Have you eaten cat food? Seriously.

On a trip to Peru we visited a village and were allowed to view inside a typical rural home. I asked why the high door sill and they pointed out that the guinea pigs were running loose in the house.

Yikes. My friend told me she had pet chickens until one day they became her dinner. :(

Louisiana had a state sponsored TV program a long while ago(aka before Katrina) with a ranked Chef showing various ways to prepare Nutria.

The buggers are hard on wetlands!

heh heh heh - :cool:

Years ago when I was a pet owner I tried dog and cat food just for the heck of it. Although it smelled good and actually looked appetizing it was pretty terrible tasting and kind of gritty or at least more texture than it appeared. I remember hearing dog food was required by the gov't to be fit for human consumption because in bad times poor folks would buy it as a cheap substitute in order to get by but that may be an urban legend.

After having spent many business trips to various spots in Louisiana, I probably ate stuff that was not fit to be cat food!:LOL:

I tried the dried stuff when I was a child. It needs salt.

Hahaha I was worried that I was the only one! I actually tried the dry cat food when I was young. It just had a very bland, dry taste that was not impressive. It actually makes me wonder why they eat it so quickly?

I always thought cats had a tremendous sense of smell. I had a cat that could be in another room when I used a can opener to crack the seal on a can of tuna. That cat appeared by my feet in under two seconds thinking it was for him. It was uncanny how he knew.

More likely it was the sound of the can opener.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I have never eaten cat food, but I have involuntarily tasted dabs of it because somehoe it ended up in my mouth. The fish one wasn't awful tasted like tuna, the chicken one was pretty awful and quickly spit it out.

Last edited:
Never tempted to try cat food, nor was ever curious. The wet canned type usually smelled awful, though my cats just loved it. The stinkier, the more they liked it, it seemed.

And speaking of cat eating habits, they do have very individual tastes. One of mine loved corn, and we always shared with her some kernels whenever we had corn on the cob. One loved raw red meat or cooked meat, while another never ate human food. Some loved sweet condensed milk.

I am currently without a cat. Ours died a few months ago, and I need some kitty love right now. However, my wife reminded me that having one would be a drawback if we want to travel more.

Last edited:
Never tempted to try cat food, nor was ever curious. The wet canned type usually smelled awful, though my cats just loved it. The stinkier, the more they liked it, it seemed.

And speaking of cat eating habits, they do have very individual tastes. One of mine loved corn, and we always shared with her some kernels whenever we had corn on the cob. One loved raw red meat or cooked meat, while another never ate human food. Some loved sweet condensed milk.

I am currently without a cat. Ours died a few months ago, and I need some kitty love right now. However, my wife reminded me that having one would be a drawback if we want to travel more.

My cat of almost 15 years died back in Aug. Something get easier as you get older losing your pets isn't one of them.

I did plan on waiting a bit before getting new cats and got some travel in. However, I got a chance to get two Maine Coons kittens for Halloween. I've always wanted Maine Coons (they are the biggest cat breed and their nickname gentle giants really fits them). So I said I'll figure out travel later.

I can say that after two months there is a great chance they'll be my favorite can ever. They are already 10 lbs well on their way to the 20+ lbs I expect them to be. For a cat lover, a house without a cat isn't a home.

My mom told me stories about growing up poor in SF. Her mom would send her to the butcher to ask for liver "for the cat", which he gave away for free. People just didn't eat organ meat. So I guess you could say she ate cat food. BTW they didn't have a cat.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I can't believe this thread is still going on, and in a forum well populated with millionaires! I love our members here but outsiders must think us to be a very strange bunch. :D

I can't believe this thread is still going on, and in a forum well populated with millionaires! I love our members here but outsiders must think us to be a very strange bunch. :D

:D :LOL: :LOL: :dance: ;)

Strange?

heh heh heh - INTJ, left-handed, retired at 50, quasi anti work. Quirky maybe but surely not strange. :rolleyes: :greetings10:

At some time in my life I would like to have a Serval. When I get one of them, I will probably be eating cat food since I think I will have to feed that thing steak... hahaha

But the way many people got here is by questioning conventional thought about how a person "should" live. Once you reject "you have to wait until 65" it tends to put other shoulds and should nots up for reevaluation.

Cat food is still in my should-not column b/c it's stinky. But crickets? I've come close to ordering a little pack on Amazon to try. They make a lot of nutritional sense and supposedly taste good.

Num Num Num! I like my potted meat food product. My favorite sandwich spread. I have a few cans of Fancy Feast in my cooler I carry in my truck all the time, too. Mainly for Pal, (my German Shepherd), or any cats at the hunt club clubhouse. I have come close to opening a can of Ocean Whitefish before.

Seriously, if I were in a pinch I could eat it. We eat hot dogs, sardines and all that kind of stuff anyways. Fancy Feast has all sorts of different flavors and ingredients. If you want to try something terrible...try eating Gerber's Chicken Baby Food. I don't know how humans can eat that stuff.

Attachments

• Lunch-10 (3).jpg
    Lunch-10 (3).jpg
    209.7 KB · Views: 10
But the way many people got here is by questioning conventional thought about how a person "should" live. Once you reject "you have to wait until 65" it tends to put other shoulds and should nots up for reevaluation.

Cat food is still in my should-not column b/c it's stinky. But crickets? I've come close to ordering a little pack on Amazon to try. They make a lot of nutritional sense and supposedly taste good.
Never interested in nor curious about crickets or grasshoppers. I would hate having to floss the little legs or wings off my teeth, or brush them off my gumline.

Someone told me about chocolate-covered grasshoppers. That might sweeten the deal for people who have an inquiring mind (pun intended).

They are very crunchy (with teriyaki kind of sauce if you get them from Japan). I have eaten them in Japan a few times (you can get them at Izakaya's there, or you can buy them at department stores - usually the basement floor where foods are sold.)

NW-Bound, I've never had chocolate covered crickets but I did try chocolate covered ants. It was a small chocolate cube and it was crunchy like a Nestlé's Crunch bar.

Back
Top Bottom