Hi tech washing machine

Breedlove

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
We have been moving from our city house and selling it and moving to the country . This is part of our downsizing Our city house was 2400 sq ft our country home is just 1000sf . So downsizing has been brutal , kind of a savior is we have a pretty good size barn for storage !
Now DW gave her washer dryer up with the old house so she had to buy a new one . The new one is Hi tech one unit , requires no dryer venting uses less water and washes and drys in one unit . Also runs on 120V

This thing is great throw your clothes in , washes them , drys them . You pull them out hang them up no wrinkles and takes up half the space of two units.
The only downside it takes around 2 1/2 hours from start to finish . Feel like the Jetsons !

The new generation Bosch dishwasher takes 2 hours to wash with little water. My old Kitchenaid took 1 hour to wash and dry with air. The new dishwasher used heat from the dishes to dry the dishes.

We bought a Speed Queen washer/dryer--last of the old generation.

We bought a Speed Queen washer/dryer--last of the old generation.
That had been my goal if the old Kenmore made by Whirlpool set I have now ever wear out to the point that I can't fix them. But around the beginning of this year, the old solid Speed Queen design was replaced by a new generation, which is not repeating the legend. So now I have no idea of a what-next. :(

That had been my goal if the old Kenmore made by Whirlpool set I have now ever wear out to the point that I can't fix them. But around the beginning of this year, the old solid Speed Queen design was replaced by a new generation, which is not repeating the legend. So now I have no idea of a what-next. :(
I’d planned to buy a Speed Queen when/if our 25 yo Whirlpool ever dies. Where can I read more about the issues with that new gen SQ? I didn’t find anything using search other than announcements of the new gen.

.... This thing is great throw your clothes in , washes them , drys them . You pull them out hang them up no wrinkles and takes up half the space of two units.
The only downside it takes around 2 1/2 hours from start to finish . Feel like the Jetsons !

What make/model do you have? How noisy is it?

Our washer and dryer are about 20 years old, both still working great. The dryer door has significant rust on the inside. So, DW's logic is we've gotten out money's worth, time to replace it. Oh, and since we're replacing the dryer, might as well get a new washer too.

We got a very good price from Memorial Day sale for LG brand, but it doesn't change the fact I'm now $1500 poorer!

after trying a HE front loader and big box top loader many repairs later we finally went to 2016 speed queen pair. Very happy with the decision.

Last edited:
Shocking, once considered the best washing machine you could buy although very expensive.

https://www.consumerreports.org/was...n-tr7-review-top-loader-isnt-laundry-royalty/
The Speed Queen TR7 (model number AWNE9RSN115TW01) holds the distinction of being both the worst-performing washing machine of the 100-plus full-sized models in our ratings, as well as the most expensive agitator top-loader. For the premium price, you could buy two machines in the same category that get a Very Good score for washing performance (aka cleaning).

Speed Queen has a loyal following that raves about the sturdiness of its machines. Indeed, the brand is tops in CR’s reliability ratings [prior model years, the new one unknown].

You’ll find agitator top-loaders in CR’s washing machine ratings that sell from $270 to $800. The Speed Queen TR7 costs $1,040, yet it has the smallest claimed capacity of any agitator model, at 3.2 cubic feet.

My +20 year old Kenmore washer and dryer keeps on ticking. Did give both a new top coat with 'appliance spray paint' to cover some of the wear and rust spots.

A vacation rental I was at a couple years ago had one of those combo washer/dryers the OP referenced. Don't recall the manufacturer but the dryer function was terrible. Even after 3 hrs. in dryer mode the cloths were still damp.

This thing is great throw your clothes in , washes them , drys them . You pull them out hang them up no wrinkles and takes up half the space of two units.
What make/model do you have? How noisy is it?

I'm curious too! Any further info about your new high tech washer/dryer machine? I love the idea of not having to move wet clothes from the washer to the dryer half way through the whole process.

Our washer and dryer are about 20 years old, both still working great. The dryer door has significant rust on the inside. So, DW's logic is we've gotten out money's worth, time to replace it. Oh, and since we're replacing the dryer, might as well get a new washer too.

We got a very good price from Memorial Day sale for LG brand, but it doesn't change the fact I'm now $1500 poorer!

Too bad you couldn't convince her to spray paint the inside of the door and only be $4 poorer ;)

Now DW gave her washer dryer up with the old house so she had to buy a new one . The new one is Hi tech one unit , requires no dryer venting uses less water and washes and drys in one unit . Also runs on 120V
. . .
The other downside is the complexity of the thing and the cost of repairs. It has a condenser and coil inside (you'll need to clean the lint off of that coil every few months). When that condenser (which is like those in a dehumidifier) crumps out, the price of the new proprietary part will be a revelation. And, since it uses refrigerant, it'll take someone with HVAC tools, knowledge, and certificates to fix it. Cha-ching!
They may save energy in extreme climates (because the don't send interior heated/cooled air outside), and they do prevent depressurization of the building envelope. But on moderate climates I'd think the paypack period might be decades. With repair costs, maybe never.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom