Golf Talk Tuesdays - 2021

1) yes
2) pros - generally really fast pace of play and the course is almost always in top shape. I also live about 1/4 mile from the club and have my own cart. cons - price - some people say you get bored playing the same course all the time but my home course is so hard all you have to do is change tees

I'm 63 and over the last couple of years I started to loose distance with my irons. I play with Mizuno MP 64, stiff steel shaft. I lost about 10 to 15 yards per club.

A couple of months ago I played with someone playing Mizuno JPX919 irons. He was a very solid player (about 5 hdcp) and still played with game improvement irons. On one hole I hit my 6 iron (short par 4, layup) and he let me hit his 6 iron. I went about 20 yards farther. I ordered a set of JPX921 Hot Metal Tour irons with regular flex and graphite shafts. I got all my distance back and then some. I understand that part of it is due to longer shafts and stronger lofts, but it's nice to have my distance back.

Yes, two memberships

Pros: membership 1 is a country club membership our home town. The course is very near our home so we can be on the course 5 minutes after leaving our driveway. There is a use it or lose it, but the club has an excellent chef and we really enjoy the atmosphere so we never have a problem meeting it. Often we can walk on and feel like we have the whole course to ourselves although this past year has been very busy (the best thing to happen to golf was COVID, according to our pro). We really enjoy many of the social aspects of CC membership. Membership 2 is seasonal at a public club in Phoenix. We play often so buying the membership saves $$ over the long run. We get advance tee times and discounts in the restaurant and pro shop. Cons: the CC is pricey. The Phoenix membership ties us down to one course a bit, a definite drawback since there are so many great courses in the area.

I thought you'd all be here talking about Mr ..Phil..but I guess I was wrong

I thought you'd all be here talking about Mr ..Phil..but I guess I was wrong

I’m watching it, and pulling for Phil. He’s off to a rough start today. ☹️

We played the Ocean Course at Kiawah Island a few years ago. Beautiful but tough course.

I’m watching it, and pulling for Phil. He’s off to a rough start today. ☹️

We played the Ocean Course at Kiawah Island a few years ago. Beautiful but tough course.

ATM Brooks looks more nervous then Phil

I'm watching it too. Definitely a roller coaster day so far for the last group.

I'm a fan of both Brooks and Phil so if either one of them wins I won't be disappointed. I'd like to see it close on 18 tee.

Fun watching. They’re walking to #10 tee now, and the back nine is brutal, so anything could happen…

Who was it in the second round that was on the 14th tee @ -3 and walked off the 18th green +10. Not that these guys are going to do that....:)

Congratulations Phil. Thanks to this thread. It reminded me to watch. Glad I did.

Enjoyed watching it. I kept waiting for Phil to hit a couple of wild drives but never too bad today. Much more under control this week. Congrats to Phil!

Very impressive win for Phil at almost age 51 plus he has the same disease as my DH (psoriatic arthritis) and at one time almost had to give up golf. Perseverance. An inspiration for everyone with a chronic disease.

Who was it in the second round that was on the 14th tee @ -3 and walked off the 18th green +10. Not that these guys are going to do that....:)
Tringale…

I didn’t think Phil would win again on the tour, much less a major, but good for him. He hasn’t had a decent finish this year, but he’s worked very hard on his fitness and game, and put it all together for four days again on a punishing course. And a new record, oldest major winner, to add to his resume. His former caddy said Phil’s ability to flight the ball served him well with all the wind at Kiawah, makes sense as playing in high winds is a different skill and some tour pros aren’t as proficient at it.

Last edited:
I liked catching the discussion between Phil and his caddy (his brother?) on a couple of the holes on the back nine. On one of them he seemed really worried about rolling over the green, but the caddy stuck to his advice, citing the wind and other things. He hit it almost pin high. Really neat sequence.

1. Do you have a Golf Club membership? Yes/No
2. What do you think the Pros/Cons of membership are?

1. Yes

2. Pros - it cuts the cost of golf at the course by more than half. For the last year, my average cost for a round was $9.00 vs. $20.00 (including times when I paid extra for a cart). I can decide to play on the spur of the moment, without having to book a tee time. I can start play on nice days before the course "officially" opens if I choose to walk (which I prefer). You get to know the staff very well, which provides additional benefits.

Cons - I cannot think of any. True, you play the same course a lot. But the way I look at, it is a substitute for the driving range. Some rounds I play as a "driving range", not keeping score but as a practice. On light days at times (and being retired it is easy to figure out), I can get additional practice by playing two balls, and/or playing one tee back which gets me to use additional clubs (and also varies how the course is played).

I always liked Phil and still do mostly but I lost a lot of respect for him when he complained about his tax rate several years ago. I'm still happy for him but I don't like him as much anymore.

I liked catching the discussion between Phil and his caddy (his brother?) on a couple of the holes on the back nine. On one of them he seemed really worried about rolling over the green, but the caddy stuck to his advice, citing the wind and other things. He hit it almost pin high. Really neat sequence.

In his speech after the win Phil thanked his brother who has been caddying for him.

So glad to see Lefty win it playing his usual exciting game. Would love to see him capture the grand slam, no one is more deserving.

I’ve been planning some golf trips and, through mostly serendipity, it looks like I will be taking three golf trips in the month of September. So, I’ll spend 20 days in September golfing or traveling to/from golf. First to Kiawah, second to Copper Valley, CA and, third to St George/Vegas. [emoji106]

Hope my body holds up. [emoji848]

I’ve been planning some golf trips and, through mostly serendipity, it looks like I will be taking three golf trips in the month of September. So, I’ll spend 20 days in September golfing or traveling to/from golf. First to Kiawah, second to Copper Valley, CA and, third to St George/Vegas. [emoji106]

I'm wore out just reading about it.

Sounds great, you’ll have fun. One of my golf buddies played The Ocean Course a few months ago and absolutely loved it - even though it kicked his butt.

If you are going to play the Kiawah Ocean Course take plenty of balls, don't ask me how many I lost there.

I'm sure you know this but Wolf creek and Conestoga are must plays in Mesquite and of course Sand Hollow in St. George area, absolutely stunning. Pauite courses in Vegas are sweet, too.

If you are going to play the Kiawah Ocean Course take plenty of balls, don't ask me how many I lost there.

Sounds great, you’ll have fun. One of my golf buddies played The Ocean Course a few months ago and absolutely loved it - even though it kicked his butt.

I organized an 8-some to Kiawah for 14 yrs starting in 2004; then we stopped for a few years. This year it’s just a 4-some. It’s a fantastic place for golfers. The only place I’ve been that compares is Bandon Dunes. I’ve played the Ocean Course on each trip and always had a great time even as it was kicking my butt. I love walking with a caddy. This is our backup plan for St Andrews, etc, which we had to cancel due to UK travel restrictions.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom