Going to change phone plans

We have been on the Cricket (AT&T MVNO) Unlimited Core Plan for several years. Four lines of unlimited talk, text and data for $25/mo per line. DD#2 pays me for two of those lines since having a plan with four lines gives us all a better monthly rate.

Last edited:
You ask for a lot! Or did you mean which company offers this at the lowest price. I think a lot of us have gotten spoiled with the price of cell phone service and even cell phones. I fear we are in for a rude awakening...:cool:

Hey, don’t ask, don’t get. But I was meaning a lower cost provider. Not necessarily the lowest.
Prior to cricket, I was a long time ATT cell service user. It was very good in terms of working anywhere. Step off the plane anywhere in the world and there was immediately some service. But that cost a lot. Which wasn’t a problem when my employer paid my cell plan. Once retired I quickly switched to cricket based on recommendations I found on this fine site. But the lack of international coverage really is a big negative for me now.

After trying several plans, I ended up with Mint Mobile, at $15/month per phone with 4GB/mo. It's an mnvo- uses the tmobile network. I've been happy with them. Tmobile (and Mint) are now on 5G- so make sure your phone can do at least 4G (3G no longer supported).
This is the exact plan we have. Just got a 5g phone and works well. Can't beat $15 a month.

I have had Verizon for over 15 years. I switched from Sprint circa 2006. I was driving from the Bay Area to Arizona a few times a year, and the Sprint coverage was spotty.
I have unlimited calling and if there is a data limit, I have never exceeded it, The price went from $60 to $66 last year and now to $72, all in.

This seems excessive, given the competition. The phone is a Samsung A51, almost two years old. Bought outright at Best Buy. Suggestions?

Of course it entirely depends on how much you use the phone. I almost never use it so I have a PagePlus pay as you go that is $10 every four months. It uses the Verizon network.

I have had Verizon for over 15 years. I switched from Sprint circa 2006. I was driving from the Bay Area to Arizona a few times a year, and the Sprint coverage was spotty.
I have unlimited calling and if there is a data limit, I have never exceeded it, The price went from $60 to $66 last year and now to $72, all in.

This seems excessive, given the competition. The phone is a Samsung A51, almost two years old. Bought outright at Best Buy. Suggestions?

Look at Visable if you want to stay on the Verizon towers. $30.00 a month all in if you have a compatible phone, or they have some you can buy.:)

If you want to stay on the big V check out your actual data use and see if you can downsize from the umlimited plan..or course depending on the date you signed up for unlimited it might not be much cheaper...

a know a lot of people using V that pay for unlimited plans who would save a lot of money by downgrading.V no longer surprises you with surprise data charges. They move you to a data throttle and don't charge extra. They send text warning and emails so you can buy data for a busy month.

Last edited:
If you want to stay on the big V check out your actual data use and see if you can downsize from the umlimited plan..or course depending on the date you signed up for unlimited it might not be much cheaper...

a know a lot of people using V that pay for unlimited plans who would save a lot of money by downgrading.V no longer surprises you with surprise data charges. They move you to a data throttle and don't charge extra. They send text warning and emails so you can buy date for a busy month.

Good to know. I will look into that. Thanks!

After trying several plans, I ended up with Mint Mobile, at $15/month per phone with 4GB/mo. It's an mnvo- uses the tmobile network. I've been happy with them. Tmobile (and Mint) are now on 5G- so make sure your phone can do at least 4G (3G no longer supported).

I’m looking at this plan right now. It seems good. Actually similar to cricket, but it works globally if you pay for international roaming credits in advance of a trip.
I’m wondering if anyone using Mint Mobile has used their international roaming services? If so, how was it?

I signed up online for Cricket (five years ago), and soon thereafter a box arrived with a free LG phone in it, and I was all set up.

well then let's hope stays in business for a long time!

I just visited a Cricket outlet, The wanted a $150 up front, couldn't use my phone, and $60 a month. I said, I thought Cricket had better prices, they said, "that is the best we can do.
So, I went to AT&T to see about their $300 a year plan. The fellow was very helpful but, the $300 prepaid plan is internet only. So, I'm home looking at the plan and click on 'Details'. The first paragraph is what it is...

