. I reply ..good find. Then she texts me again with a link and says What phone do you want..3 days later I have a new phone. It was like magic.

The Comcast Xfinity interface works fine according to my DD....Data is cheap and adjustable by the month. Most important.. since I'm very rural I haven't noticed any lowering of quality when using the Verizon towers.

I see a trend of companies piggybacking into Verizon towers. I'm on my daughter's Xfinity (comcast) which also uses Verizon towers. I'm sure Verizon likes the money but I see potential big problems over tower capacity.....you know the not Verizon customers will get throttled.

Which is why I went with US Mobile. If you have a 5G phone you won't get throttled, you get treated like any other Verizon customer. If you have a 4G phone on US Mobile, yes, you will get throttled, like any other non-Verizon customer on Verizon towers.

Which is why I went with US Mobile. If you have a 5G phone you won't get throttled, you get treated like any other Verizon customer. If you have a 4G phone on US Mobile, yes, you will get throttled, like any other non-Verizon customer on Verizon towers.
Do you know this for certain? Or will they always route you to a US mobile tower if one is available? That would be a good benefit to have...

Tello (T-Mobile towers) $29 unlimited or build a plan to suit your needs.
Free unlimited texts come with all plans and if you manually renew the day before auto renew, you get to rollover your unused data and minutes except for unlimited plans.
You can change your plan anytime you want depending on what's going on in your life.
Use your phone as a hotspot
https://tello.com/

Oh boy, that is the first time I've seen fun and looking at cell phone plans in the same sentence...:D I wanted to go off our business cell phone to get a smart phone and went onto my DD's plan it's the best thing that ever happened to me. DD wants to switch from the big V to Xfinity. she texts and says this plan is cheaper.. I reply ..good find. Then she texts me again with a link and says What phone do you want..3 days later I have a new phone. It was like magic.

The Comcast Xfinity interface works fine according to my DD....Data is cheap and adjustable by the month. Most important.. since I'm very rural I haven't noticed any lowering of quality when using the Verizon towers.

Sounds perfect, especially out there in your rural area! So see? Looking at cell phone plans ended up being fun after all, once you found the right plan. :D

I signed up online for Cricket (five years ago), and soon thereafter a box arrived with a free LG phone in it, and I was all set up. So much fun, after paying through the nose for an iPhone on Verizon for all those years. Well, MY kind of fun, anyway. :ROFLMAO:

Cricket uses AT&T towers, and we have a huge one on top of a 20 story skyscraper about a block away, which might explain the amazing reception that I get. Really, it sounds like Frank is sitting here right next to me when he calls.

Sounds perfect, especially out there in your rural area! So see? Looking at cell phone plans ended up being fun after all, once you found the right plan. :D

I signed up online for Cricket (five years ago), and soon thereafter a box arrived with a free LG phone in it, and I was all set up. So much fun, after paying through the nose for an iPhone on Verizon for all those years. Well, MY kind of fun, anyway. :ROFLMAO:

well then let's hope stays in business for a long time!

well then let's hope stays in business for a long time!

If it doesn't, I've read on threads like this that several other carriers have plans that are even cheaper! I'm sticking with Cricket because I like the way they do business, but the other plans might be just as good in that respect.

I'm happy with Metro PCS (T-mobile network) and have had no issues domestically (a little worse at huge events a few times though). I've thought about Mint Mobile as it was a bit cheaper than the $40 I currently pay on the same network. So far Metro PCS haven't ticked me off so I'll stay put rather than risk a telecom nightmare.

After trying several plans, I ended up with Mint Mobile, at $15/month per phone with 4GB/mo. It's an mnvo- uses the tmobile network. I've been happy with them. Tmobile (and Mint) are now on 5G- so make sure your phone can do at least 4G (3G no longer supported).

We just switched from Verizon to Consumer Cellular last week. We have some friends in Tx. as well as afew here in Ga. that have been with them for a few years and really like them. We were on a 55+ plan on Vz. that started out at $60. per mo. for 2 phones with 5 gb data unlimited talk and text. Kept creeping up till it got to $92. per month when we cut it. With CC. we are unlimited everything for $71.25 +tax unlimited everything including hotspot data that we can use to stream when we are camping and have bad TV reception. It runs on AT&T towers so should be good-we will see.

Back
Top Bottom