Got something in our crawl space

Golfnut by Christmas:

peter-in-his-raccoon-skin-coat.jpg

Well our Mama skunk rolled the trap again last night. We have given up any pretence that breakfast is anything more than a strategy session discussing bait, trap positioning, how to avoid rolling. We've decided to get an infrared camera because we want to see what on earth it is getting into these cages just in case it is bigger than what we are thinking.

Can't be too much longer and we will be purchasing camouflage jackets and rocket launchers ala Caddyshack.

Well our Mama skunk rolled the trap again last night. We have given up any pretence that breakfast is anything more than a strategy session discussing bait, trap positioning, how to avoid rolling. We've decided to get an infrared camera because we want to see what on earth it is getting into these cages just in case it is bigger than what we are thinking.

Can't be too much longer and we will be purchasing camouflage jackets and rocket launchers ala Caddyshack.

Here's a tip I saw on e-bay to prevent trap rolling. Might work.

You can take the box your trap comes in, split the bottom, open it up and nail the flaps down on the floor and then slide the cage inside, thus preventing the racoon from rolling and pushing the the cage around and triggering the trap door.
eBay Guides - Using your new racoon trap

We caught another skunk this morning but know that Mama is still out there. We pegged the trap down with tent pegs which prevented the rolling as well as strategically placing big rocks by the track. You should see the massive holes that Mama dug around the trap to try and get her baby out.

We caught another skunk this morning but know that Mama is still out there. We pegged the trap down with tent pegs which prevented the rolling as well as strategically placing big rocks by the track. You should see the massive holes that Mama dug around the trap to try and get her baby out.

We need pictures !

She is a good Mama but moved into a bad neighborhood! ;)

I use live traps with tuna fish for bait on the skunks and racoons. For mice and rats the Rat Zapper Ultra with dried pet food is excellent. The Rat Zapper electrocutes them and sets off a flashing light to indicate you got a kill.

We have been hearing noises . It is probably a squirrel . We are having a company come in to take care of it but in the meantime I heard noise is a deterrent so I'm blasting the oldies station . Not sure if the squirrel is still here as I'm dancing around the house .:)

The first place of my own was an older three story walkup condo. I was on the top floor and getting those noises and fighting sounds coming from overhead late at night. Turned out to be racoons and I believe they trapped something like 20 of the little buggers. At times, I thought they were going to come through the ceiling:LOL:

Between hiring the trapper and getting the eave repaired, it cost us about $1,000 total. We ended up with 2 racoons in the crawl space and a third one which was stupid enough to get trapped when the trap was in our backyard.

Also, the trapper did an inspection and mentioned the critters were not in the house for an extended period of time given the amount of you know what he cleaned up.

Good news - no noise upstairs!

Golfnut

We did have a squirrel in our attic but unfortunately he died an untimely death in the wall behind our bedroom .The smell was beyond awful but it is getting better . We still had the Trapper come to make sure he didn't have any heirs . Luckily he was a bachelor so the entry is sealed and hopefully that concludes our wild life fun .:):)

One of the guys I was camping with last weekend moved into a new house 2 years ago. Turns out they had an attic infestation too. Sugar gliders! The previous owners had them as pets and a pregnant female escaped. Took quite a while to get them all out, since they didn't want to poison them or anything.

This thread reminded me to set my mouse traps. Field mice will be looking for their winter condo in my garage. I hate to kill the cute little buggers, but the thought of an unchecked infestation is even worse.
I'll ask Mr B to empty the traps. >:D
His solution will be to toss it, mouse corpse and all. I guess I better stock up on extra traps.

UPDATE: I just found a bulk pack (72) of the classic Victor metal spring traps, with free shipping. No shelf life on these things. I catch on average 12 mice per year. No more emptying traps:dance:, i.e. getting grossed out by bug eyed dead meeces. :sick:

FYI : http://www.amazon.com/WOODSTREAM-Vi...BYK4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1319481266&sr=8-2

Last edited:
This thread reminded me to set my mouse traps. Field mice will be looking for their winter condo in my garage. I hate to kill the cute little buggers, but the thought of an unchecked infestation is even worse.
I'll ask Mr B to empty the traps. >:D
His solution will be to toss it, mouse corpse and all. I guess I better stock up on extra traps.

About 20 years ago a brother who lives next door to me was having some problems with mice. however, he could bring himself to disposing of the dead mice. He would bribe my daughter (under 10 at the time) with candy bars to empty and reset the traps for him.

UPDATE: I just found a bulk pack (72) of the classic Victor metal spring traps, with free shipping. No shelf life on these things. I catch on average 12 mice per year. No more emptying traps:dance:, i.e. getting grossed out by bug eyed dead meeces. :sick:

With 72 traps, you could try setting them all at once, and hopefully you would have better results than in the mousetrap scene in the movie "Mouse Hunt".:LOL:

Mouse Hunt mouse traps scene - YouTube

Last edited:
Everyone I talk to swears by using Bounce sheets as a mouse deterrent. I've been using them in my trailer for 2 years and have been mouseless, but that could also be because I plugged a hole they were using as a gateway to my kitchen.

Still - the Bounce sheets smell nice.

With 72 traps, you could try setting them all at once, and hopefully you would have better results than in the mousetrap scene in the movie "Mouse Hunt".:LOL:
Now don't be giving me ideas about how to entertain myself on a long winter blizzard night while Mr B is at class. :cool:

Great comeback video clip. :LOL:

Everyone I talk to swears by using Bounce sheets as a mouse deterrent. I've been using them in my trailer for 2 years and have been mouseless, but that could also be because I plugged a hole they were using as a gateway to my kitchen.
I promise you that plugging the entryway is the reason for your success. I tried the other option and ended up with an RV inhabited by nice smelling mice...:)

I promise you that plugging the entryway is the reason for your success. I tried the other option and ended up with an RV inhabited by nice smelling mice...:)

Could be worse. I was also told that Bay leaves work, so one year I put 4 pounds of bay leaves (do you know how many bay leaves that is!?) in the trailer. Turns out mice love bay leaves. And the trailer smelled like spaghetti sauce all summer.
:LOL:

Back
Top Bottom