"12-Month Offer: Subject to change and may be discontinued at any time. Service available for 360 days upon first payment of $300. Plan renews every 30 days for 12 renewal periods. The $300 advance payment is non-refundable in whole or in part. Next service payment due at 11:59 p.m. CST on the 360th day. Not eligible for AutoPay or Multi-Line Discounts."

The last paragraph I don't get, or at least this part, "You must add money to your account within 26 days of activation," :confused:

"Pricing, terms & other restr’s subject to change and may be modified or terminated at any time without notice. GENERAL TERMS: By activating/using service, you agree to be bound by AT&T Consumer Service Agreement (att.com/ConsumerServiceAgreement).

You must add money to your account within 26 days of activation, or your account will be canceled. Active service requires account payment in full for monthly plans and minimum $25 account payment for per-minute and daily plans. Calls to special and premium services may be blocked. Service cannot be resold or used for fraudulent purposes. Geographic, usage, & other terms, conditions, and restrictions apply. Taxes and other charges may apply, see att.com/prepaid for details. Service provided by AT&T Mobility and is subject to AT&T’s Network management policies, see att.com/broadbandinfo for details."

Can anyone decipher that, while I'm waiting for the AT&T callback, you have plenty of time.

Time2 short answer No I can't..

I guess we need to remember that anyone who has been with a carrier more than 6 months might be talking about a plan and pricing that is no longer available

Time2 short answer No I can't..

I guess we need to remember that anyone who has been with a carrier more than 6 months might be talking about a plan and pricing that is no longer available

I got my call back, the fellow I talked to pulled up the website, same plans same pictures, he clicked the details section, and had everything I had except the last two paragraphs. He said he was at the bottom of the scroll. He tried a different browser, still the same. So he said I will switch you over to the prepaid area. I got lost in there phone system and eventually hung up on. Maybe tomorrow.

I've been on Mintmobile for several years. Of course, they could sell out to someone at any time, so no guarantees.

You can try it for 99 cents here
https://tinyurl.com/4ayuvt6c.

If you are not sure about coverage in your area, download the app "Network Cell Info Lite". The app shows which channel and tower your phone, along with signal strength. Of course, you're just checking tmobile coverage, since mint is an mnvo.

Clark Howard calls it the best value for a cheap cell phone plan

Hey, don’t ask, don’t get. But I was meaning a lower cost provider. Not necessarily the lowest.
Prior to cricket, I was a long time ATT cell service user. It was very good in terms of working anywhere. Step off the plane anywhere in the world and there was immediately some service. But that cost a lot. Which wasn’t a problem when my employer paid my cell plan. Once retired I quickly switched to cricket based on recommendations I found on this fine site. But the lack of international coverage really is a big negative for me now.

Google Fi is worth looking at if you need international coverage. My favorite thing about it is that it just works almost anywhere in the world. We have the flexible plan and pay $10/G for data. They have unlimited plans for domestic and international, but we just don't use enough data to make those worth it, even when traveling. The break even is 4.5G for domestic and 7.2G for international.

Google Fi is worth looking at if you need international coverage. My favorite thing about it is that it just works almost anywhere in the world. We have the flexible plan and pay $10/G for data. They have unlimited plans for domestic and international, but we just don't use enough data to make those worth it, even when traveling. The break even is 4.5G for domestic and 7.2G for international.

Thanks. I’ll take a look!

Look at Visable if you want to stay on the Verizon towers. $30.00 a month all in if you have a compatible phone, or they have some you can buy.:)
I got a family member signed up for this last year. It's only $25/mo as a member of a party, which is easy to do.

I'm still on Tello for about $6/mo but with much more limited voice/data.

Signing up for Cricket plans online is likely less costly than doing it in person at a Cricket store. That $150 up front charge is probably what pays the rent and salary of the person helping you. I didn't drill too deep but I see nothing here about the up front fee:

https://www.cricketwireless.com/cell-phone-plans

There should only be a $25 activation fee plus the cost of the phone if you buy one but no other costs except for the monthly plan. I started my service at one of their stores with no additional fees vs online. My cost was $25 plus the first monthly plan fee since I opted for one of their free phone offers.

