Grocery Shopping

Status
Not open for further replies.
We got some of the first item/masks that MissMolly put the link to through Amazon. They came in a couple days. We just ordered another box just in case this requirement lasts longer than we think. We were in a Farm King (rural farm store in the Midwest) this morning and while we were waiting to check out (6 feet behind the person in front of us), my husband saw a shelf full of boxes of disposable gloves. We already have some, but again bought a box just in case. Never expected to see the gloves in that store and we wouldn't have seen them if we weren't keeping our 6 foot spacing.

That's the thing - the only reason we have masks is that DW bought a package when she had a cold several years ago and I had a package of ten N95 masks in the shop that I bought for making wood dust. But it was merely coincidental that we had those. By the time they were required for shopping all the places we knew of were sold out. And neither one of us sews. Same thing with rubber gloves - I had a couple boxes for shop use but not everyone keeps those on hand either.

So what's a person to do if they're in that fix and didn't already have some?

I ordered these from Amazon on 4/23, and to my surprise they arrived on 4/25.

It currently says they will be in stock tomorrow.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B086KMYNSS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Wow, a very different experience than what I am seeing here in central NC. What area of the country are you in?

I am also in central NC. I haven't used Walmart; I use Harris Teeter. Good luck!

Meijer was the most crowded I've seen in several weeks this afternoon, just after 4 PM. I'd guess about 90% of the customers were wearing masks. I put on my bandanna and prowled around looking like a bank robber. All the employees were wearing masks. One downside was that most people weren't trying to keep their distance from others while shopping, so I think the wide adoption of facial coverings may be making people too complacent about that.

There wasn't one piece of fresh chicken to be found in any size, shape, bone-in, or boneless. So I bought a 22 lb. turkey. All the other meat types were well stocked, probably because there was a limit of 2 on each. I was glad to see that, not that I like limits, but I dislike hoarding more. Would that mean if I buy 2 packages of pork sausage links that I could also buy 2 packages of pork sausage patties? Would the cash register sound an alarm if I buy 2 packages of 12 oz. bacon and 2 packages of 16 oz. bacon? Inquiring minds want to know. :D

Limits were still in place on milk, cheese, eggs, and are now extended to butter. All the butter was restaurant stuff repackaged for retail. Margarine stock was really low, too. Speaking of low stock, I saw less of many things than I've seen in weeks. It didn't feel too good seeing that so soon after it looked like supply was starting to recover a little. Cleaning supplies were still empty. The toilet paper section was nearly full, with many brands to choose from!

The number of items on sale were noticeably down all throughout the store. I'd say the best sales were still in produce, about the usual discounts. Meat sales were the worst, maybe only 50 cents off per pound. Well, a lack of sales is still better than a lack of items.

People really don't understand how six feet distancing works in a supermarket. It sounds good in concept.

But then someone pulls their cart up and parks by a section of foods. Someone else wants to get some food in that same area so they just go up and grab it. They don't wait for the person to leave. And the person with the cart never gives a second thought that by parking their cart next to a large section of food items they are blocking everyone around them from getting those items.

And don't even get me started on the people who leave their shopping carts in the middle of the aisle while texting on their cell phones.

Some have always done it on purpose. It is a territorial thing.

And the person with the cart never gives a second thought that by parking their cart next to a large section of food items they are blocking everyone around them from getting those items.

I think part of the problem with carts (and people) being parked is related to the low/non-existent stock. I'm as guilty as anyone of sometimes violating the 6 ft. rules, but I try not to linger. I'll keep a distance from others when I'm trying to make a decision of what to grab. I understand that having to make substitutions takes a little more time and it can vary depending on what it is. There are limits to how long I'm willing to wait for another customer to decide what butter to buy, especially when there isn't a lot there to look at in the first place. You want salted or unsalted? A rectangle or a roll? That was really the extent of the decision to be made there. No store brand available, so no price comparison either. A woman stood there looking absolutely lost. I'm not going to stand 6 ft. away indefinitely waiting for her to be found. :angel:

Meijer has these scales at the end of every aisle in the produce section where you can choose to weigh your items and label them for faster checkout. When I do this, I'll grab an item and weigh it immediately. 10 seconds or less and I'm done. Next! A few weeks ago I saw a woman weighing each and every item she'd shopped for in the entire produce section afterwards, all at once. I'd never seen anyone do it that way before. When you're supposed to stay 6 ft. away and you want something that's within 6 ft. of that scale, a former non-issue becomes an issue.

