Golf cart batteries

Tailgate

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I don't trust the so called reviews online, but I generally do trust the recommendations and opinions posted here.

I have a 2015 E-Z Go that will be in need of new 12 volt batteries soon. Local dealer only sells Trojan. Priced $215 each, so I'm looking at $1,100. I'm open to Lithium, but don't know if the benefits outweigh the additional costs.

Any suggestions? Thanks....

I have zero knowledge of golf carts, but I think lithium batteries take a different kind of charging than lead acid ones, so you cannot simply get different batteries.

I'll be interested to know if what I said is true.

I’ll be curious to hear opinions too. You might also post this question on the sister RV site, as I know lots of RVers use them.

Lithium batteries are great and last a long time, but have you actually priced them? Unless you are young, you'll never recoup the cost. Trojan batteries are good, though the ones that Costco sells are probably a better value.

A Lifepo4 lithium battery bank with the same voltage and amp hour rating will be significantly lighter, have a greater service life and have more usable energy than an equivalent lead acid battery. Most will have a built-in battery management system and a charger.

I have a pair of these 12v/100Ah batteries to power my RV.

Use the toggle to match the voltage/amp hour rating and read the reviews for golf cart application -

https://www.amazon.com/FLYPOWER-Lif...638&sprefix=12v+lifepo4+,aps,354&sr=8-21&th=1

I have zero knowledge of golf carts, but I think lithium batteries take a different kind of charging than lead acid ones, so you cannot simply get different batteries.

I'll be interested to know if what I said is true.

As noted in my reply, most of these Lifepo4 batteries have a built-in management system.
They will have a different charging profile and a slightly higher optimum charging voltage at 14.6v.

AFAIK, a lead acid charger could be used but would not be able to maximize to full charge.

I don't know much on the subject but I do know that Costco in our area sells golf cart batteries and IME most of what Costco sells are a good value so if I had a golf cart that needed batteries Costco would be my Plan A.

A Lifepo4 lithium battery bank with the same voltage and amp hour rating will be significantly lighter, have a greater service life and have more usable energy than an equivalent lead acid battery. Most will have a built-in battery management system and a charger.
[emphasis added]

Help me understand: Why would they have more usable energy with the same voltage and amp-hour rating? Something to do with the discharge curves or something?

I paid a little over $800 in 2019 for Trojan. But like anything else they go up and location makes a difference.

Help me understand: Why would they have more usable energy with the same voltage and amp-hour rating? Something to do with the discharge curves or something?

Yes - typically, lead acid batteries should not be drawn down below ~80% of maximum charge for longest service life.
OTOH, Lifepo4 batteries can be taken down to 40% state of charge without harm.

One other thing - all but a few specially designed batts can not be safely charged at or below 32F. They can be used if already holding a sufficient charge - check the battery specs.

I don't trust the so called reviews online, but I generally do trust the recommendations and opinions posted here.

I have a 2015 E-Z Go that will be in need of new 12 volt batteries soon. Local dealer only sells Trojan. Priced $215 each, so I'm looking at $1,100. I'm open to Lithium, but don't know if the benefits outweigh the additional costs.

Any suggestions? Thanks....

No warehouse club nearby?

BTW, golf cart batteries are 6 volt.

Yes - typically, lead acid batteries should not be drawn down below ~80% of maximum charge for longest service life.

Thank you.

And yet these are given the same amp-hour rating? That doesn't make a lot of sense to me!

I think you need to consider your duty cycle. How much you use the cart will help you solve the cost:benefit equation. For example, if you are golfing 36 holes a day, 7 days a week (my golf club), you have one duty cycle. If you use the cart to go to the mailbox once a day (my in-laws), you have a very different cycle. Someone at a local golf cart dealer should be able to help you decide what is best for you.
FWIW, lead-acid is much more environmentally friendly (production and recycle) than Li-ion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorn2bwild View Post
Thank you.

And yet these are given the same amp-hour rating? That doesn't make a lot of sense to me!

I agree, that doesn't sound right, but I think there is an explanation.

The amp-hours can be the same, but if you regularly draw down a lead-acid battery to the end of its capacity, it will shorten its life pretty drastically.

That draw down doesn't have as extreme an effect on a LifePO4.

I'd have to look at some life-cycle graphs to check that, but I'm pretty sure that's how it works.

-ERD50

I agree, that doesn't sound right, but I think there is an explanation.

The amp-hours can be the same, but if you regularly draw down a lead-acid battery to the end of its capacity, it will shorten its life pretty drastically.

That draw down doesn't have as extreme an effect on a LifePO4.

I'd have to look at some life-cycle graphs to check that, but I'm pretty sure that's how it works.

-ERD50

Many LiFePO4 cells have the following specs: capacity reduced to 80% of original, after 2000 cycles of 100% discharge.

If the DoD (depth of discharge) is reduced, the capacity reduction will be much less. For example, if discharged from 100% to 20% instead of 0%, the same cell will retain 80% capacity after 4000 cycles instead of 2000.

See typical spec charts below.

16145857456642.jpg

Back
Top Bottom