There should only be a $25 activation fee plus the cost of the phone if you buy one but no other costs except for the monthly plan. I started my service at one of their stores with no additional fees vs online. My cost was $25 plus the first monthly plan fee since I opted for one of their free phone offers.

That was my experience as well, but it was many years ago and I haven't been inside a Cricket store since. Not sure where the $150 fee Time2 mentioned fits in unless it is a phone purchase since he said he could not use his.

That was my experience as well, but it was many years ago and I haven't been inside a Cricket store since. Not sure where the $150 fee Time2 mentioned fits in unless it is a phone purchase since he said he could not use his.

Yes the $150 included a phone because the couldn't or wouldn't use mine.

RedPocket is another good option. They have plans on ATT, Verizon, Tmobile, etc.
We have 4 phones on the family plan, first is $30, others are $20/month and each has 10Gb data.

So, I went to AT&T to see about their $300 a year plan. The fellow was very helpful but, the $300 prepaid plan is internet only. So, I'm home looking at the plan and click on 'Details'. The first paragraph is what it is...

"12-Month Offer: Subject to change and may be discontinued at any time. Service available for 360 days upon first payment of $300. Plan renews every 30 days for 12 renewal periods. The $300 advance payment is non-refundable in whole or in part. Next service payment due at 11:59 p.m. CST on the 360th day. Not eligible for AutoPay or Multi-Line Discounts."

The last paragraph I don't get, or at least this part, "You must add money to your account within 26 days of activation," :confused:

"Pricing, terms & other restr’s subject to change and may be modified or terminated at any time without notice. GENERAL TERMS: By activating/using service, you agree to be bound by AT&T Consumer Service Agreement (att.com/ConsumerServiceAgreement).

You must add money to your account within 26 days of activation, or your account will be canceled. Active service requires account payment in full for monthly plans and minimum $25 account payment for per-minute and daily plans. Calls to special and premium services may be blocked. Service cannot be resold or used for fraudulent purposes. Geographic, usage, & other terms, conditions, and restrictions apply. Taxes and other charges may apply, see att.com/prepaid for details. Service provided by AT&T Mobility and is subject to AT&T’s Network management policies, see att.com/broadbandinfo for details."
While I suspect all of the legalese is just cover their a$$ boilerplate, it is very weaselly and gives them the right to modify or cancel at anytime. I don't expect that would happen but I don't like it. The situation is the $300 prepaid is $25mo with 16GB per month and the $30 payment plan is 5GB per month. I have had an 11GB usage month, I have to wonder if some how a video stream was left running when I was away from my Wifi. I'm usually running 5GB to 6GB. Still trying to get answers from AT&T, but they're making it impossible to chat if you don't have an account, you need to already have a phone to have an account. Frustrating! :mad:
Yes, I do sometimes get caught up in details, and this, "You must add money to your account within 26 days of activation, or your account will be canceled". probably applies to something else, but if so, why is it where it is and why can't the AT&T agent see it when they view the details.

With all the options/carriers/pay-as-you-go plans available, not sure why you would even consider one with a $300 non-refundable prepay requirement.

Signing up for Cricket plans online is likely less costly than doing it in person at a Cricket store. That $150 up front charge is probably what pays the rent and salary of the person helping you. I didn't drill too deep but I see nothing here about the up front fee:

https://www.cricketwireless.com/cell-phone-plans

I can confirm that; when I signed up for Cricket online (back in 2017), there was no upfront fee like that, and no activation fee. All I paid was exactly $30.00 which was the monthly cost. Not one penny extra. Then a month later I paid $30 again, and $30 every month thereafter. I set it up so that these payments were automatically deducted from my checking account.

I didn't even have to pay a cent for my new LG cell phone, since Cricket had a deal going where I could get that model for free if I let them use my same phone number. I did not even have to pay the shipping for it.

Back
Top Bottom