Yesterday, I noticed that when I was picking out something, most people (of all ages) got right up in my space without waiting. No one was at the pork chops. I reached for a top package and an old lady came and stood right beside me and starting leisurely looking at all of them. :facepalm: I can't try protect those who refuse to try and protect themselves.

I use a nice square kerchief I found lying around the house, fold it into a triangle, cover my nose and below, and tie it behind my head. Presto. Mask on. Or 'face covering' anyway, lol. Seems to be accepted by all. No compliments, however. Oh, well...

Yesterday, I noticed that when I was picking out something, most people (of all ages) got right up in my space without waiting. No one was at the pork chops. I reached for a top package and an old lady came and stood right beside me and starting leisurely looking at all of them. :facepalm: I can't try protect those who refuse to try and protect themselves.

You could try a well planned cough. I'm going to try that before I resort to the proven "Get the F.... away from me" that I've used for 4th of July tourists.

You could try a well planned cough. I'm going to try that before I resort to the proven "Get the F.... away from me" that I've used for 4th of July tourists.

I want a 'cough' app for my phone to play at the appropriate time. With a facemask, I wouldn't even have to act like I was coughing.

Our nearest Walmart has a geezer hour from 7 to 8 in the morning for pick up. I have used their pick up service in pre-pandemic days and found that now it is even simpler.
Much easier to check substitutions or not on each item and a space to write instructions.
They texted at 6:30 that my order was ready so it is lucky that I am a morning person. I was there by 7 and the order was brought right out and I was home by 7:20.
The only problem was the dog loved it and wanted to get up at 6:30 the next day, too!

I used Walmart pick up today at Geezer hour. Got a text it was ready at 6:45 am (ugh), got to Walmart at 7. Sat in my car for half an hour along with a few other Geezers in their cars until finally a Walmart employee showed up at 7:30. I don't think I will use the senior hour next time--the Walmart employees don't show up that early.

That's actually not a bad idea. Normally I would have ignored the "old lady" part, but I am noticing the oldest neighbors and fellow shoppers seem to be the ones who just don't "get" distancing. Perhaps this is related to hearing loss and cognitive decline. But they'll "get" a cough, all right. That's been the signal of "keep away" since they were kids.

I was standing in line for Old People Hour, and chatting with the next person 6 feet up. He pointed out the fellow first in line, who was wearing a red bandana over his nose and mouth, Old West style. "See that guy? A month ago, we'd have thought he was going to rob the place."

I use a nice square kerchief I found lying around the house, fold it into a triangle, cover my nose and below, and tie it behind my head. Presto. Mask on. Or 'face covering' anyway, lol. Seems to be accepted by all. No compliments, however. Oh, well...

I use a nice square kerchief I found lying around the house, fold it into a triangle, cover my nose and below, and tie it behind my head. Presto. Mask on. Or 'face covering' anyway, lol. Seems to be accepted by all..

+1, same here. It works, and I already had a supply of bandanas, so no need to buy or make anything new.

We already had a supply of bananas too, so I tried it, it didn't work out. A guy fell down behind me.

We already had a supply of bananas too, so I tried it, it didn't work out. A guy fell down behind me.

:ROFLMAO: :2funny:

OK, I didn't have any bandanas (or bananas, either! LOL). Also I am kind of goofy and clumsy at things involving manual dexterity, like tying a bandana to work like a mask. So I ordered a mask from Etsy and it was delivered this afternoon. :) After I run it through the wash I'll be all set.

When they ask you to wear a mask reply "do you have some I can buy"

A local farmer is selling 270 - 290 pound live hogs for $100. They were destined for a local processing plant which closed.

A local farmer is selling 270 - 290 pound live hogs for $100. They were destined for a local processing plant which closed.
Heck of a price. I have slaughtered, scalded, and scraped 3 hogs a long time ago, no thanks.

You have not experienced life until you dip a hog into a vat of boiling water.

Last edited:
^ Couldn't you hire one of the displaced workers to do it for you?

I'd take you up on that offer, but things got messed up in the past week. DW and I picked up our annual beef last Saturday, the 25th, it was sent to the butcher's on the 12th. After the kill, gutting, hanging, processing,wrapping, and freezing, almost 2 weeks. My niece, wanted a beef from my friend, he can't get it to the same butcher now til July 10th! That's how much business has picked up since the meat shortage fears came to light.

I will get back to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom